What are you enjoying on TV right now?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Blake Mason, Aug 11, 2015.

?

Addicted to TV?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Paritially

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not addicted, just an enthusiast

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I WATCH TV - that is all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can take TV or leave it

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. I don't watch anything on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have cut myself off from society and only saw this survey as it was brought to me by snails

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think it could have worked if they had taken a short break and presented the Connery version of Robin Hood as a new show.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I just binge watched 4 episodes of Stranger Things and I should have been in bed around two hours ago at the latest. And I want to continue watching, but I'll be really suffering for it in the morning if I do. It really is an 80's nostalgia fest. I can't help thinking of films like The Goonies or Close Encounters of the Third Kind that I had watched on repeat as a kid. The only thing I'm finding annoying is Winona Ryder's overly whiny performance. Really liking most of the 80's music they've used so far. But they started off with a Jefferson Airplane number. The older brother's got great taste in music.

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

It's funny! I liked her whining, uncompromising, loca attitude...
    I finished and enjoyed Penny Dreadful. It has its ups and down during the three series, but overall fun to watch: very gothically themed with some hilarious connecting characters. Very disappointing Ethan Chandler's wolf transformation special effect: he looked rather like a very ugly teddy bear.

I have also started Vikings and Marco Polo. Not sure about either one yet...

4. Boreas

I have no problems with her being verrückt or having an uncompromising attitude. I just thought the whining and incoherent babbling got tiresome. She could have been just as crazy and uncompromising without having to constantly break down into sniffles and tears. Otherwise, I'm really, really enjoying it so far. Will likely finish this first season over the weekend.
    Not seen Marco Polo, but I've seen the first two seasons of Vikings and it was good. The ritualistic scenes are wonderful. I love how they've incorporated Norse worship into the show. And I'm very glad HBO didn't get its hands on this.

5. Diziet Sma

Babbling wie verrückt… I get it. Doesn’t the underworld remind you a bit of Pan’s Labyrinth?

I have watched a couple of more episodes of Vikings and it is definitely growing on me. It reminds me of Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Chronicles (personally, I find Cornwell’s books far better) this tongue in cheek view of the clash between the Nordic heathens and Christians. Floki is definitely so far my favourite character. I like how they are dealing with the language issue. Amongst the Danes, they speak English with a very flat intonation and open vowels representative of their own language. They switch to the respective languages whenever both sides meet to underline the confusion in their first encounters. Clever that they have acknowledged that Mid Atlantic English wasn't the language SVIII Europe.

Marco Polo is growing on me inversely proportionally to Vikings… I

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  6. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

I don't get to watch TV very often, I'm usually too busy. I did hear about a new series of Red Dwarf and watched that this morning. It was pretty good, it captured the essence of the earlier stuff quite well. I couldn't really get into it, I think it was a product of its time and maybe that time is over. Still, it was good to see it back, even though the guys all look really old (and bigger.)

7. Jack Brewhouse

I just caught the first episode of Westworld. It's very different from the movie of the same name and doesn't seem to borrow much from it. It does have the same narrative issue, ie that the robots are hugely expensive, complex things that are built to be shot at by idiots. Ignoring that, the first episode sets up that there's a lot more to it which is intriguing and works nicely to hook you in.
    There's a very nice narrative trick in the early part which works very well to establish that some thought has been put into this and it's not just your usual run of the mill sci-fi junk. Best of all is a really very impressive cast. It looks and feels more like a movie, production values are incredibly high and there are no weak performances.
    Jack was impressed.

8. Boreas

I'm looking forward to watching the TV adaptation of Westworld once the season is finished. But first, I'll have to watch the original movie.

9. Jack Brewhouse

I wished I'd had the patience to wait too, I normally prefer to binge it. After the pilot, I have to say, it's quite impressive. Now it just needs to tell a cohesive story without relying on a cliffhanger hook.
    It seems very different from the movie, borrowing only basic elements and seems to be trying hard to change things around to deliver something different and a bit more up to date. I'll probably now just ignore it and grab the whole lot for a weekend binge at some point in the future when I can get the house to myself.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

After having watched the 1992 Buffy, the Vampire Slayer film, I decided to watch the initial episodes of the later TV series. I watched the 2-part introduction, "Welcome to the Hellmouth" & "The Harvest", and the third stand-alone episode "The Witch". And it was fun. I actually miss the 80s aesthetic and quirky humour from the film, but the writing felt more solid with these few episodes and the main character is less vacuous than as depicted in the film.

Anybody likes/dislikes the show? I remember it being all the rave in the late 90's.

11. Diziet Sma

I have just finished Season 6 of The Walking Dead and it has been predictably fun, exhausting at times but enough is going on to keep me going, which is more I can say about other series I have given up, such as Marco Polo and Lilyhammer(embarrassing terrible).
    I have just watched first episode of The Expanse and I’ll continue and see how it evolves.
    I have also enjoyed Season 2 of Vikings, although I keep missing the pace, tension and quality of the adventures told in the Saxon Chronicles (books not tv show).
    Never watched Buffy, the Vampire Slayer but remember being extremely popular at the time it was running on TV in the UK.

12. Jack Brewhouse

My partner loves the Walking Dead but neither of us could stomach the spin-off 'Fear the Walking Dead.' The original still manages to just about stay interesting.

13. Boreas

I still haven't watched The Walking Dead just because zombies annoy me most times. Is it really as good as a lot of people say?

14. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Me and the Mrs started watching The Walking Dead last week. We're watching the 3rd season now, and both really like it! We'll probably slow down the pace a tad though now, you can have too much of a good thing!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. Diziet Sma

I have grown vey fond of the zombies in a perverse kind of way. I find them very amusing with their eloquent dialogs: “AHHHHHHHHHHH”
    They just provide the dystopian background for a very decent characterisation and script, at times, not all the way through the 6 seasons. Even zombies struggle to keep a high standard in their gruesome, morbid condition.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Boreas likes this.
  16. Jack Brewhouse

It really isn't about the zombies, the real threat is the people that are left and it poses the question of who of us are best equipped to survive such things.

17. Jack Brewhouse

I have to say a big shout-out to Westworld. It's literally one of the best sci-fi series I have seen on TV. It's smart, cleverly plotted, many parallels to the philosophies of human life, many hidden meanings, twists, and a good ending that tied up all the questions at the end of the first season. It was a very worthwhile show apart from one minor details that bugged me, I loved it.

18. Boreas

Lately, I've been sporadically watching episodes of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. If you haven't seen it, it's essentially classic space opera mixed in with 70's style kick action, covert moonlighting scenes with accompanying music that wouldn't be too out of place in a Bruce Lee film, and skimpy or tight fitting female attire. In short, a little cheesy but really enjoyable. And I've always liked Erin Gray.

19. Diziet Sma

I'm enjoying at the moment Orange is the New Black.
    Very black humour. Great characterisation. However, as it takes place in a female prison, there is very explicit language and sexual content. Not for everyone...

20. Jack Brewhouse

To get me in the mood for a story, I've recently re-watched 'Ashes to Ashes.' It's really good with solid writing in every episode.