Your 'to-be-read' list

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Over the last year, I've become increasingly scatter-brained. I think a large reason for it is my Kindle. I've come to love its ease of access and efficiency during travel, but the major disadvantage is that with so many titles at my fingertips, I get lost for choice on which one I should start next, or I end up starting multiple titles and then get bogged down even if I'm enjoying them.

In an effort to bring a little order to my reading I'm going to try listing a few titles that I definitely want to get through in the immediate future. Not too many, just enough to keep it manageable, say circa five works.

SF & F

Orbus (Spatterjay #3) by Neal Asher
    The Past Through Tomorrow by Robert A. Heinlein

Other

Either Mansfield Park or Persuasion, the two Austen novels I have remaining & which I've been putting off for a year now.

I'm already on two SF works and I've got one non-SF work on hold. Will finish the SF works and get on to these.

What's on your immediate to-be-read list? And do you usually stick to it?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I keep buying books, mostly digital, and the only way I can manage to keep them organized in a sensible way is through GoodReads. It is visually tidy, subdivided by genres and comments I have made about specific books. I love browsing through my TBR shelf.

There are books I feel I should read in order to complete some series and not leave too many loose ends. These two are maybes:
    • Dust by H Howey.
    • The Fall of Endymion by Simmons.
    These I would like to read soon:
    • Another Culture book by Banks: I own Excession, Surface Detail and Consider Phlebas. I’m leaning towards Excession.
    • Bear's Darwin’s Radio first book.
    • Seed to Harvest Tetralogy by O Butler. Book I

Non-SF.
    Embers by Márai Sándor
    Rise to Power (The David Chronicles) by U Poznansky. If I like this one, there are 6 more books in the series.
    Julian by G Vidal

I have other titles but not English ones.

Well, definitely more than 5 books and considering how easily I tend to get distracted by other recs, it will be interesting to see whether I tick any of these off in the near future.

3. Boreas

Good choice! It's an insane book. And it has my favourite aliens. I think you should also consider reading The Player of Games soon - it's the shortest and most straightforward, linear and focused of the Culture works. And I keep finding more to it each time I read it.
    This is also on my to-be-read list amongst a whole bunch of others by Vidal.

4. Diziet Sma

Not sure what to say..! I haven't got The Players of Game, so I think I will pick the insane one;)

5. Diziet Sma

I have been given The player of Games. Not in English though.:oops: I already know it's going to feel weird reading Banks in another language. I avoid translations as much as I can but, as it is a gift, how does the saying go...? "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

6. Boreas

I would be curious to see if it makes for a smooth and compelling read in Spanish. But just in case you decide you do want to read in English, check your mailbox for a link. Are you going to read it first?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Diziet Sma

Thank you B! Well, given the choice, I won't be reading it in Spanish so we will never know...:)
    Yes, I will be reading it first.

8. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

My to be read is daunting, with up to thousands of titles per genre. So I'll give you my goals of this year to be read that I haven't started yet.

Uncle Tom's cabin,
    Paradise lost
    All of Verne and wells
    American gods
    Dragonflight
    Reread all of Lovecraft
    Conan
    Bloodheir

9. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

The only ones I know for sure that I will read are the new installments of ongoing favorite series: Age of Swords by Michael Sullivan; The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan; The Fall of Dragons by Miles Cameron; Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson; The Green Count by Christian (aka Miles) Cameron.

10. Boreas

I'll be done with the books on my previous TBR list soon, so here's my next list which I hope to also stick to without deviation/distraction:

Reamde by Neal Stephenson
    The Solitude of Thomas Cave by Georgina Harding
    Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

And one crime/thriller fiction title that I haven't decided upon, yet.

Edit: Also Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky (thanks to @TomTB for the inducement)

Have the rest of you been sticking to your TBR lists?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. Diziet Sma

I haven’t done too badly with my list considering how capricious I can be when choosing my next read.
    I would like to read the following:
    • Snowcrash by N Stephenson
    • Excession by I Banks
    • I do want to try U Le Guin but I’m unsure whether to go for her fantasy or SF books. My sister has lent me her complete Earthsea Cycle series. I have bought The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness.
    • I also feel like exploring more Hard SF. I have Darwin’s Children by G Bear or maybe another book by A C Clarke either Childhood's End or The City and the Stars.
    • The Years of Rice and Salt by R K Stanley
    • Musashi: The Way of the Samurai by E. Yoshikawa.

12. Boreas

I'm also keen to re-read this. I remember you said that this was available in Spanish in multiple volumes instead of a single book. Did you get them all?

13. Diziet Sma

Yes, I bought the first book of the trilogy, around 500pages. The Last Legend of the Samurai is comprised of three parts: Earth, Water, and Fire (This is my own translation, not sure how it is structured nor translated in your English edition)
    The following two books are:
    Musashi II The Way of the Sword. Wind and Sky/Heaven??
    MusashiIII. The Perfect Light. The Sun and The Moon, The Absolute Perfection (again, my own free translation)
    I will get these over the summer holiday and will begin to read it hopefully soon.

14. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Sooo long. The rest of the St Mary's series by Jodi Taylor. A Pat Cardigan antho. Luna:Wolf Moon. Djano Wexler. And a few new authors - Claire Savage's Magical Masquerade as it's just up the road (fantasy though) and a writing friend called Thomas Watson's.

15. Boreas

My one volume edition is simply titled Musashi and is separated into seven sections or volumes:

Book 1: Earth, 1st ch. "The Little Bell"
    Book 2: Water, 1st ch. "The Yoshioka School"
    Book 3: Fire, 1st ch. "Sasaki Kojirō"
    Book 4: Wind, 1st ch. "The Withered Field"
    Book 5: Sky, 1st ch. "The Abduction"
    Book 6: Sun and Moon, 1st ch. "A Chat with the Men"
    Book 7: The Perfect Light, 1st ch. "The Runaway Ox"

16. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Deadhouse Gates
    Memories of Ice
    House of Chains
    Nemesis Games
    Babylon's Ashes

Dtyler99 likes this.
  17. Diziet Sma

All clear now! I do want to read it soon. However, I might take a little break in between the Musashis, unless TLLotS swallows me whole.

18. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

You'll enjoy the Malazan books post Gardens of the Moon (which reminds me of the first season of Babylon 5; interesting, but not fascinating). Things really pick up and if you stick with the series, you will be richly rewarded. Ever read Bakker's The Prince of Nothing books? Strange, debilitating.

19. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I have not yet read that series. I really did enjoy Gardens of the Moon and I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

20. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Love Malazan so much. It has its low points for sure, but even these are superbly written and leave an impression. Prince of Nothing, on the other hand, I gave up with after 125 pages.