What SF book are you currently reading? (2015-16)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I've not heard of that one! Let us know if it's good and whether that time travelling ever materialises :)

2. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

I started Endymion by Dan Simmons.

3. TomTB

Yeah I was thinking of carrying on with my Hyperion journey soon. I've just got SO many books on my TBR list that I never get round to it ..

4. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

Me too. I kept putting it off, but it started off great I'm glad I finally got to it!

5. TomTB

I was a tad worried that I would forget parts of both Hyperion books when I eventually picked up Endymion, but I recently discovered it has a Wiki page with quite detailed summaries, so when I do get round to them, I'll check them out first!

6. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I will do. I think I picked this one up as an Amazon freebie, but any book that starts with Einstein quotes has to have some merit.

7. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I've finished "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson and am almost a quarter way through Ernest Cline's "Armada".

8. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I finished Time Storm Shockwave by Julienne Farnsworth and the time travel did return, but although it was a fairly enjoyable read, it's not top of my recommendation list. I've got a few non-fiction books on temporal physics in my reading pile at the mo, but I think I might look for a good space opera when I finish these. Recommendations welcome!

9. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

My top recs for space operas are any of Peter Hamilton's series (I think his Pandora's Star duology is great) and Walter Jon Williams' Dread Empire's Fall series starting with Praxis and The Greatship trilogy by Robert Reed and The Legend of Zero series by Sara King and Elizabeth Moon's Serrano and Vatta series'. Except for Pandora's Star and The Greatship, these are military space opera. Other non-military space operas are The Expanse series and of course Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space trilogy preceded by his short story collection Galactic North as a primer.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

Thanks! I haven't read any of those so I'll check them out.

11. TomTB

Reading Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. 10% in and it seems to be a fairly fast paced book, and I like where the story is going, but I can't see how it's going to be in any way original. I hope I'm proven wrong.

12. Boreas

That's on my list, too. Looking forward to your opinion of it.

13. TomTB

Will do. I went into it completely blind not knowing anything about it ... I'd just read a comment on another forum saying it was awesome, then noticed it had dropped drastically in price on kindle, so I bought it. Looks to have been a good move on my part, a quarter of the way in now and it's pretty damn good!

14. kenubrion

Outlaw: Rebel Stars, book 2 of one of those many continuing space operas being written these days. The first book, Rebels, was good, well written and exciting.

Also The Best of Michael Swanwick, 21 short stories, five of which are Hugo winners, $2.99 on Kindle US. The most astonishing writing I've ever had the fortune to read. Hard sci-fi and mesmerizing fantasy.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  15. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

That's a pretty high recommendation for an author! I prefer novels over short stories but might have to give Swanwick a gander.

16. kenubrion

Cool. Don't judge him by the Darger and Surplus stories or books. Even he thinks it's odd that he's most well known for his lesser efforts. For $2.99 you not only get his five Hugo winners, but his fantasy is just so good. The Changling is my favorite in that collection. I'm reading his Stations of the Tide novel, very good hard sci-fi. Most of his novels are not Kindle-ized, and if I could bring myself to read a paperback again it would be his Iron Dragons's Daughter.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  17. TomTB

Finished Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. This was a great book; it's a story set just before and some time after an influenza outbreak brings about the end of civilisation as we know it. The time line jumps continually to either side of the flu outbreak, following the various but associated characters on their journeys of pain, loss, acceptance and change.
    It's not action packed for anyone expecting something like, idk, World War Z, and it's not as emotionally charged as books like The Road, but rather it sits somewhere in the middle. It's character focused, with plenty of internal monologue - this is one of those books that isn't necessarily geared up towards a big ending, it's more focused on the journey.

A very well written book which I would thoroughly recommend, and would give 8/10. My only gripe would be that certain elements were a tad predictable, but that's not a big issue.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    ofer and Boreas like this.
  18. Boreas

I'm about a 130 pages into Pride and Prejudice, but I also feel the need to read some SF so I'm going to start the last instalment of Conor Kostick's Avatar Chronicles, Edda.

19. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I tend to get used paperbacks when they're cheaper than Kindle. Big publishers take note! Sometimes their pricing can be silly.

20. kenubrion

Decided to see if there was a science/fantasy hybrid subgenre and there is, Ben's number 1 rec is A Game of Universe by Eric Nylund, and it's absolutely great. You have to at least sample this. Unlike anything I've ever read, and has a Heroes Die vibe with the mix of genres. Only $2.99 for 378 pages of greatness and excitement.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Universe...1440253512&sr=8-1&keywords=a+game+of+universe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.