What SF book are you currently reading? (2015-16)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

True, it wasn't masterful prose, but I don't expect it to be so to call it good. It was satisfactory, but I found it rough at certain moments (and some of the dialogue I did find awkward). What I really meant to highlight was that it was odd how despite its roughness there were brief moments when it managed to be compelling. Also, I honestly didn't find the approach that modern - the whole introduction of technologies with BrainPal and others felt very old-fashioned, as did the military set-up and the aliens. Still, it was a quick read and I ended up enjoying it more during the last third.

So, what's everyone reading? I'm on Simon Ings' "Wolves" (the first few chapters have been bleak). Still have Stephenson's "Seveneves" waiting for me.

2. Boreas

Okay, I decided to hold off on Ings' "Wolves" and started Kostick's "Epic" yesterday. "Wolves" was turning out to be a little too bleak during its initial chapters (though strikingly written) and I needed something a little lighter, especially after Polanksy's "Tomorrow, the Killing" which, keeping faith with its noir styling, is already overtly heavy on the cynicism with regards to the base motivations of man and government. "Epic" is easy to read and light-hearted whilst dealing with some dystopian issues in a fun way. I've been zipping through it and will likely be done today itself.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. Boreas

Finished "Epic" by Conor Kostick and review posted on the blog. @ofer, this one will interest you.

ofer likes this.
  4. Boreas

Finished Conor Kostick's "Saga" and Simon Ings' "Wolves". I've now started Neal Stephenson's "Seveneves". I'll be looking forward to hearing what you thought of it after I'm done @Haven.

5. Khartun

Khartun Full Member

Just started Old Man's War.

6. Boreas

How are you finding it? I also have the sequel but haven't started on it, yet.

7. ofer

ofer Regular Member

Finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. A quick, fun, and amusing read. The book satirize an aspect in popular sci-fi. Best leave it at that to avoid spoilers, even though you can guess quite easily what it's satirizing at the beginning of the book. The book comes in 2 parts - the main story, and then 3 short, more serious short stories which happens after the main one.

Earlier this month, I read Wool by Hugh Howey, which I did not enjoy as much as I did reading Scalzi's book. Wool has a great start and very interesting settings, but somehow did not seem to fully deliver on its initial promise. It wasn't all bad - there were bits in the book where I couldn't put it down - but overall there were long parts during which the story just fizzled.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  8. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I hear quite contrasting views on Wool. It's on my TBR list, but I don't own it, and probably won't buy it until I see it on offer.

9. hand of fear

hand of fear New Member

I really did enjoy Wool, but knowing our track record you may not. Shift I also enjoyed, not quite as much as Wool but still really good, and Dust is on my TBR pile.

10. TomTB

I'm certain I'll like it from what I've read about it, but then again I thought that about Altered Carbon too, and look where that got me!

11. hand of fear

hand of fear New Member

Same here, despite our differences on some books I think you will like Wool though.

TomTB likes this.
  12. TomTB

I will be starting Armada by Ernie Cline right after I finish the fantasy book I'm currently reading.

13. Boreas

Me too! My pre-order arrived today and I'm tempted to start it despite being in the middle of "Seveneves". But I thought you weren't quite so enamoured with Cline's "Ready Player One" so I'm surprised you got it immediately.

14. TomTB

I'd pre-ordered it and completely forgot I had! So it was waiting for me this morning when I woke up :)

No I wasn't a HUGE fan of RPO, but still enjoyed it ... enough to pre-order this one in any case! Plus I'm making a concerted effort to read more 'new' books. Before this year I don't think I had ever read a book published in the same year...

15. Haven

Haven Full Member

My current reads/have reads (English is a really, really messed up language sometimes):
    • The Rebirths of Tao by Wesley Chu: Good, if a little boring and slightly long winded
    • Time Salvager by Wesley Chu: This was pretty disappointing since I found the whole book pretty meh. Nothing groundbreaking here.
    • Armada by Ernest Cline: Honestly this book is pretty similar to RPO. But its a pretty entertaining book, and should probably be read that way. If you could somehow read RPO and Armada at the same time, it would be the best experience ever ( for a geek).

16. btkong

btkong Administrator Staff Member

Armada by Ernest Cline. If you liked Ready Player One or a good old fashion science fiction adventure with geeky gaming, and sci-fi pop culture references all the way through, read.

I just finished of The Water Knife which was a pretty good read, though not Paolo Bacigalupi's best.

17. Boreas

Unfortunately, my expected reading time on Sunday went down the drain as I ended up going hiking for most of the day - came back exhausted around 20:00, showered, ate and went to bed. I believe I'll be having more time this week than last, so I hope I can make substantial headway into "Seveneves".

18. TomTB

So just about 50% into Armada, and I'm feeling much the same as I did with Ready Player One. It's ok, but nothing special.

The similarities to Ender's Game are a bit ridiculous as well.

19. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

Finished The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. One of the weirdest books I've ever read, but I really enjoyed it. There was a fair amount of humor although overall it's a sad story. Well worth reading for something different.

20. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading a time travel book called Time Storm Shockwave by Julienne Farnsworth. It's good, but halfway through I'm wondering when the time travel aspect is going to come up again. It had a great start so I'm hopeful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.