Your 'to-be-read' list

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

I envy you, reading Malazan for the first time. Erikson is the most complete writer I have read (except perhaps for Gene Wolfe, but in a totally different way). Enjoy the journey!

Safari Bob likes this.
  2. Dtyler99

Prince of Nothing IS strange...

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Gardens of the Moon has been on my bedside table for almost a year. I need to find some more time to read fantasy too.

Safari Bob likes this.
  4. Diziet Sma

I’m almost finished with Butler’s Patternmaster. Next, I would like to manage a better balanced 5 book list. I find it I get very excited and carried away by new recs I pick up from here, but then I saturate myself by reading only SF and therefore I don’t get to enjoy or learn as much as I should do from some great books.
    So there!
    • Science Fiction: It is high time I start with Le Guin: The Left Hand of the Darkness.
    • Fantasy: Not sure whether to stick to Le Guin and her Earthsea Cycle#1, or begin with Steven’s Gardens of the Moon or Gemmell’s Legend or perhaps continue with M. Sullivan and begin The Riyria Revelations#1. I shall see...
    • Historical fiction: Musashi#1 by E. Yoshikawa. @Boreas, I will let you know when I begin this, in case you still feel like a re-read.
    • Noir: D. Silva’s The Kill Artist.
    • Classic: The Egyptian by M Waltari.
    It looks great!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  5. Dtyler99

Re: LeGuin The Left Hand of Darkness: A must-read. You take from it what you put into it.

Re: Steven Erikson: Yikes! Gardens of the Moon is almost a prequel to the Malazan world. Read it if you plan to stick with the series because it's a pretty difficult book to get into (Erickson dumps you in the deep end on page 1 and assumes you can swim). From the second volume on -- Deadhouse Gates -- the story is epic and mind-boggling, but GotM lays down vital arcs and beats. I find Erickson's epic fantasy writing voice to be authentic, sure, and masterful.

You may have reservations about reading A Wizard of Earthsea if you are reading LHoD, but aside from LeGuin's accomplished writing, they are each completely different beasts.

In any event, enjoy!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Thanks, @Dtyler99! So, I need to read the Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates before I decide whether I’d like to continue with this series or not...

Dtyler99 likes this.
  7. Dtyler99

In a nutshell, yes. But that's 1500 pages combined and it is not a small commitment. I know many who put down GotM and never got further, which is unfortunate, but to each his or her own. The series demands a hell of a lot from the reader but the rewards are manifold. You will never see the world the same way and characters, places, and emotions will stay with you always. Of course, everyone's mileage will vary.

8. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I have always said that you really need to read the first 5 books before you can decide if it's for you or not. A big commitment I know, but there's so much variety between books 1-5, that I think you need to give it a go before giving up!

Books 3 and 5 are like literary orgasms!

Diziet Sma and Dtyler99 like this.
  9. Dtyler99

6, 8, & 10 ain't bad, either!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  10. Diziet Sma

Well, after your comments @Dtyler99 and @TomTB, how could I not possibly go for it...?

TomTB and Dtyler99 like this.
  11. Dtyler99

Watch what you ask for...you might just get it! :D

Diziet Sma likes this.
  12. Diziet Sma

Seven weeks left in 2017. Do you have any books in mind you would like to read before the year's end, or would you just go with the flow?

In my case:
    • Science Fiction: Finishing The Years of Rice and Salt.
    • Fantasy: most likely Weaveworld by C. Barker.
    • Historical fiction: either Genghis: Birth of an Empire by C. Iggulden or a book based on the historical figure of Lope de Aguirre (no an English title) by R. J Sender.
    • Non-fiction: I would just like to have a go at Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness Are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe by R. Lanza. This is a challenge for me. I’m extremely intrigued by Lanza’s theories but I feel apprehensive about this book considering that my background is in Humanities and not in Science. I will have to try my best.
    Ah! In my spare time, I need to increase my running training, as I have stupidly agreed on participating on a half-marathon in late spring. Duh!

What about you?

13. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I hope to read Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams. It is one of his most popular books, and I'm on a WJW kick now because I just finished his first ever epic fantasy book, Quillifer, which was absolutely great. He just nailed the genre and in fact used the most precise rendering of chivalric mores and speaking and action. It's medieval nirvana and I recommend it for everyone. An instant classic and the first of a new series.

https://www.amazon.com/Quillifer-Wa...UTF8&qid=1510580563&sr=1-1&keywords=quillifer

Diziet Sma likes this.
  14. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I plan on rereading A Christmas Carol this Christmas Eve.

15. Diziet Sma

A real classic. Love it!

Safari Bob likes this.