What SF book are you currently reading? (2015-16)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

Well, it was a thought that crossed my mind... :D

Boreas, TomTB and Diziet Sma like this.
  2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

The furry little blighters haven't shown their whiskery little faces as of yet ...

Royce Sears likes this.
  3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

-->Funny
    Why don't we have more emojis to better express ourselves when we are in a "can't be bothered" type of mood?

4. TomTB

Beats me ... maybe it's to knock the laziness out of us ;)

I've started the first Red Dwarf book. Enjoying it so far, but I figured I would; I loved the TV series when I was a kid.

5. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Regular Member

I just read and finished all 236 pages of Vorkosigan Saga 1: Shards Of Honour in 80 minutes. Huge new record for me, as I've never finished a book in less than 2 hours. Seriously, this is a milestone that I never thought I'd accomplish, so go me! :D

That said, so dropping the series. it's like 5.5/10 material, and no way in hell am I reading 16 books of that level of material!

Diziet Sma and Royce Sears like this.
  6. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Reading The Liberation, book three in Ian Tregillis' Alchemy Wars series.

Diziet Sma and Royce Sears like this.
  7. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

For me, Shards was weak and I didn't return to the series for ages. I was finally convinced to by readers of my Abendau books who advised me to go back, that I'd love Miles given what I write. It's now- firmly - my fav sf series with an acme around the five books around Memory.

But really, until you've met Miles you hsven't really experienced what Vorkosigan is really about :)

8. Lisa

Lisa New Member

I just finished Rosetta by Stephen Patterson (on Kindle) and really liked it! I hate having to wait for sequels!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. TomTB

Me too. Having the memory of a goldfish doesn't help matters ;) It's why I tend to only start series already finished.

10. Diziet Sma

Your opinion of this series in 3 words please (or as many as you feel like using ;))
    I looked it up and it has good reviews. Is it Fantasy or SF, both?

11. TomTB

The Red Dwarf audiobook is absolutely hilarious .. I'm regularly breaking out in fits of sporadic laughter much to the bemusement of my fellow commuters. Brilliantly narrated by Chris Barrie .. he gets the main characters voices (from the TV series) absolutely bob on.

12. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Regular Member

Glad that you're liking it. I need to watch more of the show. I've only seem like the first 6 seasons or so.

Anyways, sorry Elvira, but shortly after starting Kobon I realized that it wasn't for me. Again though, would love to get some more recommendations from you.

Anyways, I started reading Star Force 1: Swarm. It's Another really dark book where thee main character gets sucked into a UFO and starts doing these confusing tests, and it just gets darker and darker,and...
    he meets this Latin woman who fails a test and is killed off. He passes all the tests, and then the alien ship declares him the master. From there, he asks the ship to revive the Latin woman and his two kids that the alien ship killed. I'm kinda unclear on what happened with the kids, but the latin women is slowly brought back to life. He also finds out that there's a whole fleet of people with their own ufos, and that each of them does what they've done to him. They go through the tests, and whoever wins gets their own starship, the ships going around collecting other humans, and the process keeps repeating itself.

Anyways, I'm 25% through the book, aka about 66 pages into this very short 262 page book(again, not counting extras. I'm also 8 chapters in.

Edit 2: I'm up to chapter 11 now, and I need a bit over what just happened.

All this buildup to saving the main's kids, and then we find out because the ship wasn't able to repair the kids intestines that the aliens tore through, as opposed to the latin woman just being shot. What's more, they were shot into space, and their bodies likely burnt up upon reaching the earth's atmosphere. Fuck man!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  13. kenubrion

Elvira, I just did that in the It's December what are you reading thread in the fantasy side. It's fantastic, totally unique. It is an actual fantasy/sci-fi/horror hybrid that works. Tons of action but it's a thinking-person's story and you will sit back and consider what has happened and been said. Anyone who bought it on sale like I did will then pay full price for books 2 and 3 and then lament that it's over.

Oh, and I finished book 3 last night and am now reading book 1 of the author's Milkweed series called Bitter Seeds. This was his debut work back in 2010.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  14. Diziet Sma

Thank you Ken! I did like the look of it when you first mentioned it. I didn't buy it because Amazon.com offers don't apply here in Switzerland, but will get it in the new year.
    Please share your thoughts when you are done with the Milkweed Series. It has slightly less positive reviews. I'm curious...

15. Diziet Sma

Never watched The Red Dwarf TV show...

16. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

No reading time for me the last few weeks, but last night I finally read the prologue for Neal Asher's The Voyage of Sable Keech and it was so much fun. @Elvira, it starts right off with a great UFC style match-up between: the beast Molly Carp vs the newly adult Vrell.

Opposite for me. Of the three books I've read in the series - Shards of Honor / The Warrior's Apprentice / Ethan of Ethos - I thought SoH was her deftest with a wonderfully realised and full-bodied (personality-wise) heroine. I had actually started with TWA many years ago and couldn't get through it. Last year, I tried again in the order I've mentioned, and I was again stuck on TWA for over a month till I finally pushed myself through the choke point and finished it. It did get a little more enjoyable during the last 20%. EoA was...interesting. I didn't dislike it. Actually, I really liked quite a few moments in the novel, but like with TWA, I couldn't make up my mind on whether Bujold was writing homages to pulp space opera-cum-espionage thrillers or whether she was writing farce (especially with TWA). This was the main reason I took so long to finish the second two books and not because of bad writing.

Coincidentally, I'm giving my third go to the Vorkosigan series and, this time, I'm listening to the audiobooks as I commute. I decided to re-read/-listen to the same books again, and I've finished Shards of Honor. The narration by the very talented voice-actress has increased my admiration for the heroine Cordelia Vorkosigan (née Naismith). I've started the second audiobook (TWA) today and, unfortunately, the male narrator isn't nearly as spectacular as his female predecessor, who really made Cordelia come alive as a person with perfect inflections in tone, cadence of speech and laughter that denoted the character's wry, slightly self-deprecating humour, sense of irony, and her almost heroic sense of perspective when she's up against the worst situation imaginable. I love that she's a strong character, really strong, without needing to be "badass" (which even Vorkosigan alludes to early on). This current pop culture obsession for badassery has gotten old, and most of the "badass" women that I see written (esp. in movies) are often weak and insecure under the thin veneer of killing-skill. Cordelia, instead, has strength of character. She's awesome (narrator and character).

17. jo zebedee

To be honest, for me, it's at Brothers in Arms things came alive for me. I agree re Cordelia (although feel Barrayar showcases her better than Shards) - and Captain Jole and The Red Queen was a fantastic treat last year.

18. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'll push onwards with the series (reading instead of listening) after I finish the audiobooks for these three I've previously read. I hope Miles becomes a better character. In The Warrior's Apprentice, I found him too precocious and clever for his own good. I liked him best for that short scene at the end of the novel when he's back on Barrayar and dealing with high politics instead of his mercenary play-acting in space, which was just too...well, farcical...for my liking.

19. jo zebedee

He remains very hyper but does, I feel, become more rounded.

20. kenubrion

Hi Elvira. Alucard gave me two links to previous threads about The Mechanical including a book club thingy I guess. Her post is at the bottom of page 5 in the "It's December 2016..." thread. It was a seamless transition from this trilogy to Bitter Seeds/Milkweed. I'm very fortunate as he hits all the right notes for me with his writing style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.