What's New on the Science Fiction Frontier

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by btkong, Jun 2, 2015.

1. btkong

btkong Administrator Staff Member

This thread keeps us all updated about the new, noteworthy science fiction releases this year. I'll compile this list into a big list by month of the major releases.

So post any major science fiction releases this year.

2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Nemesis Games, released today! Book 5 of the Expanse series (James S A Corey).

3. Dom Brown

Dom Brown New Member

HYPERION CANTOS one of thee greatest sci fi literary masterpieces there is on this mundane planet is getting turned into a TV SERIES!!

This could be as big as Game Of Thrones... or very big in any case.

If you havent read it, you have to, its essential Sci Fi reading, its usually in the top 10 of any massive best sci fi book lists, and it really is very good, tho I know some people dont like it because its a slow burner and a little high brow in its delivery.

Im excited... tho im a little disappointed with Bradley Cooper being attached. Hes gone down in my estimations recently for some of his less than noble acting work.

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm covering my enthusiasm under an armour of cautious scepticism. I'm also not much enamoured with Bradley Cooper. I wish people with his high-profile would attempt something original or adapt something less epic to allow people to see whether they have the chops. But no, they always want to jump in the deep end and risk screwing it up. There is a a link left in the 'Upcoming Film and TV' thread under the "Film & TV" subforum.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  5. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I really hope this ends up being a stunning series, but I too am highly sceptical that this will be adapted to tv in the way it deserves to be.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen how that channel adapt The Expanse, one of my favorite books/series of late.

6. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

See, I'm much more confident about The Expanse. That's a pretty straightforward and simple story and with simple characters (with the exception of Miller) that mainly requires a lot of CGI and good sets/dioramas. Sure, casting is always important, but it can get away with average casting as long as the production is top-tier. Hyperion is a very different beast, levels more complex in the way it's told, the themes it works with and the deep emotions that its tales evoke. It seriously needs a stellar cast and script. Someone like the recently departed Christopher Lee could have played the Priest's role to perfection. Charles Dance could, too. Each of the characters require actors that exude a presence that isn't easily available for TV casts.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

The sequel to The Lazarus War: Artefact, titled The Lazarus War: Legion, dropped today and I'm dropping everything to read it. It will be that good, because the first book, a debut by Jamie Sawyer, was spectacular.

8. btkong

btkong Administrator Staff Member

Well just to update this.

We've had 10 TV Episodes of The Expanse series so far. And so far, I'd rate it the best science fiction show aired on TV so far.

It starts slow and it's hard to tie all the threads together, but by episode 3 or 4, the whole thing finally clicks. Wonderfully done so far. It's been picked up for a Season 2 practically as soon as the first couple episodes aired.

9. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

The highly anticipated fourth book in the Rebel Stars series by Edward Robertson is hitting on May 30 2016. This series is the successor to his very popular eight-book Breakers series about alien invasion set on Earth. It's been a millennium since the action in Breakers and the aliens have never returned, but now that humans have been very busy in the solar system, indications are they are coming back.

http://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Rebel-S...1459956016&sr=1-1&keywords=rebel stars book 3