What next?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Jack Brewhouse, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

Well, I'm on summer-school. I've got two week left out of 6. I've written the first drafts of two novels and will use the next two weeks to get the fictional one hammered ready for a final edit. The travel book is no problem, that can be edited in evenings, non-fiction is easy. So in a few weeks, my decks are clear and I can work on a new book. I've got four lined up to choose from.
    1) I wrote 20 years ago and it's ready for getting up to date. It's an epic sci-fi opera about politics, androids, immortals and a man who might be the living incarnation of satan.
    2) A modern sci-fi using weird science as a way to tell a convoluted murder mystery. I can't really say more without ruining it. This one is complex and will take a long time to draft out. I explained it to a friend and he asked me to stop talking as it was giving him a headache.
    3) Do you remember 'Streethawk'? I loved it as a kid. It was like Knight Rider but with a bike. I'd like to write a tongue in cheek drama/mystery/comedy that more or less re-invents this idea of a man being given a super-bike that solves crimes. It's just such a brilliantly stupid idea. I have a new plot, new characters and new style in mind and won't use the name, obviously.
    4) I'm two thirds the way into a spy story told in the 1st person perspective. It's fun but I stopped writing it once and probably should go back and finish. It has no sci-fi elements though, which sort of put me off.
    So what sounds more fun?

2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Errr .. number three, obvs! That sounds awesome, although that may be my 80s inner child drowning out all my other semi-rational thoughts ..

Throw in the living incarnation of Satan to this one and it's a no brainer ;)

3. Jack Brewhouse

I like you, Tom! Streethawk was just great. It knew it was bad and just went with it.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I love puzzling crime novels, those which keep me busy guessing about the “who did it” and tempt me to “overtake” the writer in his plot planning ?So, for me is number 2.
    I’m not familiar with Streethawk but if he/she/it? is a relative of Knight Rider, then it is not for me. There are only so many tricks you can play riding a bike and for me, it can get tiresome and predictable. On the other hand, if Lucifer were to ride the bike, then I guess there is no limit to the tricks he can pull off. Or is there? I find it frustrating when convenient magic just happens. Even for Lucifer. Surely he would have to compromise when he comes down to this plane...:)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. Jack Brewhouse

I reckon the mystery book is pretty unsolvable. I think (would like to think) that I've come up with a format that hasn't been done yet.
    Streethawk was a young boy's show, and unashamedly so. The story I have in mind is way more complex but at its heart it would be based on the silliness of solving crimes with a very fast bike, as if that would be of any use in the real world.

6. Diziet Sma

By "overtaking the writer’s plot" I didn’t mean that I could actually guess it right. In fact, I pretty rubbish at it, which is utterly unfair considering how many crime/noir novels I have read. So, I don’t stand a chance in your case but I will definitely enjoy having a go at it.:)

7. Jack Brewhouse

I know it's a general rule of fiction that if a story relies on a twist then it's probably not a story worth telling but I feel different. I like my endings to make you sit back and feel that the book delivered something and that it was worth getting to the end. It's like a last little payoff.
    I went back to a lot of other classic storytelling mediums and tried to find something that had never been done. I mean, I know everything has, in one way or another but I'm always looking for something at least a little different. I think I've found a way of telling this story that's so odd that the reader won't see it coming but should (should!!!) still tell a story which was worth the read.
    So, Elvira, are you volunteering to beta test my books?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  8. Diziet Sma

Sure! I have never done it before but I’m happy to taste your book.

9. Diziet Sma

Taste? Duh! Test...

10. Jack Brewhouse

Well, I pulled the trigger and went with the 'Streethawk' story. It's a completely different story to the original with different characters. Hopefully anyone reading it will be able to spot the areas where it's the same and different and it should bring a smile to their face. I'm going with a 80s tongue in cheek style, it doesn't take itself seriously at all but doesn't quite become a full-on comedy either.
    It's set just around the present but has futuristic technology as well as harking very much back to the 80s action show that inspired it. My partner in crime and long-time collaborator says it's going well so far. I'm about a quarter way in and each chapter has a little reveal, it's like peeling back an onion to reveal the truth, each layer just making it more open and more confusing at the same time.
    The main characters have started writing themselves so far which is a good sign.
    It's a fun project.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. TomTB

That sounds awesome! I'll definitely read it given the chance. I love 80s reminiscence. I still have a fluorescent ski jacket and a Head bag in the attic. I was the epitome of cool in my single digit years!

Jack Brewhouse likes this.
  12. Jack Brewhouse

I hope it's going to turn out ok. It uses the same themes but the plot is very different, and so is the narrative style. A few chapters back they discover a black car with bulletproof bodywork, based on an old Nissan 240. That was originally the car that was going to be used for Knight Rider. I've got to figure out how to shout out to Airwolf, Blue Thunder, Viper and the A-team too.
    It will take a while to get up but it will have a free download weekend. I'll post details when they're up.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  13. Diziet Sma

Well, if Streethawk comes with shoulder pads, I’m in! I adored the A-Team..

Jack Brewhouse likes this.
  14. Jack Brewhouse

The A team was great, viewing it as an adult, it was far cleverer and funnier than I realised as a kid. Streethawk wasn't actually all the good, it had some good ideas but never had time to find its feet. Still, it had a fast motorcycle and that was cool. Fast motorcycles are cool.

PS, I'll be sure to add shoulder-pads at some point.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. Jack Brewhouse

It's hit the 60k word mark and has grown a title, Hawk-Eye. It's a total 80s shambles. It has a crime-fighting trio, the smart, no nonsense leader, the cool guy and the strong one who's good at fighting. It has a sideways mention to just about every super-vehicle show ever. At the moment the main character (kinda) is riding an over-powered motorcycle around causing chaos. He's got a form of technologically induced brain cancer but is convinced it's super-powers, although the only things he's used it for so far is catching rubber balls and collapsing unconscious.
    It's had some dark moments, really quiet dark and lots of silly ones too. Should be done, on schedule by the weekend. (Betas beware.)

Diziet Sma, Boreas and TomTB like this.
  16. Jack Brewhouse

Finished. It ran to 72700 in the first draft, 12700 of those I wrote today. It was so much fun to write, I really hope it is equally fun to read. I need beta testers now, armies of them!

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  17. TomTB

Well .. I'm not the best critic (I'll tell you if I like it, or not) but I'd love to read it!

Boreas and Jack Brewhouse like this.
  18. Jack Brewhouse

Tom, you have mail! I'm now officially suffering post-creative depression. Sitting in a coffee shop with literally nothing to do. I'm actually stuck in the real world and I don't like it. I need to create something so badly that I'm folding napkins into very unrealistic swans.

19. Diziet Sma

I hear macramé is very soothing…
    Seriously, congratulations!
    Like Tom, I’m happy to read your book. However, I’m very sluggish at the moment, not for lack of enthusiasm but it is just plain crazy at work at the moment...

20. Jack Brewhouse

As a fellow teacher, I utterly sympathise. I got some really solid feedback from the first beta-review of the 'Human Race'. Good fun read and very strong characters. The sex scene had just the right sense of desperate horror to it and I included a character with a mental health problem and the reader actually got the correct diagnosis and commented how sensitively and maturely he was handled. He was autistic and I have some personal experience dealing with it so that was quite gratifying.
    I can't get the new one out of my head. I've utterly fallen helplessly in love with the motorcycle and have become obsessed with building a replica of it out here in the world I share with everyone else.

Elvira, let me know if you have time. I'm editing the work into the final form over the next week or two. I'm aiming to have this one all done and dusted by Christmas so there's no rush!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016