What are you enjoying on TV right now?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Blake Mason, Aug 11, 2015.

?

Addicted to TV?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Paritially

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not addicted, just an enthusiast

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. I WATCH TV - that is all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can take TV or leave it

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  6. I don't watch anything on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have cut myself off from society and only saw this survey as it was brought to me by snails

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

Just watched the Netflix 'Punisher' series. It was disappointing at best. Pretty good performances from the cast but it was like every other Marvel series, mostly padding. Oddly, and without giving away any spoilers, it tried to reboot the origin story it had already established for the main character which had been set up nicely in the previous Daredevil series. It was like they tried to give him a new origin but the same one all at the same time. The character was meant to be a brutal, well, there's not really any other word for it, he's meant to be a 'punisher' but instead we got a whole season of angst, side-plots and people getting hurt by people half their size in one scene and then taking on a dozen armed men in the next, depending on what the script required. A bit of a jumbled mess with an ending that just left me wondering why I bothered.
    Luckily I watch this kind of stuff as I work on other things so it's little more than a distraction.
    I've rather more got into old 1970s low-budget horror lately. I got the Hammer Horror anthology series and went through that. It's odd little 1 hour episodes with the look and feel of a Hammer movie. Some were utter garbage with just awful standards but there were a few gems in there. There was an episode starring Denholm Elliot (clearly struggling to pay the rent that week) in a fun episode where he's cheating on his wife with his secretary. He keeps waking up with various aspects of his life being maybe or maybe not a dream. Very interesting concept.

2. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I just finished the Longmire series on Netflix.

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I looked it up and it isn't available over here yet.

The Fall Season 3 is already available on Netflix CH, so it must be available everywhere else too.

I have watched Narcos Seasons 1 and 2: Phenomenal.

Safari Bob likes this.
  4. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Season 3 of The Fall came out in the US a year ago.

5. Diziet Sma

You know, you can be a party pooper sometimes. We might be a small country and be really behind on TV shows releases. However, we are extremely efficient at other things: Swiss chocolate? Cuckoo- clocks? Yodelling? Banking system...?

6. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't aware there was a delay that caused internet shows in English to not be available in other free countries. The internet is a mysterious mistress.

Or were you waiting for the Romansh dubbed version? ;)

7. Diziet Sma

Ha, ha! What a picture! Foxy G. Anderson speaking in Romansh...o_O

8. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Binge watched season two of Stranger Things. I thought it was great fun. It extended both plot threads from the first season very well - that of the Upside-Down and also the illicit government research on children with special abilities. A few cheesy scenarios, e.g. the whole Dema-dogs thing was slightly silly even though it did provide Dustin a chance at a good joke or two, but that final parting between Dustin and d'Artagnan was one plot-convenience too much. Part-Exorcist/-Aliens/-Lovecraftian-mythos in feel, this second season is nevertheless not as creepy as the first, but it still delivers, and I think the writers do a fine job with ending each episode to make you immediately want to watch the next. And even though the writers reuse a plot-detail from the first season at Joyce Byer's house, it works well and surprisingly doesn't feel derivative (to me).

Joyce Byers is not as annoying as she was during the first two-thirds of the first season with her unreasonable hysterics, and El's tangential journey of self-discovery was a pleasant surprise, where her storyline only connects with the others right at the end. And I thought it was quite a spectacular end, with a demonstration of El's psychokinetic abilities beyond what I expected, and the excellent three-pronged attack without which success would not have been possible. The third-prong, however, was not part of the plan, rather an ad-hoc contingency thought of by Mike and the boys. Good initiative and bravery by the gang. Highlights in the performances were those by Joe Keery, who played the popular high-school jock in the first season, and really develops well in this second season. Also, Gaten Matarazzo's performance as the shaggy-haired Dustin Henderson stood out in the gang. I also liked Sean Astin playing Bob Newby, the well-meaning, kind-hearted, unexceptional but ultimately courageous boyfriend of Joyce Byers.

Great end to the season with a looming presence foreshadowing "something wicked this way comes". I am really looking forward to season 3, where hopefully more mysteries of the Upside-Down will be properly revealed. By which I mean: exactly what the fuck is it?

9. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

We've been enjoying the stand alone episodes of Easy and Spike Lee's new version of She's Gotta Have It. Spike Lee is a brilliant guy, so when the show seems like clumsy schlock at times you have to watch on faith that he is setting you up for bigger things.

Also really enjoyed Glow, also on Netflix.

10. Diziet Sma

I have watched Fauda Season 1: An excellent dramatisation of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and also Stranger Things Season 2: Far more fun than season 1.
    I have also begun Peaky Blinders. I have read many good reviews, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm struggling with the Brummie accent but having a laugh trying to mimic it, which naturally comes out all wrong.
    La Mante (The Mantis) is another I have started watching: A french noir-ish crime series. Carol Bouquet plays an imprisoned serial killer helping her police son to solve a case. It is very French as far as its tone and acting style are concerned: Bouquet's hieratic and stoical composure and minimal dialogues compared to the dramatic reactions unleashed by some other characters. It is enjoyable if you are into this type of acting.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Safari Bob likes this.
  11. Safari Bob

I want to see this now.

I just finished watching Firefly over Christmas.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  12. Diziet Sma

I have watched an excellent psychological thriller called Mindhunter. This series is set in the 70s; two FBI agents are trying to develop behavioural science by delving into the psychology of murders and studying closely real monsters. Highly recommended.

Boreas likes this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I just watched the first episode two days ago! What an excellent introduction. Totally sold!

14. Safari Bob

15. Diziet Sma

I have just started season 4 of Peaky Blinders.

By order of the Peaky Fucking Blinders!

Safari Bob likes this.
  16. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I'm waiting for this to be on Netflix. I only watched the first 3 series just after the 4th screened, so missed out on it. I've heard the 4th is outstanding though!

17. Diziet Sma

I have just finished the last episode, and it is excellent.
    This 4rth season hasn't been my favourite though; I prefer the 2nd and 3rd, but this is a question of personal preference as each season runs a different theme.
    You've got to love the Brummies. And Alfie Solomons (Tom Hardy) is sublime.

TomTB likes this.
  18. Safari Bob

I started watching this:

I enjoy it! Surprise twist at the end of Season 1.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  19. 11loveswaffles

11loveswaffles New Member

20. Diziet Sma

Grenseland (Borderline), this is a Norwegian crime-thriller that tells the story of Nikolai Andreassen, a police detective who covers up a murder case to protect his family.
    This is a mini-series with a good characterization and a decent plot, although a very rushed ending in my view.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018