What SF book are you currently reading? (2015-16)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Well, just trying to keep it spoiler free for @Elvira :) but ...

The suddenness of the Empress' return and subsequent invasion hit me for six .. not sure if that was your intention but it was BANG BANG BANG then all of a sudden the story had quickly completely turned on its head. I thought it was great!

Diziet Sma and jo zebedee like this.
  2. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Cool :) it was intentional - but I did worry if the start was pacy enough while I laid the crumbs. :)

3. TomTB

The crumbs did their job in this one Jo .. by the time i reached the end of the trail there was a big fat cake and it was awesome. :)

jo zebedee likes this.
  4. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Regular Member

Part of this Pick it for me challenge on a goodreads group where we pick 3 books for the other person.

The problem is that the person that I got hooked up with hates really dark stuff, and that's basically all that I read, so we had a hard time recommending things to each other.

The good news is that the person I'm with chose almost all promising titles, the bad news is that I wasn't sure what to pick. I was just gonna pick stuff that was on my list on goodreads.

Anyways, the first book she picked was Mageworlds 1: The Price of the Stars. And A+ for her on this one. It's under 500 pages, which means that the way I read it's gonna feel like like less than 100(in this case with the formatting, it's gonna only feel like 80!) and it's really fast paced. Bonus points for it being so fast paced without having any combat so far. It's also set in 4 parts, which I always like, makes me end up reading it one part at a time.

Anyways, read for 35 minutes. 28% through, or about 128 pages out of 448 pages. Really good shit!

Edit:

Went for 2 more sessions

First one: 40 min: 22% 99 pages 224/448 50%

Second one: 30 min: 22% 99 323/448 72%

Love it when I read the same amount of the book twice, save 1/3 of the math that I need to do.

So finishing this book before 6pm my time!

Edit 2:

Ok, good news first.

-I enjoyed finally reading again after...*checks* it's only been 5 days? Damn, feels like it's been like weeks?
    - Read pretty quickly. 448 pages in 2 hours, 15 minutes
    -I have a goal of reading 6000 pages by the 9th. I'm only 325 pages away now, which is pretty damn cool.

Bad news:
    -I wasn't immersed for a single second. This alone was a sign to stop after 100 pages or so.
    -I remember NOTHING outside of what was covered in the premise.
    -If you combine those 2 features, you got a good canditate for the worst experiences I've had reading an entire book to completion.

I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet. Why do I keep letting this happen to me?

And seriously, I was given 6 options for a reason.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. TomTB

This (Sunset over Abendau) has got a definite Star Wars vibe to it @jo zebedee ... have many others drawn the comparison? The Abendau setting is reminiscent of Tatooine, and The Force, well, is at least a bit similar to your magic system.

I'm not criticising, far from it, your books have many redeeming features that let the books shine in their own light, it's just an observation :)

6. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

I've gotten through about 3/4 of The Enemy of an Enemy, and the MC is decidedly a Mary Sue character. He's a low-ranked character in the Imperial Navy, given an impossible/suicide mission ordered by a nameless emperor character. He was nicknamed "one-shot" in the academy and is somehow a mixture of Chuck Norris and Harry Potter...(picks of an apparently magic wand of some sort after watching another character using it to attack him and his task force of lizard-like aliens and instantly knows how to use it) Needless to say, it's gone from interesting to "bleh..."

Diziet Sma and jo zebedee like this.
  7. jo zebedee

I have been known to market it as a grimdark Star Wars....

It has a lot of influences and nods to classic sf. Dune, Star Wars, the grey-areas of the characters Blake 7-ish, and a few others. I wanted it to feel classic in its world though (I didn't want the world building becoming more important than the characters) so it's cool that it does.

Royce Sears likes this.
  8. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

None whatsoever! This is why I love reading books and leave the writing to others...;)
    By the way, I finished it and really enjoyed myself. I can only begin to imagine what adventures the next book will bring!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    jo zebedee likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

I couldn't think of anyone else worse than myself to participate in this type of challenges. The concept is alluring but having to read somebody else's suggestion... Same with book clubs. They tend to follow me around and I tend to discreetly disappear.

10. TomTB

Finished Sunset over Abendau by our Jo. Really liked this one, definitely an improvement on the first book. The last half of the book flew by. I read a spoiler over on BFB Forum which spoilt the ending for me, and probably the final book in the trilogy too, but I'm looking forward to finding out the fates of all the main characters. 7.5/10

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Finished The Rising by Ian Tregillis and started his Bitter Seeds.

Boreas likes this.
  12. jo zebedee

Oh, heck, I hope it wasn't me... :( Glad you liked it, though, and I think even if you know one spoiler, the last book has about five different character arcs going all sorts of ways.

At the moment, I'm rereading the Miles Errant collection. :)

13. Diziet Sma

Just started The Forge of God by G Bear. So far, so good...

Boreas likes this.
  14. TomTB

It was I'm afraid :( over in the BFB writing resolution thread ... but worry not, I edited it so that anyone else 'sensitive' to spoilers aren't affected. :)

15. jo zebedee

Trust me! I shall have to learn to be more closed mouthed :( ty for the alert :)

@TomTB - I just looked at it. Spin off is probably closer to what I meant than sequel if that helps. I've always been clear these three books are the only ones I will write that tell Kare's story - for variant reasons.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  16. Diziet Sma

@TomTB, any ideas where our @Boreas might be? Too much Xmas Sherry perhaps?

17. TomTB

Haven't got a clue .. maybe he's taken a holiday, visiting relatives or similar, I'm sure he'll be back soon :)

I've started reading the 4th Space Captain Smith book, A Game of Battleships. 20% in and it is the same quality of previous instalments, and just as funny!

jo zebedee likes this.
  18. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

I just couldn't do it. I couldn't finish this book... The Enemy of an Enemy

It started out interesting enough, and the premise seemed strong at first. The dialogue was stiff and formal, the main character grew more annoying as I continued reading, and then a glaring plot hole just pushed me over the edge. The rest of my review of this book is here

19. Diziet Sma

Are you back then with the Lemming Men?

20. Diziet Sma

Well after checking out your review, I'm surprised you haven't thrown this book back to Mr Trigili's head...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.