What SF book are you currently reading? (2015-16)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I’m enjoying myself. It is a very comfortable and exciting read.
    Classical in the way the world building is taking shape as well as in Herbet’s narrative style.
    I find it very engaging the combination of religion, ecology, economy with eugenics thrown into the mix.
    As I have a thing for foreign languages, it is keeping me well excited all these first and family names, as well as locations in a very clear allusion to the whole messianic reference and the Middle East.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

You do realise there is also a glossary at the back of the book? One person I gave the book to never realised it was there until I pointed it out because she said it was hard to keep track of all the terms.

Frank Herbert's world-building is pretty ground-breaking, almost more so than even Tolkien's in Lord of the Rings. You see Herbert's style of world-building in most of the modern and contemporary genre authors, both in science fiction and fantasy.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  3. Diziet Sma

Ooops! Thanks for the tip. I had noticed the Appendix and map but not the glossary. Well, it will clarify a few things although I was really enjoying myself deciphering all the terminology…
    Right now, I’m in great reading place!:)

4. Diziet Sma

I have just finished Dune and it has being an amazing read. I honestly thought I was going to find it a bit dated but I was so wrong. Even the topics Dune deals with as a social reaction of its time: ecology, drug usage in particular, I find them current.
    As for Herberts characterisation, I can simply comment on his tremendous ability. He took me to Arrakis and made me sweat, taste and smell the arid dessert life. I’ve got to see and know the characters. I connected with them in all levels. The world building is extremely imaginative, complex and thought provoking. Herbet's style makes it all look so simply uncomplicated: so much talent!
    My only regret is not having read Dune in my teens as Paul Atreides is the type of lost soul hero I would have loved to fall for…

I, Robot is next.:)

Boreas likes this.
  5. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Started Red Mars this morning. I'm 1/24th into it so a little early to make any sort of judgment.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Boreas

Hehe, and for boys who read it in their teens, we all wanted to be Paul Atreides. But my favourite character in all of the Dune books actually ended up being Duncan Idaho. I know, I know...you're going to be like "say what?" after knowing what happens in Dune, but trust me, the novels get weirder, more complex (some say too complex by God Emperor of Dune) and more epic. Herbert had a seriously epic vision with what he was doing in these novels, both from individual perspectives and from a species-wide angle, but alas, he died before finishing it. He was planning one last novel that now only exists in some alternate reality.

Also, now you'll get around 50% of the references in any hardcore science fiction group.
    Interesting choice! I didn't think you'd go for a slow moving, dense, hard sf novel on terraforming and structuring new societies. It's also on my list, but I'm more interested in reading KSR's newer novels first. I'll be really interested in how you find this one!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. TomTB

@Boreas I was attracted to it exactly because of that. I wanted something I could be drawn into and become immersed in. And with Red Mars and the sequels hopefully that is something I'll get in abundance. I was after something more akin to medieval style epic fantasy (political maneuvers, character focused etc) in a SF setting, and so far, I think I've chosen well.

8. Diziet Sma

I’m not surprised at all by it! Duncan Idaho stands tall with his loyalty, valour, wit, charm and musical talent. By my standard, he ticks all the right boxes for a solid, unrequested hero…

9. TomTB

It's difficult to tell without using a calculator, but I recon I'm about 150 pages into the audiobook of Red Mars, and I'm really enjoying it. It's like The Martian without the slapstick. It's the establishment of a human colony, a utopian society, on Mars, and the trials and tribulations that go hand in hand with it. It's the politics and attempted anti-politics of those colonists. It's just really interesting. You can tell from reading this that the author researched the various scientific disciplines inevitably involved with setting up a Martian colony really well.

Boreas likes this.
  10. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Voice of the Whirlwind, By Walter Jon Williams, sequel to the great Hardwired.

Boreas likes this.
  11. Diziet Sma

I looked up Red Mars a while ago but I kind of dismissed it because some of the comments regarding its content in geology, biology and astrophysics. I’m curious about these subjects and keen to learn about them but my worry was that it was going to be aimed at knowledgeable science readers and therefore, it would go well over my head. Is this the case?

Finished I, Robot. Just started Forging Zero by Sara King

12. TomTB

The scientific elements of the book are not over bearing in the slightest. They're there, without a doubt, but rather than being confusing they're interesting. So I'd say no, not the case at all. I'm about halfway through now and it's been a slow and steady build up concerning the colonisation of Mars. I'm looking forward to the culmination of this one and starting the sequels.

13. kenubrion

Finished Walter Jon Williams' Voice of the Whirlwind and started his Knight Moves.

14. Diziet Sma

Thanks @TomTB I have bookmarked it!:)

15. Boreas

I've started Chris Bunch's The Wind After Time, which I hope is going to be a light adventure novel.

16. kenubrion

Oh man, thank you for that Boreas. I thought I had read or sampled all of Chris Bunch but not that and I'm really liking it.

17. Diziet Sma

How many books do you manage to read at the same time? :confused:

18. kenubrion

I was still logged in and saw this. Kindle has me reading a sci-fi and a fantasy at the same time, and I try and then drop books at the first sign of trouble. I'll probably read The Wind After Time all by itself because Chris Bunch.

19. Diziet Sma

I see. I struggle to read more than one book at the time, as I eventually concentrate on the one which is catching my attention better. I also have a thing about not finishing a book I have already started. I don't know why, but I very rarely give it up as painful as it might be. In those cases, I must admit I tend to do a bit of "diagonal reading"...

20. Boreas

It was recommended by my brother. He says it's Chris Bunch's best work and how he hooked me was by saying the protagonist is similar to Jon Shannow.

I'm like you @Elvira, I prefer to read a max of two books at a time, but I inevitably find that one of them takes more of my attention, esp. if both are fiction, so I often end up finishing that one first. Sometimes I do manage to read two books fairly evenly. Even managed it with three books on occasion. And I generally don't like unfinished books, too, so I do have the tendency to torture myself through them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.