What are you enjoying on TV right now?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Blake Mason, Aug 11, 2015.

?

Addicted to TV?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Paritially

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not addicted, just an enthusiast

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I WATCH TV - that is all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can take TV or leave it

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I don't watch anything on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have cut myself off from society and only saw this survey as it was brought to me by snails

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I'm up to speed with Walking Dead, and now started watching Vikings, which is absolutely amazing.

I really have no idea what the plan is for Walking Dead, but I think I'm about ready for it all to draw to a close. I'm looking forward to the remaining episodes in the current season (a couple weeks to wait), but certain elements are getting a bit monotonous.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. Gary Burley

Gary Burley Full Member

i just finished watching The Kettering Incident, series 1. its a weird science, aliens, outbreak and virus series set in New Zealand. its excellent and strange too

3. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

My partner loves Walking Dead but it's a plodding show and I'm pretty much done with it. I wish it would just stop now. There was one series of the whole cast just plodding through the woods and it really dragged. The first half of the current series was so depressing I warned her that I just wasn't going to watch it anymore. It did pick up somewhat in the second half.
    Recently got hold of 'Iron Fist.' It was ok, a bit jumbled and the lead character was a bit of a struggle to get used to but my other-half loved it.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

I have just watched the first two episodes of The Fall with Gillian Anderson and I'm hooked. Consequently, I haven't read this evening a single page of Endymion. So far it is a great psychological thriller with great acting and a good script.
    I'm having some difficulty with the northern-Irish accent but I will tune into it shortly.

Boreas likes this.
  5. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Started watching Penny Dreadful over the weekend. It's really bloody good! Didn't realise it had James Bond in it ...

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

YES! It is bloody brilliant! I watched the first two seasons and then were no more since Anderson took time off to do the new X-Files, and I haven't checked up on it since. I was so mesmerised by this absolutely quality show, and now you've reminded me that I need to catch up. I started a discussion thread for this early on when I was completely taken in by the show's superb writing, pacing, atmosphere...everything! Gillian Anderson is like a live-action version of Paula Myo from the Commonwealth duology by Peter F. Hamilton. I swear, I love stoic and obsessive characters like these.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Boreas

I've been watching no TV shows lately, but I've had a few in mind. I did see the first two episodes of Black Mirror some months ago. They are excellently made. Brilliant near future science fiction. BUT, that first episode made me want to puke. Second episode was stunningly brutal in its consequences. I'll have to continue the series sometime soon and also The Fall.

8. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

I loved Gillian Anderson in the BBC adaptation of Bleak House. Have you watched it? Superb! In The Fall you just can’t ignore her presence, she speaks with her eyes.

I watched Black Mirror when first came out a few years back. I thought it was a great series. Did I enjoy it? I don’t think I did because I haven’t continued watching it. Some of the topics covered in BM trespassed my limit of creepiness. It was distressing to watch at times. I have it available over here but somehow I never feel in the mood for it.

9. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

My wife and I watch Lucifer together and joke about it being "date night".

10. Boreas

I read the comics for approximately the first two years while it was being published since I was a big Sandman fan. How's the show?

11. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

She enjoys it. The first season was OK but now most of the main characters know he is El Diablo. However, the actor does a good job playing the scoundrel.

I've never read the comics. Are they dark? Funny? Cheesy?

12. Boreas

The first two story arcs I read of Lucifer were very good. Neither exactly dark nor funny, but imbued with light subversive qualities and ironic undertones. I thought it was solid writing from Mike Carey.

BUT, you should eschew Lucifer for now in favour of reading The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Together with some of the works by Alan Moore, Art Spiegelman, Tezuka Osamu and a few others, it's one of the pinnacles of graphic storytelling. You will meet Lucifer in brief in the first volume - that episode is fantastic - and the spectacular story line "Seasons of Mists" is where you meet Lucifer for the second time and which is the springboard for the later spin-off series, Lucifer.

The Sandman is a loving ode to myth, religion and literature, filled with allusions and interpretations from Milton, the Bible to Aeschylus, amongst many others, and all framed within acts ultimately making up a Shakespearean tragedy (the Bard himself is a recurring character, and is in some sense one aspect of Gaiman writing himself into this fiction and playing with the contextual elements of literature as a form). And what makes it so particularly good is its denouement. To find such a tightly written and worthy ending to a narrative is uncommon in any medium.

The Sandman is Gothic horror and urban fantasy, fairy tale and fable, filled with gods and earthly monsters, and occupies that slipstream edge between mundane reality and the unconstrained, chaotic subconscious. It was Gaiman at his most vibrant and energetic, and it is his magnum opus.

Safari Bob likes this.