Transhumanism

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wakarimasen, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I don't see much point in re-defining transhumanism to include things that contemporary people have considered merely "human" for millennia. It might be a fun brain teaser, but misses the useful definition of the concept.

2. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article - I've downloaded to read

3. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, transhumanism is about merging tech and biology so that humans can do things they couldn't before. Or maybe do things on some superhuman level. You can do it through more superficial implants or advanced prosthetics or maybe implant stuff directly on the brain like they do in Neal Asher's Polity with those augs. Or even nanotechnology that either changes your biology or enhances/protects your body like Wolverine's healing factor. Those bald Conjoiners in Revelation Space with their head full of nanotech is a good example. But it's basically supposed to be about prolonging death or even cheating it, right?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I don't think simply prolonging life alone would be "transhuman". I'm sure there are people that would choose to lower their life expectancy in exchange for certain powers.

However, speeding up the mental clock to back more cognition into every moment is effectively increasing your lifespan. Even something simple like if we didn't have to sleep that would be like adding another 40 years to your lifespan. Thinking twice as fast is like doubling your lifespan.

5. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Typo. I meant prolonging life and cheating death. But I guess everyone got that anyway.
    This feels like you're just changing the subjective experience of the lifespan, not actually changing how long the body will live. You could extend physical life + change the subjective experience for double the whammy.

6. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Is there anything more to living than the subjective experience? If you were frozen for 1000 years, would you say you've lived for 1000 years?

7. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

But I also wouldn't want to be like Picard in that one episode of ST:TNG where he lives an entire subjective lifetime in a few minutes. At least he came out of it playing the flute, but the whole thing felt really sad. Don't know if I could handle that kind of experience. Too overwhelming.

8. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

What would be "overwhelming" is to effectively time travel back to the middle of your life. The actual living part up to that point would be no different than the rest of your life.

9. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Well, it depends on which angle you would like to tackle this argument.
    For Plato’s school of thought, the main premise in living would be to achieve true knowledge.
    True knowledge can only be reached with our reason, whereas our perception of what surrounds us, which is in a constant state of change, depends on our senses. This world of senses can only provide a limited and subjective experience.
    Therefore, we can only reach the world of ideas with our reason, free of subjectivity and biases.

And then again, you could easily come back to me with the empiricists' theories. Just food for thought…. ;)

10. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

We were just speaking of experiencing time.

11. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

…by living.
    Is there anything else to living but the experiencing of time (according to you, through the subjectivity of your senses) towards the only certainty we have: our death?

Anyhow, regardless of the content of my previous post, my intention was to introduce the idea that, sometimes, it is enriching to look at arguments from different perspectives. That was all.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  12. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Sure, there are many things "to living" outside of counting the moments go by. I just meant that the human ability to experience the passage of time is subjective both biologically and physically.

That notion does not conflict with any other perspective. I was just clarifying that I wasn't making any sort of philosophical statement.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017