Title and Author Help Please!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Tom McGilligan, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Tom McGilligan

Tom McGilligan New Member

Hi,

I have been trying for days to to remember a story, a short story I think. Here is what I recall:

This is about a man, I think, who is somehow subjected to a changing rate to time passage. His view continues to speed up until day and night changes so fast it is like a strobe. From the view of the man he is seen to be moving more slowly and the story ends with the narrator saying that even now his hand is moving up.

I hope this rings a bell.

And Thanks!

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Is this something recent? There's a scene like this with the rapid passage of time in Hodgson's The House on the Borderland from the early 1900's. The person watches the days and nights change at such speed that it's perpetually twilight until several thousand million years pass and the sun goes out.

3. Tom McGilligan

Sorry, but I think this is older. Guessing more than twenty years.

4. Boreas

5. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Boreas, you're getting as good as Tom and Gilbert together from Amazon sci-fi forum. Wish they had showed up but probably went to Goodreads. Anyway, sounds like you nailed this one too.

6. Boreas

Are you in touch with those guys? I think Tom signed up here, but never posted.

7. Tom McGilligan

Thanks, Boreas. I'm afraid that is not it. Interesting book though!

The story I am looking for was much more contemporary in language and probably much shorter. I suspected it was by Asimov but I could not locate it. The passage of time, as seen by this person, seems to speed up through the course of the story but somehow I think this person was in the same place throughout the story, maybe in a living room chair looking out the window. Other people see time passing normally and see my subject slowing down.

This tip will probably send readers scurrying off in the wrong direction but I originally thought the book was Flowers for Algernon. I don't know why that title came to mind for me because that is clearly not the right book, but if whatever made me think of that title is affecting another reader the same way, maybe that reader will remember the right title. I know this is a huge stretch but that is all I have!

Thanks again for looking. I am eagerly awaiting an Aha moment! ;-)

tom

8. kenubrion

I am not in touch with them.

Welcome Tom McGilligan. Hopefully we will figure out your book. In the meantime are you reading any sci-fi these days?

9. Tom McGilligan

Hi Ken,

Science Fiction is one of my lesser genres and I say that with a caveat: I really love good SF where there is a good story and where the S of SF is not the subject. 2001, Somewhere in Time, Foundation, Back to the Future, 11-22-63...like that. No monsters or space battles or horror. I just finished a couple books by R. R. Haywood, Extracted and Executed. Rather than a series, just parts 1 and 2 of the same story. Time travel with a purpose that is not immediately clear. Never heard of this author or the books. Stumbled upon at Audible. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

On my quest: It just dawned on me that maybe the book I was recalling was possibly a TV show instead, like Twilight Zone or that other anthology series I can't put my memory finger on. As I have tried to describe this "book" I have been bothered by the fact that it ends with a hand slowly rising. That scene doesn't work for me in a book now that I think about it. But it would be the perfect ending for a TV show, "his hand slowly rising, in the Twilight Zone."

tom

Boreas likes this.
  10. kenubrion

Nice post. Thanks for the mention of the Haywood books.

11. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Sffchronicles.com are another one with a good book search forum