What are you enjoying on TV right now?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Blake Mason, Aug 11, 2015.

?

Addicted to TV?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Paritially

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not addicted, just an enthusiast

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I WATCH TV - that is all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can take TV or leave it

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. I don't watch anything on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have cut myself off from society and only saw this survey as it was brought to me by snails

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Blake Mason

Blake Mason New Member

What series or shows are you watching on TV ?

2. Blake Mason

Blake Mason New Member

Right now, I've been rewatching Sense8 ... WHAT A rollor coaster ride!!! There is so much to see and envision from this series. It's a short one season series - which recently has been guarenteed a second season. It was conceived by the Watchowski's - Lana and Andy, along with J. Michael Straczynski. The scope of the show is international with 8 main characters, and various ancillary charactors in 9 cities (one of the main characters changes cities in the series). The diversity spans sexuality (which from a personal perspective is done really well ... ) and race, socio-economic and concepts of conformity, science and religon. The dynamic energy and meticulous detail as well as the emotive story telling make this a series well worth enjoying!

It's only on Netflix ...

3. Blake Mason

Blake Mason New Member

Has anyone been enjoying Persons of Interest?

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm currently not watching any TV shows. I was watching Stargate SG-1 recently for the first time, but I stopped somewhere in the middle of season 2 (around episode 14 or 15) and I do want to continue with it since the plot was finally taking shape.

The last two shows that I've been in love with have both been police procedurals: The Fall and Engrenages. Both are superb.

Never seen Sense8 nor Persons of Interest. Will look them up.

5. Boreas

I tried the first episodes of two new science fiction shows: Killjoys and Dark Matter. I think both are offerings by Syfy.

Killjoys tried too hard, methinks. I have the impression its trying (in some 'gritty' way) to fill the void left by the cancellation of Firefly. Anyway, not very impressed, and whilst I should watch a few more episodes before conferring final judgement, I'm really not too inclined. On the plus side, the first episode did seem to do a somewhat decent job of introducing some world-building elements.

Dark Matter, whilst still fairly standard fare, turned out better - more interesting plot, some immediate potential for group dynamics (even whilst typecasting the characters a little too quickly for my tastes) and a better mystery. I think I will continue with a few more episodes of this and see how it turns out.

6. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I've been watching You, Me and the Apocalypse. First series that I've really followed in years! I don't know if it's being shown outside the UK, but it's worth catching up with. Both SciFi and hilarious.

7. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I watched the first few episodes. Thought it was ok. I've got it all recorded so far so will watch the rest fairly soon no doubt.

8. Boreas

I just started watching Dr. Who for the very first time, but instead of starting with the new reboot from the mid-2000s, I've gone all the way back to 1963. Seen the first two episodes so far - Ep. 1: "An Unearthly Child" and Ep. 2: "The Cave of Skulls" - and they have surprisingly good, especially ep. 2. Think I'm going to enjoy it more than I expected. Any of you Dr. Who fans?

9. Boreas

I've started watching a TV show again after a long time. I've watched the first two episodes of The Expanse. I've only ever read the first volume of the series, but I think they've done a pretty good job in adapting it for the small screen. They're squeezing in a lot of plot per episode. They've also introduced a third plot thread that wasn't there in the first book, Leviathan Wakes, but it integrates well. It's keeping my interest. Very glad that it's a 'hard science fiction' story on TV! They cancelled the last very good one that I was aware of: Star Cops, a British, hard sf, detective show.

10. TomTB

Pretty sure (despite not having seen the tv series - just from what I've been told) that the tv version includes storylines and characters from the first 3 books. I don't watch a lot of telly, but I'm so tempted by this; I adore the books and have heard numerous times that the tv series does them justice!

Boreas likes this.
  11. Boreas

I think you should watch it, Tom. I really do think they're doing a good job. It's holding up well against my memory of Leviathan Wakes and they've done a fantastic job with the Belter culture, specifically the language. Miller is dope. Holden comes across as less of a tosser...so far. I like this new (for me) character - the Indian politician woman (forget her name). She seems hard as nails.

Edit: Also, I've decided to watch the entire first season before deciding if I want to continue with the books directly after that, or watch the entire show to it's conclusion...but then that means waiting a few years before getting to the books.

12. TomTB

Avasalara! She's one of my favourite characters in the books .. hard as nails with a compassionate side .. Absolutely love her! You're right, of course, I will watch it at some point. I'll probably wait until it's available on dvd then binge watch it

13. Boreas

Right, Avasalara! They chose a good woman to play her. She looks French or Mediterranean European (hmm...where are all those SJWs who keep calling whitewash? wankers!). You can download them all in really high quality and watch them now! I think the DVD set might already be available. I'm really enjoying it. And because I mostly know the story, I'm able to appreciate the little things they've done on the show.

14. Boreas

I have just started watching the The Last Ship and I've been hooked from the first episode on. It's a post-apocalyptic show based on William Brinkley's eponymous novel, but the show supplants the cold-war nuclear theme with a global, viral pandemic. A Destroyer is at the Artic doing exercises for app. 4 months and has been under radio silence. They've also got a couple of viral biologists they're playing hosts to who are studying or taking samples of some birds. With re-established communications, they find out that in those 4 months the world has fallen into utter disarray, with void governments and an estimated half of the global population dead and the other half slowly dying. By virtue of their isolation, those aboard the Destroyer are some of the lucky ones. Watched an episode last night and just watched two more right now. I'm going to watch the fourth, but then I'll be taking a break and spacing out the episodes.

I love naval stories, and I'm loving the depiction of naval operations here. Plus, the non-CGI special effects and sets are great. Almost movie quality explosions, too. Great pace. And as a special bonus, it's got Jayne, the hero of Canton, as the XO.

15. Boreas

Couldn't pace myself. Have been binge watching The Last Ship this weekend in lieu of reading. First time I've been watching any TV show with enthusiasm in quite a while. Simple premise, but thoroughly enjoyable. Action sequences have continuously delivered. On the second season now (ep. 7 of 13).

16. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I looked up The Last Ship in Netflix CH and of course is not available.
    I tried and gave up Falling Skies, American Horror Story and Ascension.
    I guess TV series and I are not on speaking terms...

17. TomTB

I struggle with TV series. I don't watch a lot of telly as it is, but when it comes to the longer US style series, I've never managed to see one out. The furthest I got was Breaking Bad, where I got to Season 4 (I think ..). I got as far as Season 1 of A Game of Thrones, Season 3 of American Horror Story ... and that's pretty much it.

18. Boreas

I haven't watched any TV programme regularly for a long time. Last year I got into the British Brainwashing Corporation's The Fall with Gillian Anderson. This is a truly excellent crime show; a deliberately paced psychological drama that was proving itself a tour de force by the end of the second season. Haven't checked if season 3 has been released yet. Episodes are small in number - around 5-6 per season (finale for season 2 was movie length).

The Last Ship is not a particularly high-quality or nuanced show. But it is fun and action-packed. And like I've said, I'm partial to naval stories. I've also added William Brinkley's novel on my to-be-read pile. I've been watching it here: http://thewatchseries.to/serie/the_last_ship.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  19. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Same here. I don’t watch any TV and I think I don’t have much patience for it. However, I have watched great US series in the past: The Wire, Deadwood, Sons of Anarchy & Carnivale. European ones: Walander (Swedish version) Borgen and Forbrydelsen (The Killing)
    @TomTB By the way, I’m positive England will play better next time: anyone can have a bad hair day:)

TomTB likes this.
  20. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

The only show I'm addicted to and watch religiously, is Impractical Jokers.
    It's four best friends who compete to humiliate each other. I like it because so much of it is improvised and off the cuff, and the guys are New Yorkers, and I like New Yorkers.

Diziet Sma likes this.