What are you enjoying on TV right now?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Blake Mason, Aug 11, 2015.

?

Addicted to TV?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Paritially

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not addicted, just an enthusiast

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I WATCH TV - that is all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can take TV or leave it

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. I don't watch anything on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have cut myself off from society and only saw this survey as it was brought to me by snails

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Watched the tenth (of eleven) episode of the first season of Rick and Morty. This show is out-fucking-standing! It gets better and better; the plots keep getting more convoluted, but the writers don't falter. Some of the unexpected turns of events are just too good, but so far they've limited the implied repercussions of some stories to their respective episodes and not shown the effects spilling over a wider story-arc. But this tenth episode did connect every previous episode at a meta-level whilst also allowing for the flexibility to keep them self-contained if the writers so wish it (it's very much like an inter-dimensional version of Poul Anderson's Time Patrol or even Asimov's Eternals). R&M is the best, and I mean absolute best science fiction satire I've ever seen. This isn't just some simple lifting of familiar tropes to incorporate into stories for a few laughs - they have paid serious tribute to some very specific story-lines from Asimov to Simak to Anderson to Bradbury to King and more by parodying the hell out of them. They also have their random gags as the episodes run their course.

2. Rowaire

Rowaire New Member

I'm watching The Expanse, well waiting for s2 to be on Netflix Mexico, I love some hard sci-fi. But while I wait I started watching Dark Matter, my only problem is that sometimes they act in a cheesy way I don't believe they are in space.

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Bienvenido @Rowaire! I am, on the other hand, avoiding the TV series till I get round to reading the books, at least the first three, I have already bought. I will get round it, sometime this decade...;)

4. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

For me, the reboot has lost its way and I no longer watch Dr Who. The Old Dr Whos were a mixed bag too. It could be just that I was very young, but the black and white Dr Who was seriously scary!

I loved "Blakes 7" when it was first shown. Watched an episode on youtube and cringed a little. Terry Nation wrote it and he created the Daleks.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

I expected Rick and Morty to suck and was quite surprised when it absolutely didn't. The third season isn't quite as amusing and seems to focus a lot more on cheap pop-culture references while (hopefully not) abandoning the trans-dimensional element of the show. Rick is everything Doctor Who should have been and really shows how dire that has become.

6. Diziet Sma

I have watched The Bridge Series, 2013. This is an adaptation of the original Swedish/Danish production Bron/Broen 2011, which I thought it was really good.
    I was somehow reluctant to watch this US version but found it very exciting and well accomplished. Recommended for those who enjoy crime series.

7. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Animated "Big Mouth" on Netflix is wonderful. Aside from being incredibly funny, it should be mandatory for middle school kids in health class.

Right now we've been enjoying "GLOW" and "The Good Place".

I refuse to entertain "The Orville". The bar is so low for television SF as it is, introducing a parody of the worst parts of Star Trek as serious TV is unforgivable.

8. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I have been watching Supernatural season 5.

9. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I think Anderson's character may be the powerful and wise female character I've seen on screen.

Her line about what men fear from women and women fear from men was must see viewing.

The series over all was just excellent, including the very fair depiction of the killer as a human being. Father and murderer with no incongruity. You begin to understand why families of murderers are unable to completely revile the murderer.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I haven't been watching much TV with any regularity for some time, but the first two seasons of The Fall are, by far, some of the most elegantly scripted for a crime drama show I have ever seen in recent years. I was astounded by its quality. It's denuded of all ostentatious gristle and concentrates on storytelling at its most basic. Mood, tone, pace, character development, dialogue, acting...all are handled with a subtle and subdued panache.

11. Diziet Sma

I haven’t watched the third season of The Fall. It is still not available over here but I’m really looking forward to it.

Regarding other crime series, have any of you watched Wallander based on Henning Mankell books? I really enjoyed the books and have watched both the BBC production and the original Swedish one.
    Kenneth Branagh does a good job, however, the Swedish series is more dynamic and faithful to the original story; that is of course if you don’t mind watching a V.O version with English subtitles.

I have also watched Engrenages (Spiral), a French crime series. I found it disappointing and I haven’t continued after completing the 1st season. I have to admit I have a personal dislike towards female characters who feel, in order to come across as tough, independent, resourceful, intelligent blah, blah, blah have to act more macho than their male counterparts. Hence my preference towards Gillian Anderson acting style.

Safari Bob likes this.
  12. Safari Bob

I have a couple of seasons of the BBC on dvd and I have read many of the Mankell books. I have not seen the Swedish production. I enjoy the series and the character but my wife can't stand it (she thinks Wallander is whiney).

13. Diziet Sma

Well, Wallander in the Swedish production is a much rounder character and definitely less whiney. However, there is a change of the actor who plays Wallander, right at the beginning, maybe after completing the 1st season (I can’t remember exactly). At first, it felt a bit odd but I honestly found the new actor equally engaging if not more.

Safari Bob likes this.
  14. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I hadn't realized that "Fallen" would continue after the antagonist departed.

For another Netflix crime series, I quite liked "River". And of course "Narcos" - the third season is even better than the first two.

15. Diziet Sma

I have watched the six episodes during the last couple of days. I have enjoyed River's eerie and dramatic character. Although this element tends to be a constant in crime series main roles, it was very well carried out. The last episode was my favorite: very emotional; but then I was in the mood for a romantic, tragic finale.

16. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Did you like River's "ailment"?

17. Diziet Sma

Firstly, I enjoyed the fact his visitors weren’t whispering in his ear the solution to the different cases; they were a constant reminder to River to get on with it and to get it right. And secondly, it made me feel tender towards River, having to live such a lonely existence.

The final scene I thought it was great, emotional but not cheese. Well, maybe a bit. I just love the song I Love to Love and how they danced their farewell to it.

18. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I like how his interactions prevent the viewer from ever deciding what is "really" happening to him.

19. Safari Bob

I bought the kids all the seasons of Defiance. The boy is hooked.
    [​IMG]

Diziet Sma likes this.
  20. Diziet Sma

I have just finished 7th season of The Walking Dead: gruesome and fun as always.