What comics are you reading?

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I've been thinking of picking up some comics again for the last little while and I finally did. I got myself the first volume of Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples.

I've always enjoyed Vaughn's science fiction writing with Ex Machina (very clever and subversive, though his political leanings are rather obvious) and Y: The Last Man (post-apocalyptic, dystopian science fiction). Although, I stopped buying the Y issues around #30 - need to catch up on the story by getting the trades. I even liked his writing on Swamp Thing. As for Fiona Staples, her art is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to reading this space opera like story. Been hearing rave reviews on it for a some years now.

What comics are you all reading?

Bierschneeman likes this.
  2. Dom Brown

Dom Brown New Member

IF you are an Adult, then go n read CROSSED, or The Walking Dead. Not for the feint of hearrted or people looking for fluffy happy endings with a good guy who saves the girl etc etc.

Great entertaining post-apocalypse stuff.

Meanwhile, out of the best of the best I always recommend SANDMAN, its as near to shakespeare as you are going to get in the comic book world, hell, they mention Shakespeare quite a bit since he was a fan of the Dream World according to 2 of his plays.

I started reading THE FAMILY, and need to finish it.. what will happen to America when the 1% can live forever and no one else can and everyone is a servant or slave to the 1%?

Ive always loved all the DREDD Stories, since they are all exaggerations of what is happenign to American culture and society as they degenerate because of the 1% influence and the POlice are forced to become harder and tougher to combat whats happened to society (which is intentional because the 1% get substantially richer the mroe poverty there is in the world).

And if anyone is a fan of The Matrix, then you should check out The Invisibles, its defnitley the main inspiration for The Matrix, even more so than Dark City.

3. Boreas

I've read the first Crossed trade by Garth Ennis. Brutal.
    One of my all time favourites. It's hard for a series to get better than this. Nothing I've read from Gaiman has ever topped the epicness that is Sandman.

Never heard of The Family. Will check it out.

4. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

I read 'American Gods' and I really enjoyed it. Sadly it re-hashed a lot of the old ideas he'd established in Sandman and also had a weak ending, another thing Neil Gaiman just isn't good at. He's great at building tension and really knows how to make his characters appeal emotionally but endings, not so good.
    My favourite comic writer is Alan Moore. I love everything he's done. Watchmen was ground-breaking but everything he did was good.
    I used to read a lot of comics, more a DC fan than Marvel though. The last mainstream stuff I followed was the Batman 'Nightfall' story arc, Preacher and Hellblazer. Both the latter adaptations were pretty decent, the TV version of Preacher is better than the comic.

5. Boreas

Exactly! And not nearly as well as in The Sandman! I opined this at the BFB forum some years back when discussing it with one of the users there and she kept disagreeing. I was baffled at how something so blindingly obvious could be nay-sayed. I read the original printing of American Gods before the expanded edition came out and was frankly very disappointed, esp. given my near fanaticism with everything Gaiman at that point. I've also said before that I feel the Hugo win for Gaiman's novel was politically motivated in a post-9/11 climate when a suffering nation needed to latch onto some sort of a reprieve, which AG offered in its exultation of America's immigrant cultures.
    I was also more of a DC fan, but it's ultimately the good writers you end up following. "Knightfall" was a pretty epic story arc for a mainstream Batman story. They did a great job of breaking him down, from his psychological recuperation after a severe drug addiction, total physical and mental exhaustion, and finally a complete bodily breakdown via Bane. It was a lot better than the "Death of Superman" story arc. Ah the 90's, the decade for gimmicks, badass heroines, and an alternate cover craze. Essentially, it was a form of the 2008 financial collapse for the comics industry by around 1997-1998. Over speculation on the part of those crazy comic collectors and hoarders.
    Sorry man, I absolutely hated the Hellblazer TV adaptation (watched 3 episodes before I quit - though I have to admit the trailer reeled me in and I had high hopes), and I absolutely can't believe that the Preacher adaptation is better than the comic. One person I know said that the only thing they've done well is the character of Cassidy. I am curious, though, so I'll try watching it at some point when the mood strikes.
    Definitely one of my favourites. And definitely the most significant writer/creator since the 80's. I've not been into comics for a long time now, but I doubt there has been anyone as significant in the western comics field since Alan Moore. I really need to get a move on and read his novel Voice of the Fire.

6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Reading The Complete Maus 1#2 by A Spiegelman. Brutally beautiful.

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

I can still remember the first time I finished part 1 of Maus and both my arms had goosebumps! Maus fully deserves its Pulitzer prize win!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  8. Boreas

Okay, so I finally started reading the first collected volume of Saga and I'm completely sold. Vaughn has done it again! Every science fiction story he's tackled has been great, from his post-apocalyptic Y: The Last Man to his near future political thriller Ex Machina and now his space opera Saga! And Fiona Staples' art complements the story perfectly!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Just started Bone by J Smith. Fantastic so far!

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

Those stupid, stupid rat creatures!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

I recently finished Fade Out. I follow the author to every series.

I like Sabrina new series and wytches but they are both over, or paused.

I am a huge swamp thing fan and will read any of that.

I have the new daredevil on my queue because I like what the author was doing before he left DC . And Gotham Academy I think is quite cheerfully horror.

Beyond that. With Marvel I find it impossible to read a series all the way through, they rework restart or just plain destroy everything that's interesting. Invading good stand alone stories with whatever all to frequent world event is happening that month.

And since they ended new 52, DC hasn't been on my radar...It was nice having a superman that acted like superman again. But now he's gone, and they're back to fake superman that's been around only. From 1993 to 2011.

12. Boreas

Big time fan of Swamp Thing because of Alan Moore. I read the title only sporadically after the Moore run.
    Are you talking about Mark Waid? I head he was writing Daredevil some four or five years ago. If it is, I didn't realise he's still on it now. That's a very long run.
    Besides going off comics naturally as I got older (though I still love the medium as much as I ever did), one of the main reasons I couldn't stand both Marvel and DC were their regular revamps and reboots every decade when they'd just fuck up the continuity and make things more confusing. I have no idea what's going on with the main titles from these two universes any more.

13. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

I only got into comics recently, so it was Scott snyder swamp thing that opened my eyes. I have gone through the bulk of the past issues, and like Alan moore, but snyder completely changed how it is written.

No not mark waid, I hate his daredevil(it was very childish, like Saturday morning cartoon written for an even younger crowd than that, and severely edited by over eager mom's)

Charles Soule is now writing it. It is more familiar to the Brubaker (best there ever has been) run.

Boreas likes this.
  14. Boreas

I put my very entertaining science fiction novel on hold over the last few days because I've been sucked into comics. I picked up a manga called Yotsuba&! by Azuma Kiyohiko and got so unexpectedly into it that I've been binge reading it. I have finished twelve of the scanlated volumes and will read the thirteenth one today. It's a completely family friendly manga about a father and his weird, perpetually happy five-year old adopted daughter who move into a new house in the city from the countryside. And the antics revolve around everyday, small occurrences from deciding what to eat for lunch or dinner, riding bicycles, playing with the neighbours, going to the beach, etc. That's it. At first, I thought the five-year old kid was a little too happy all the time and I was almost on the verge of finding her annoying. But now I love this manga. It's just filled with so much joy, and with a cast of characters who are all a little eccentric in some ways, but so caring for the little girl. Every thing is an adventure and I found myself giggling over so many stupid escapades, expressions, poses, reactions, etc. No great drama, no romance, nothing serious. But a visit to the shop, or baking a cake...they all become a mix of comedy and adventure and drama albeit in a light-hearted manner.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. irrlicht

irrlicht Full Member

I grew up reading French and Belguan comics. Valerian et Laureline in particular was a big reason I developed a fascination with SF. I got them from the library back then and collect them now. Unfortunately they just canceled their traditional edition here in favour of bigger compilation issues. That just won't do for my shelf.

I mainly get into comics for the art and the one artist I just cannot recommend enough is Tsutomu Nihei. His work on Blame! is nothing short of spectacular (also horribly bleak). Few people can create such a monumental sense of scale and loneliness.

Boreas likes this.
  16. Boreas

I've been reading more comics over the last few days, or I should say I've been re-reading some comics. Yotsuba&! was something new for me, and I absolutely loved it. Besides the narrative's absolutely heart-warming qualities, I thought Azuma's artistic contrast between the scenic realism of Japan's urban areas and cartoonish renditions of the actual characters were very well done.

I also fished out my beat-up collected trade paperback of Frank Miller's Daredevil: Born Again, possibly the best Daredevil story arc ever written. I think Brian Michael Bendis gave Miller a run for his money with his own substantial run on the character in the early-to-mid 2000's, and there's no doubting Bendis' superior skill with dialogue, but there's a certain stark and succinct intensity about Born Again, almost verging on noir, that still ranks it as the number #1 Daredevil/Matt Murdoch story ever in my eyes. And besides, you could see Miller's huge influence in how Bendis himself handled the character. Frank Miller really brought the character from C-list obscurity to A-list superstardom starting from the end of the 1970's purely as an artist, and then taking over writing duties as well, and is responsible for nearly the entire, important Daredevil mythos we all know and love today. After his long stint on Daredevil, he came back once or twice to pen another story or two, and Born Again was his final hardboiled story for the character, and by far the best. He breaks down Matt Murdoch psychologically to an absolute nadir, and then pulls him back up again. Bendis did something similar, but not the same, during his later stint on the character.

I also started re-reading another manga, and this time as far in tone from Yotsuba&! as you could possibly get. Holyland by Mori Kouji is the tale of a bullied, psychologically stunted and scarred teenager on the verge of suicide who finds release in the hyperviolent world of gangs and streetfighting. Full of detailed, technical explanations on fighting techniques, it showcases how various combat disciplines from boxing, judo, karate, etc., are used in no holds barred combat outside of the sports world. I really like martial arts stories, and I've read much better ones than Holyland, both in terms of story and art, but this one is still great fun to read.

17. Boreas

Love Blame!. There's also a tangentially related sequel that Nihei Tsutomu did called Biomega. Did you read that? I've also got his Knights of Sidonia on my list to read soon. And some 10 or 12 years ago, I read a Wolverine story he did that I thought was great! Loved his manga rendition of the Marvel character.

18. irrlicht

irrlicht Full Member

Oh yes, I actually own all of Biomega. Love it as well! It's another example of his art just being fantastic and disturbing. Knights of Sidonia is really great, too, but in a different way. He's trying to do more story now and it's crushingly depressing at times. But quite worth it and with more lighthearted moments inbetween. Storywise it's more like Biomega than Blame!
    As far as I can tell, it also doesn't just weirdly compress the story like he ran out of patience in the last bit, like it was in Blame! and Biomega.
    I haven't read his take on Wolverine yet, but I am really curious about that, too.