Who are your fave SF characters?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Kanly, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

A few of my faves off the top of my head:

Paul Muad'Dib
    Duncan Idaho
    Captain Kirk
    Spock
    Lt. Ellen Ripley
    R. Daneel Olivaw
    Susan Calvin
    Scorpio
    Captain John Sheridan
    Leeloo

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

My first choice from the Dune novels is actually Leto Atreides II. A complex character who makes the ultimate sacrifice by fully accepting the consequences of the 'golden path', a plan which even his father had not strength enough to embark on. My second choice from the Dune cycle would be Duncan Idaho.

Cletus Grahame - the ultimate tactician from Dickson's Tactics of Mistake.

It's got to be the triumvirate of Kirk/Spock/Dr. Bones. This whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Ilia Volvoya, one of my favourite female characters in SF, and from Revelation Space. Stoic, super-intelligent, beautiful and the completely unaugmented 1/3 of the triumvirate captains of Nostalgia for Infinity. Also the Conjoiner Nevil Clavain, who is an old and experienced strategist and warrior.

Paula Myo, another fantastically stoic, super-intelligent detective from the Commonwealth duology. The best thing about that duology aside from the introduction of MLM.

Scorpius from Farscape. One of the most fully fleshed out villains with complex and changing motivations.

Ellen Ripley, the baddest of the badass heroines in any universe. No uncharacteristically tough attitude or facade, no super-heroism, no killing strength or unrealistic physicality, just an individual who rises to the challenge and horror and fear, and pushes through with grit and determination. Every. Single. Time.

GSV/e Sleeper Service, OU/e Mistake Not..., GOU/Picket Ship Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints, ROU Killing Time. All Culture ships/Minds. And Fivetide Humidyear, the Affront, from Excession.

The Prador Vrell and the war drone Sniper from the Spatterjay trilogy.

3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Ford Prefect
    The Mule
    Ellie Arroway
    Lando (B5)

4. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Nigel and Ozzie from The Commonweath series by Peter Hamilton
    Jack and Eliza from The Baroque Style by Neal Stephenson (Stephenson says it's SF)
    Mark Watney from The Martian

5. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Every answer I could think of came up a little cliche.

So I'm going with Han Solo.

6. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

It's just about characters you like, so if they're cliche or not doesn't really matter. Han Solo is a great character but pretty cliche too, don't ya think? ;) And my first choice was cliche AF.

7. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

It is almost as if my post was satire.

I really do like Han Solo as a unique soul who can be viewed alternately as protagonist, ensemble equal and supporting character. He is out of his depth, trapped, yet maintains control and grace throughout.

The problem for me in picking a favorite character is that any character sufficiently detailed to have real depth is inextricably linked to the story they develop in; of course someone who likes Use of Weapons likes Zakalwe - it's a package deal. Which is why people's favorite characters are so often serialized characters that offer frequent views without being intimately connected to a single plot - Batman, Picard, Sherlock, etc.

The very best plots are also the development/revelation of the protagonist. It is impossible to separate them.

8. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

ehehehe...that flew by me. But I got the sarcasm this time! ;)

9. Boreas

Since @Tiran got me thinking of Banks' Against a Dark Background in the space opera thread, I have to say that Lady Sharrow is also one of my favourite characters in SF.

10. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Have you ever read the unprinted epilogue with Sharrow and the android?

11. Boreas

No, I haven't! I was told about it existing some years ago, but I never did seek it out. And strangely, I also still haven't read Banks' essay, "Notes on the Culture".

12. Amelia

Amelia New Member

Zaphod Beeblebrox and the alien worms from Men in Black

Boreas likes this.
  13. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Kerr Avon - great character
    Servalan - ditto. I disgraced myself by fangirlling at Jacqueline Pearce recently
    Paul Atreides
    Cordelia Vorkosigan - because sf still doesn't have enough great female characters and she is fabulous