What comics are you reading?

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Some of my favourite sequences are of Murdoch grappling with near insanity on the streets, moving from spot to spot like a stinking, bleeding wino, plus his imagination running wild with thoughts of beating Wilson Fisk to death, the crazy phone calls, etc. Also loved Ben Urich's perspective, the fear instilled in him as he tries to not even think of Murdoch's name. I thought that sequence of panels contrasting a busy newsroom with a stunned Urich quietly listening to someone being killed on the other end of the phone were damn good. And that explosive, almost shockingly brutal scene in the prison cell while Gloria continues clicking pictures for those few seconds on automatic. But I think one of my absolute favourite scenes of all is that full page illustration when Sister Maggie finally finds a stabbed, almost dead Murdoch. And something I more clearly noticed with my recent read-through of the comic: that scene with Maggie praying beside Murdoch has him outlined like a crucifixion. Born again indeed.

For a superhero title, this story really has none of the typical superhero elements what-so-ever.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Precisely! This has been a very enjoyable although surprising element.

I’m very novice in this type of comics but I have really enjoyed the subtle details in the artwork. The withdrawal symptoms portrayed on Karen’s face. Also, as you already mentioned, when Murdoch is on the streets broken, all unshaven and dirty.
    There is also this moment when Karen is lying on the bed and what it originally seems as she were wearing suspenders, on a closer look, it is the shadow of some pipe work above her. That was really clever.
    I’m sure there are many more details I could only pick up on a second read. Mind you, I might just skip the read and let the pages run through and enjoy the artwork on its own.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  3. Boreas

It's a good story to re-read and, as you say, especially for a second look at the art which really is skilfully done. It's the very opposite of the cleaner, crisper lines that are usual fare in superhero comics. David Mazzucchelli and Frank Miller have also collaborated on updating Batman's origin in the 1980's in a four-issue arc titled Year One. And again, there are no superhero elements in this story, either. It's just about street crime and corruption.

Another feature to the story I liked - this time in the writing - becomes very conspicious during Nuke's machine gun fusillade across the streets of Hell's Kitchen, and as Murdoch rushes to the scene: you realise just how much of an antiseptic story this isn't. I mean, you realise it before, but it really hits home with with the action's consequences on the most innocent, i.e. when he 'hears' a mother listening to her baby gurgle as it dies from a stray bullet. Another such striking moment was that final panels in the prison scene. Every character blood soaked, including the nurse with a head shot, and the look of shock and horror on both Gloria's and Urich's faces. And yet another such scene...when Karen's 'semi-pimp' is dying and she's just about to be killed herself...she still reaches for a last fix.

You know, I never really liked Gloria all that much. I mean, sure, she's human with her own problems and isn't a bad person by any means, but I always thought that the growing relationship between her and Foggy seemed...maybe just a little 'tactical' from her side?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Bought Vol. 1 and 2 for my 14 year-old daughter at the bookstore last night. Brutally beautiful, yes, Diziet, but also wonderfully detailed in how the small gestures we make toward each other are truly meaningful.

Boreas and Diziet Sma like this.
  5. Diziet Sma

Yes! I hope she enjoys it. Maus lends itself to future re-reads to uncover little jewels easily missed first time round...

6. Boreas

I think I'm finally going to start reading Nihei Tsutomu's space opera Knights of Sidonia today. Have been itching to get to this for a long while!

7. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

And here's me thinking it was only a song ...

8. Boreas

?

9. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Well, almost spelt the same!

10. Boreas

Was never into Muse, but I did like the playful homage to Lt. Wilma Deering from Buck Rogers towards the end of the video.

11. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Read the first 5 volumes of Cerebus before Dave Sim started losing what few marbles he had. Someone gifted me the 1st complete volume of Valerian in advance of the Luc Besson film. Pretty dated in the Heinlein wish-fulfillment way, but cute here and there.

12. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Over the weekend, I pulled out the old copies of ROM. I have the whole run. I may be a nerd. Just sayin'.
    [​IMG]

Diziet Sma likes this.
  13. Boreas

Just finished reading an action-adventure manga about lethal games on a deserted island up to it's last scanlated chapter. Not the best, but fun. It's called Btoom! People kill each other with different types of bombs. Has a lot of qualities that I expect from such manga: the violence and killing that is enjoyable within its context; and the 'fan service' which I've always found annoyingly childish.

Also read a sports manga called Regatta, obviously about competitive rowing. This is an old 80's manga and deals with the physical/psychological effort and relationship drama involved around the sport. Relatively short. Enjoyed it. Love good sports manga. Again, not the best, but still very good.

And then a manga about competitive ballroom dancing which is actually very good! Ballroom e Youkoso. Typical plot - a purposeless, bullied 15 year-old finds himself in a ballroom dancing centre, doesn't want to do it, sees a girl he likes and thinks it might not be so bad but is rebuffed, begins to realise the difficulty and effort required for this sport, and slowly becomes obsessed about it. What I like about these types of manga is that while there are some indications of 'romance' between two characters, it is never the focus and, in fact, often the story moves beyond the confines of a romance into true life-drama and the effort expended for the fulfillment of the ultimate goal. The obstacles are often psychological and the stories deal with these struggles. These types of stories are very involving. This one could be classed under sports, but I think of it as contemporary drama. I have no clue about ballroom dancing, and with manga which are centered on activities, the technical detail they get into regarding whatever they deal with can be extreme - they do this for all types of manga, be they medical (human treatment or veterinary), food & wines, music, various sports & games, or whatever. One of my favourite such manga (amongst many), is a contemporary drama revolving around classical music, and the piano in particular.

Read some other stuff, too, a lot of new manga that I tried for a few volumes before giving up, so not worth mentioning/remembering. The only problem is that with these types, I tend to forget the title, so I end up trying them again at some future point by mistake thinking they're new.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  14. Diziet Sma

It's never too late...:p

15. Boreas

My parents enrolled me for ballroom dancing lessons when I was 12, just going on 13 when I was in Reykjavik. I hated it. Even got a pretty partner which did make me look forward to it more (although I would never have admitted it at the time), but still hated it. At least I can do the Waltz, barely. Reading the manga made me realise how bloody difficult even the basics of the Waltz are to perfect.

16. Diziet Sma

Ha! Well, you already know a lot more about it than me. I can only dance Margaritas and that’s about it.
    Reykjavik?? Did you live there? What was it like? Did you learn Icelandic?

17. Boreas

Just for about a year. And nope, didn't learn Icelandic: 1. everyone spoke decent to fluent English, and 2. I went to the American base school in Keflavik. I arrived in summer, and with the onset of winter, I was depressed for a while on account of seeing almost no light, but I did get used to it. My first sighting of the Aurora Borealis, which I saw many times in different colours (green most often) and is partly responsible for my having used Boreas as a username. Went often to the Blue Lagoon to swim, skiied on their smallish Blue Mountains, could just make out the volcanic activity of the mid-Atlantic Ridge from land, stuff like that. Oh, the sulphur smell every time you turned on the hot water! Very disturbing at first, but then strangely comforting as you got used to it. Used to love swimming there. It's -10 and you're in heated pools outdoors.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  18. Diziet Sma

I have never been to Iceland and I have been willing to visit it for a while now, but somehow I've never got round to it.
    I’m sure it must have been a great experience and I guess a year would be about the right length of time before you would start craving a less peaceful lifestyle.

19. Boreas

I'm continuing my manga binge, and this time I've gone back to re-reading the various works Adachi Mitsuru, who used to be and still is a favourite mangaka of mine. Have just gone through the swimming drama Rough, and am now reading one of his many baseball-related titles. I actually gained an appreciation and respect for baseball during my twenties purely because I used to read the sports-focused manga of Adachi-sensei.

20. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Two I've enjoyed or re-enjoyed lately were WildC.A.T.S. and Vagabond. While a little fluffy, Wildcats has some exquisite art and lighthearted writing by Allan Moore. Vagabond is the story of Miyamoto Musashi, master swordsman.

Boreas likes this.