What are you enjoying on TV right now?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Blake Mason, Aug 11, 2015.

?

Addicted to TV?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Paritially

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not addicted, just an enthusiast

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I WATCH TV - that is all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can take TV or leave it

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  6. I don't watch anything on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have cut myself off from society and only saw this survey as it was brought to me by snails

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

In past years I watched a lot more TV than I do now, but based on some comments above I probably still watch more than most others here.

My current favorites have been Person of Interest (series finale tonight), and Elementary on CBS. Orphan Black on BBC-America just ended its fourth season, and next year will be its last. I'm anxious for The Expanse to return to Syfy in January, but also like 12 Monkeys a lot. I'm also catching up on some older series on Netflix.

2. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

I'm quite liking Preacher. I liked the earlier comic books but as they went along, they got less and less interesting. The TV show seems like a pretty good adaptation if the main character's casting is a little off.

3. Jack Brewhouse

Ok... it finally happened. I'm not going to apologise for it. I resisted as long as I could but it happened. My partner watches these really crappy daytime dramas, they're Chinese dubbed into Khmer and they're garbage, utter garbage. Still, she likes them.
    So I took a deep breath and said to her the words I never thought would be on my lips, "Would you like to watch a TV series called 'Game of Thrones' with me?" I wasn't expecting too much, mostly for it to be over-rated garbage and it was a pleasant surprise. I don't really like fantasy but this was so well made that I could overlook all that. From the opening scene, the spectacle of the wall nails itself right there in your imagination. The sheer scope of the ideas are impressive enough to make your mind scream, 'answer these questions.'
    She's now wandering around, randomly quoting the show, she absolutely loves it. I really like it too. There are some things I'm not so keen on. As an Englishman I find Tyrion's accent laughable. I've heard it was inspired by other things, Lord of the Rings for one but some of the ideas seem plucked directly out of popular culture. None of this is too distracting, it's an engaging show. I've heard a lot of people bemoaning the death count and was warned not to get attached to any of the characters as they tended to die off routinely but it's nowhere near as bad as people say. I think the level is just about right. So, yeah. GOT, not too bad.

Boreas and TomTB like this.
  4. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

Game of Thrones is the only thing I've made an effort to watch on television for the past few years, except for the one season of You, Me and the Apocalypse.

5. Jack Brewhouse

I liked You, Me and the Apocolypse. Have you ever seen 'Plebs?' It's a UK sitcom set in ancient Rome. I loved it and ended up watching everything the cast was ever in.

6. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I only managed 3 episodes of You, Me & the Apocalypse before getting a bit bored. I think I may have the whole (first) series recorded though, so could jump back on it if it's really worth it?

7. Jack Brewhouse

It could have been better. It needed more comedy.

8. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I haven't watched it as I intend to finish the books firstly. Wishful thinking! I'm an optimist and I really hope G.R.R Martin will get to it eventually.... Then, I will get the TV series and enjoy a Game of Thrones marathon week end.

9. Jack Brewhouse

I haven't read the books. I know people who have that say that the TV show stands up pretty well against them. It's very watchable and slightly addictive.

10. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I watched the first three seasons of Game of Thrones before stopping because I only read the first three books. Plus, I must admit, I started getting a little bored after the visual novelty wore off. The first season was particularly enjoyable because the translation from book onto screen was so well done and I was seeing all the different aspects of Westeros for the first time. A lot of effort and detail went into those locations, sets and costumes and I was duly impressed.

But I think my favourite [historical] fantasy TV series remains Robin of Sherwood.

Also, I'm now thinking of giving Stranger Things a go. Keep getting recommendations from just about everyone to watch it.

11. Jack Brewhouse

Each episode had the quality of a movie in terms of production values. It was impressive. I thought it would be something for my partner to watch while I played on my computer but I actually enjoyed it.

Hah... Robin of Sherwood... now that was a show!

12. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Not a patch on Maid Marian and her Merry Men. Now THAT was a show!

13. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I missed that one. I did see Rome though, which was excellent. Had a lot in commong with Game of Thrones, but with fewer main characters dying and more humour.

14. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

Oh yes! That one was magical. Up until they lost Michael Praed.

Boreas and Jack Brewhouse like this.
  15. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

Rome by BBC? if so, I have also watched it I did enjoy it.

16. Jack Brewhouse

Yeah, sadly. Jason Connery just didn't have his father's charisma (talent). That was a brilliant and dark series. The best representation of the legend this far, I think.

Boreas likes this.
  17. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

18. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

Plus changing the character to a different take on the Robin Hood story just wasn't going to work in the same series.

19. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I heard the sets caught fire and they didn’t have the budget to continue after Series 2. Shame! I used to find the Londoner accent hilariously authentic…

20. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Agreed, with a but...

But Jason Connery kind of grew on me by the end of the 3rd season. And as I grew older and thought about the series and re-watched some episodes (have never actually re-watched the entire show from beginning to end), I have to commend the writers for being as bold as they were. Not something you see often, where a show takes such a massive, nearly fatal chance and still manages to carry it through. It's a crying shame that they cancelled before the final season could be made. It was, and remains, one of the better historical dramas BBC has done and the absolute best iteration of the Robin Hood legend. And top music by Clannad. Used to listen to the soundtrack very often.