What SF book are you currently reading? (2015-16)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

This one I haven't read. Bookmarked!

Royce Sears likes this.
  2. Diziet Sma

You read fast! ! I wouldn't be able to retain much reading at that speed.
    Enjoy The Skinner :)

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

The very last Crichton novel I read. It was great fun. Crichton writes good investigative stories and this was a great example.
    Hard to choose a favourite by Crichton, but the ones I always rated highly were: Sphere (underwater, mystery thriller), The Andromeda Strain (virus, medical mystery), Eaters of the Dead (Norse historical fiction/pseudo-fantasy), Disclosure (corporate, legal thriller), Rising Sun (crime & political fiction) and I also really liked The Great Train Robbery (Victorian period train heist). Never read State of Fear.
    See, for me, Peter F. Hamilton has some good story ideas, but I never like most (or any) of his characters and he's a slog to get through with his overly bloated exposition that is in no way exciting or humorous or edifying like say, the expository sections by Neal Stephenson. I think Hamilton's stories are better suited to be high-budget TV shows rather than novels. I had a 14 year break between my reading his Confederation books (a trilogy and a collection) and the Commonwealth duology. From the Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained duology, I only really liked Paula Myo and MLM. In fact I loved them, so I guess it was worth reading the 2000 pages just to get introduced to these characters. The best thing about this duology is that it contains possibly one of the scariest antagonists you'll ever come across. And of everything that I've now read by Hamilton, I think he was at his best in his short story collection, because he was forced to limit his word count, and it ends up having a better impact.
    Nice to see you over here @MorteTorment. Hope you like The Skinner. I just recently read it with @Elvira, too, and we were chatting about it in a thread (but it's full of spoilers). I need to read the sequel soon. It starts of a little slow, but it builds and picks up steadily all the way through. Not character focused, but plot-centric.

Royce Sears likes this.
  4. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

5. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Regular Member

Hehe, you didn't know that about me? I'm known on the fantasy novel section as the world's fastest reader. I usually set the clock for 45 minutes, and just completely absorb myself in the book. It's like a roller coaster for me, where I'm living in the moment, and loving it!

And I don't actually retain most of it, but I have the memory of a fucking gnat, so I wouldn't retain most of it anyway. It's the ultimate escape for me, as long as I can get immersed.

6. Diziet Sma

You really made me laugh! The upside is you could always go back to loop-reading your favourite books ;)

7. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Regular Member

Don't see how it's funny.

That said, what's loop-reading?

8. Diziet Sma

Oops! I thought it was a joke. No offence meant...:oops:

9. Royce Sears

I just finished reading Fringe Runner and posted a review on my Blog if anyone's interested in the book. Short and sweet of it: if you're a Firefly fan, you're either going to enjoy this one or hate it, because the author borrowed heavily from Firefly.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  10. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I started Wrath of the Lemming Men a couple days back. 25% in, and it's exactly what you'd expect from a book called Wrath of the Lemming Men. It's hilarious.

11. Diziet Sma

Great blog! I have added some books to my reading list. :rolleyes:
    I only recently watched Firefly (I know, this is a kind of sin for a SF fan) and maybe because of the high expectations I had, I enjoyed it but not really loved it.

Royce Sears likes this.
  12. Diziet Sma

I honestly don't know what to make of this tittle... Can't wait to hear more about it!

13. Royce Sears

Wrath of the Lemming Men? Interesting title! I am not normally one to judge based on a book's cover (or title as it may be in this case) but I would need to know more before spending time with a book like this Hahahaha!

14. Royce Sears

Thanks! I'm glad you like the Blog.
    Firefly is a guilty pleasure of mine. For me, it's not necessarily the scifi of the show that does it for me, but rather the way the actors brought the characters to life and the chemistry they brought to the small screen. I think much of it has to do with the way Joss Whedon builds and directs his cast in order to achieve a sort of gestalt. (I saw the same thing happen with The Avengers and other projects he has worked on) I classify Firefly into the kind of television entertainment scifi that has a solid foundation grounded on speculative fiction. The appeal of Firefly for me is in the details. If we did indeed terraform other worlds, their initial colonization might actually resemble a "cowboy/western" type environment as the world is brought up through the industrialization cycle of planethood. Would there be side-effects of the terraforming, like we saw in the "The Train Job" episode? Most likely. Would there be shady criminal organizations, like Nishka's? Most likely. Would there be innovative ship thieves like "Yo-Saff-Bridge?" You betcha! What they never explain in Firefly is just HOW they got to where they were going with enough people to attempt colonization and enough industrialization to begin terraforming on the massive scale we see in the show, but that's neither here nor there...I liked it for what it was and enjoy the fandom that sprang up around it :)

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. TomTB

It's the 3rd book in the Space Captain Smith series by Toby Frost. Really funny SF books, with a hilarious crew of characters, including a renegade sex-bot who can't help dropping sexual innuendos during the most serious of situations, an alien warrior who was disowned by his family because they wanted him to become a lawyer, and Captain Smith himself who is the most awkward and unassuming main character you could hope to come across. It's very 'British' SF comedy, and I absolutely adore it. :)

16. TomTB

I'm about to start the audiobook of Barricade by Jon Wallace. I don't know too much about it, but the blurb is good, and I picked it up cheap, so fingers crossed it's a good'un!

17. Diziet Sma

I couldn’t connect with it and appreciate these aspects you are mentioning. I wanted to, as I have heard so many good reviews about this series. It just it didn't grab me.
    However, I did enjoy its mix-cultural feel, for example how they switch from english to mandarin. This East/West background connects very cleverly with its past back in Earth and its main powers. I also liked the fact it was character driven. It was witty and it was fun.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Royce Sears likes this.
  18. Diziet Sma

Does Frost manage to maintain the fun and quality through the 3 books? I do enjoy British humour, well I guess most people do... Can they be read in any order?
    By the way, what does a Lemming Man look like? I'm really curious!:)

19. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

He does keep it up through the series. Some of the humour is a bit blokey - Toby describes it as Biggles in Space. :)

Diziet Sma likes this.
  20. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I really looked forward to this having read a blinding short by Wallace a few years ago. I liked the setting and premise but it steered too close to gratuitous for me and I'' not seeking out the sequel. Still an author I'll watch for in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.