This Thread Kills Fascists (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, May 17, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Check Your Head (1992) and Ill Communication (1994) are my two favourite Beastie Boys albums. Whilst Ill Communication contains a couple of their seminal tracks, I'd say Check Your Head is a stronger, more varied and fluid album. And one of my favourite tracks from it is #3, "Gratitude".

The music video is an homage? a parody? of Pink Floyd's amazing Live at Pompeii concert/video. The setting reminds me of Floyd's classic "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" albeit without all the scenes of exploding lava.

2. Boreas

Was obsessed with The Black Angels' psychedelic d├ębut album Passover (2006) approximately ten years ago. I continued listening to the Austin band through their sophomore effort and up to their third and fourth albums. The subsequent albums were quite decent and had some very good tracks, but nothing like the focused intensity and energy of their first effort, especially the continuous blows to the auditory senses the first five tracks delivered one after another with a sound that felt like the wailing of a bastard child engendered by The Doors and Iggy Pop's The Stooges, and maybe with a sprinkling of some minute aspects of The Velvet Underground at their most brash thrown in for good measure, although that's probably stretching it. Maybe a much chiller version of their earlier Austin compatriots, The 13th Floor Elevators, and minus the more excitable vocals of Roky Erikson?

track #2: "The First Vietnamese War"

track #5: "Black Grease"

Diziet Sma and TomTB like this.
  3. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Your mention of Austin just bought memories of a certain band come flooding back to me.

When I was at university in Leeds I saw '... And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead' several times, I was a huge fan ... they were so unbelievably good live ... always ended with them smashing up all their instruments .. a bit wasteful, but so good to watch .. Here's a couple of their tunes..

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  4. Boreas

"Khmer" is the title track off the very successful eponymous 1997 LP by Norwegian Nils Petter Molvaer, an early proponent of the 1990's nu jazz scene.

And now The Vijay Iyer Trio. I picked up their 2012 album Accelerando by chance, and it unexpectedly turned out to be amongst my most listened albums that year. I liked some of the tracks during my first listen, but I wasn't sure about the entire album. Listened to it again and by my third listen all those numbers I wasn't sure I was getting just clicked. Brilliant arrangements and thematic progression by three outstanding musicians: physicist turned professional musician and MacArthur Fellow Vijay Iyer, with Stephen Crump on doublebass and Marcus Gilmore on drums.

track #2 "Optimism" (this one took me a few listens to really appreciate and now it's one of my favourites on the album)

track #4 "Human Nature" (a jazz arrangement of a Michael Jackson song, more melodic and consequently easier to get into - starts to really get good from 3:15 onwards, everything before is a sweet albeit less interesting prelude)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  5. Boreas

Easily the best track on Gary Clark, Jr.'s Blak and Blue.

#9 "Numb"

Diziet Sma likes this.
  6. Boreas

Electric 6's very catchy and smash hit "Danger! High Voltage!" from their debut album Fire (2003). With Jack White on secondary vocals on the studio version under a pseudonym.

Live version without JW's vocals

Some electronica: "Grim Receiver" from Shit Robot's From the Cradle to the Rave (2010).

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Great! Keep posting!

8. TomTB

That's a blast from the past. You've reminded me of Gay Bar too! :)

9. TomTB

Anyone watch the Radiohead set at Glastonbury last night? Absolutely stunning .. Never been a big fan but they won me over.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

Afraid not. I've seen them live before and they put up an extremely good performance. I've never been a die-hard Radiohead fan, although I've had two short phases of being into them. Was it a short set or a full 60-90 minute performance?

11. TomTB

It was 24 songs 2 hours set. Pretty much full range of chronological output. Thoroughly recommend you watch it, it was truly out of this world .. such high tempo, supreme musicianship, hits a plenty ... purists probably not happy but finishing with Creep and Karma Police was outstanding. Can't stop thinking about it ... musicians clearly at their prime!

12. Boreas

If it's uploaded on Youtube, then I'll watch it!

Some morning music:

Somali musician K'naan's "America" from the meh 2009 LP, Troubadour. Featuring Mos Def (1st) & Chali 2na (2nd) from the great Jurassic 5.

And one of the silkiest voices ever, Dusty Springfield. Everyone thinks of "Son of a Preacher Man" but her 1970 vocal cover of "Spooky" (with 'boy' substituted for the original 'girl' by Classics IV) is just too damn sexy.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  13. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Tom for pointing this out. I have followed Radiohead on and off since the early 1990s. I have just watched it and have really enjoyed it.

TomTB likes this.
  14. TomTB

I adored them Pablo Honey / Bends era, then my musical tastes went in a different direction to the one they took, and I never really bothered with them after then.

I was blown away by their Glastonbury set though, and have since listened to several post-Bends albums and generally enjoyed them quite a bit. Kid A was a bit too leftfield for my tastes though.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. Boreas

Once in a while, covers of already excellent songs are done so well that it changes and becomes their own almost completely. So with Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower", Johnny Cash's outstanding rendition of "Hurt", and a more recent discovery of mine with the purchase of Peter Gabriel's Scratch My Back (2010), a cover album with orchestral arrangements by The Blood Orchestra. Gabriel's version of Arcade Fire's classic "My Body Is a Cage" is the highlight number of the album, filtered now as it is through the Winter moments of Gabriel's own life. Very good orchestral accompaniment.

Johnny Cash entirely transformed the meaning of Trent Reznor's drug-addicted spiral into oblivion that was "Hurt" into a retrospective of his life, a eulogy for his own old age

Safari Bob and Diziet Sma like this.
  16. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

That Johnny Cash cover of Hurt is excellent and transformative. Another cover that I think is better than the original is Disturb's cover of The Sound of Silence: