What SF book are you currently reading? (2015-16)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

To add to what Jo said, yes, absolutely, I'm finding it just as well written and hilarious now as I did book 1. I'm finding myself bookmarking certain passages on my kindle, something I never normally do.

I'll let you know how I find it. Hopefully it's narrated well which can sometimes make a difference.

jo zebedee and Diziet Sma like this.
  2. TomTB

Only about a quarter into Barricade, but it really is very good so far. It's the type of post-apocalyptic SF that I like, dark and gritty with hard-ass characters. There's been one 'gratuitous' scene so far @jo zebedee, but it fit in well with the feeling of the book. The narrator is awesome too (Rupert Degas).

MorteTorment likes this.
  3. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

As I recall it, I was happy to go along with it at first, but it was the last third or so that went a little too far for me. As you know, I have no problems with darkness and dark themes (ha! understatement) but I do need to feel they're there to develop the story and not just for people to go Coooool to, or for the author to write a scene people will talk about. But see what you think at the end. I have an oversensitive antennae for it, perhaps.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I'm enjoying The Mark of Koban very much. It is full action, great battles descriptions and it has also diversified its plot. The story is really developing in different directions. I like that. I am also witnessing the beginnings of The Kobani, a new type of humans, genetically modified in order to survive the planet Koban and the Kralls.

kenubrion likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

What about Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star? Did you finish it? Would like to know what you thought. Also, if you really like Firefly, then Steven Brust wrote a fan novel which is available for free download on the internet.

6. TomTB

I just read a passage which reminded me of your question. Sorry, I'd forgotten to answer sooner! Anyhow, here it is ((a Yull is a Lemming man!)) ....

"She whipped around. In the doorway stood the first Yull she had seen close-up: slightly bigger than a man, wearing a breastplate and huge shoulder-plates, holding a two-handed axe. She had expected a monstrous rat, but it was no beast: the head was blunter than she had thought, the eyes big and round, the teeth more like incisors than yellow fangs, the whiskers starched into a moustache. It’s almost cute, she thought, and then the Yull buried its axe in the bouncer’s chest and screamed ‘Now you die, offworlders, nice and slow!’

‘Eat lead, squeaky!’"

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

This reminds me of Rafael, the Rat King, in Anita Blake, necromancer and vampire executioner. By the way, her first 3/4 books were great fun, then all went rapidly downhill when the story line focused purely on her sexual relations with any furry, un-furry, death or alive creature.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  8. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Regular Member

Post apoc? Ok, you just said the most magical word. Looked into the book, it sounds fascinating. Thanks!

There are three buzzwords you can use to get me uber curious.

1. Post-apocalypse (or post-nuclear. It's a section that is sadly lacking in my to read section right now.)

2. Cyberpunk(which I added quite a few of to my to-read list on goodreads last night.)

3. Grimdark

Royce Sears likes this.
  9. TomTB

I'm a sucker for a post apocalyptic book, it's probably my favourite SF sub genre. A few others to consider that I've read fairly recently and enjoyed:

Station Eleven
    The Road
    Wool Trilogy
    A Canticle for Liebowitz (sp?)

MorteTorment likes this.
  10. MorteTorment

Well done Tom, that's 4 books that are so up my alley it isn't even remotely funny! :D

11. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Ready Player One. Quit at 53% a couple weeks ago, giving it another chance.

12. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Found it boring the first time around?

@MorteTorment, you should think about giving Ready Player One a go. And this one is definitely more of what you'd call a 'young adult' novel, but it's to fun to read at least once. Very gimmicky, but in this case pretty well handled and with a good pace. It's Cline's next book which is an abject, gimmick-ridden failure.

13. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Two big fantasy books dropped, and it didn't grab me. I actually played the original text game Adventure starting around 1975. Got hooked. Then got hooked on Zork. So although I identified to some extent, I haven't allowed myself to play since being addicted to Zelda and Kings Quest in the 80's. I don't want to waste my time and I know I would get hopelessly hooked on the amazing games out now.

Anyway up to 75% in Ready and now I'm into it.

14. MorteTorment

Oh yeah, Ready Player One. What turned me off about it again?

*goes to goodreads*

"Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. "

That sounds really cheesy.

15. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

Yes, I finished Pandora's Star... my official review is posted on my Blog. Unofficially, Pandora's Star was a long hard slog that I managed to get through out of sheer stubbornness. I liked many of the technical details and ideas but the lack of characters that I could really love or hate made it hard to care. I don't know that I'm inclined to read the next one..

16. Royce Sears

The post-nuclear reads are fun. My first foray into that was at the age of about 11 or 12.. Daybreak 2250 by Andre Norton. I enjoy the post-nuclear option, but I wanted to go a different route with my Post-apocalypse novel. I used a viral agent of extraterrestrial origin, which carries ET DNA with it when it infects the host, that causes mutations in order to feed the viral infection. The alien DNA accelerates evolution as the body is trying to feed the viral infection which results in some interesting predator evolution.

TomTB likes this.
  17. Royce Sears

I've read good and bad things about Ready Player One. From what I understand, it's basically an 80's celebration.

18. TomTB

Hi Royce. What's this one called and is it available on Amazon UK for kindle? Sounds awesome and right up my alley!

19. Royce Sears

It's called "Prophecies of the New World" and is available on Amazon.uk here

Diziet Sma likes this.
  20. TomTB

Lovely, thank you, just bought it. I'll let you know when I read it :) I do tend to prioritise forum members books (here and over at BFB) when they're available in kindle format, so hopefully I'll get round to it soon.

Royce Sears likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.