This Thread Kills Fascists (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, May 17, 2015.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Thanks Elvira, tried that icon. Oh well I'll keep trying but I've interrupted the great flow of this thread. Back to music...

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I can't help. I'm pretty rubbish myself with IT. Are you sure you are copying correctly the video link? just a thought...Otherwise, send me the video you want on this thread and I'll attach it.:)

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

@kenubrion, all you need to do is copy/paste the Youtube url in the dialogue box like normal and the video should appear.

Here's a science fiction classic, a real golden oldie. I used to freaking love this song when I was 6 or 7 or 8. My parents had quite a few compilation LPs with hits from the 50's and 60's, and they were a veritable gold mine of some pretty great tracks (and cheesy ones, too).

"In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans

And another classic that I used to love as a little kid, "Venus" by Shocking Blue

4. Diziet Sma

Oh Boy...! Never heard Zegar & Evans before. They remind me of a Mexican trio Los Panchos...
    I used to like Venus but now I can't disassociate it from the razor ad...:confused:

5. Diziet Sma

Alt J is a group I really like, more indie rock. I love how their songs are like book chapters telling you a whole story. Left Hand Free

Radiohead Creep “I’m a creep, I’m a weirdo/what the hell am I doing here, I don’t belong here” I loved singing along this...o_O

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Turn it UP.

And I've got Creep on my best-of playlist, one song per artist. It Kills.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Diziet Sma

8. Boreas

Used to really like The Kills, @kenubrion. Have listened to their first three albums like crazy, especially their first and third. But I suddenly stopped listening to them with Midnight Boom and never got any of their releases after 2008. By the way, nice segue.

@Elvira, TV on the Radio are great. Was able to see them live on three different occasions! But the bastards never, ever played one of my favourite songs: "Playhouses". There isn't even a live version on Youtube! Of their first four studio releases, my favourite has always been their second, Return to Cookie Mountain, then their first, Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babies, and then the other two.

And The Brian Jonestown Massacre > The Dandy Warhols.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. Boreas

Eric Burdon has always been one of my favourite blues-rock voices. "Hey Gyp" was always a favourite as a more up-beat and fun number. This live performance is the best version I've ever heard, a lot better than the studio recording.

And, of course, there's their famously classic rock rendition of "The House of the Rising Sun"

Diziet Sma likes this.
  10. Diziet Sma

Jack Savoretti, a very mediterranean Londoner...

11. Boreas

New Orleans legend Dr. John released a pretty damn good Cajun flavoured blues album in 2012 which was produced by Dan Auerbach of Black Keys fame. Best song by far on Locked Down was track #5, "Getaway", and it features a great guitar solo by Auerbach.

12. Boreas

Haven't listened to Massive Attack in ages, but just came across this video that someone shared. Definitely makes you think of a Culture or, more specifically, a Special Circumstances drone doing some weird, likely unsanctioned shit to a biological. If not Culture, then it could be of the Elench, but there's definitely something more SC about it. Or maybe a Polity drone? Perhaps it's the Meat Fucker exacting its own warped sense of justice on a genocidal maniac.

Great video, better than the song itself. Brilliant performance by Rosamund Pike and I now want her to be in a Culture film.

"Voodoo in My Blood"

Diziet Sma likes this.
  13. Boreas

Two of the most famous chansons of the 20th century.

Jacques Brel sings one of my favourite tracks by him, "Ce gens là", about 'those people there', who only criticise either out of disdain or jealousy, those people there who kill dreams and hold you back. Of his French songs, it's amongst the ones that affected me most even without understanding the lyrics. You can feel the cynical resentment and desperation seeping through his voice. I've never quite understood the love for "Ne me quitte pas" - it's just too overly maudlin for me. The abrasive nature of "Ce gens là" is more appealing; it cuts to the core with its melancholy and fatalism.

Edith Piaf. Enough said. Perhaps one of the most influential singers the west has ever known? Surprisingly, my favourite number of hers is a cover of a Frankie Laine original called "Jezebel". It's essentially a lament to who seems to me to be a prototype of the destructive femme fatale out of noire cinema. The English original is a great track, but Piaf's French version is a whole order of magnitude more soulful, and her throaty voice fits the Israelite-cum-Spanish musicality of the song better. This was the first Edith Piaf song I heard properly during my early twenties (I probably heard her numerous times as background music but never paid much attention) and fell in love with it immediately. And could you believe it I found a rare live recording of it on Youtube!? Bless that uploader and may the fruit of his/her loins be bountiful.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  14. Diziet Sma

Heart breaking Piaf! Fantastic life recording, thank you @Boreas !
    From the Nouvelle Chanson to Spanish Bolero. Mª Dolores Pradera, queen of Boleros, at 80 still manages to sing as well as when she was 30. A duet with a very fine, young singer, Pablo Alborán. No sé por qué te quiero (I don't know why I still love you)

Battez-Vous by Brigitte. Reminiscent of '60s Flower Power. I love this this: Saturday-night-getting-ready-sort of- song...

15. Diziet Sma

Tom Odell's last album has stayed under my radar until very recently. It is great from beginning to end.

16. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

His first album was in my cd player for months, I adored it. Not as enamoured by the recent album, but I like it. We listened to it recently quite a few times on a little family holiday down to Peppa Pig World .. my daughter didn't cry so that's a point in its favour :)

Diziet Sma likes this.
  17. Boreas

The Brian Jonestown Massacre again. This time a track from their second of the trilogy of albums they put out in 1996, Their Satanic Majesties Second Request. This trilogy as a whole was a throwback to folk-roots Americana, incorporating Rolling Stones era rock 'n roll with rhythm and blues and experimental ethnic sounds and with a not insubstantial helping of psychedelia. I was obsessed by this band for many, many seasons and finally seeing them live was a great experience. I had never imagined that they could be as loud as they were, especially for an act that does such chill music. It was a wall of sound, a cacophony of guitars and various other little notes and chords that melded and took me on a non-drug induced drug trip.

This is the only song I know where the lack of a bloody tambourine of all things would almost ruin the song. This is also the only band I know that employs a 'musician' who only plays the tambourine, if staring straight out into space in a drug haze and shaking your wrist continuously for minutes at a time can be called musicianship. It can certainly be called other things.

Two videos of the same track, "Anemone":

18. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Bez did pretty much nothing but dance, and occasionally play the tambourine, in The Happy Mondays.

Here's one where he just dances :)

19. Boreas

One of their best songs! But at least Bez was entertaining to watch. The dude from TBJM just stands like a statue shaking that tambourine.

20. Boreas

I found it! I made a mistake last time when I posted the studio version of this track and said I couldn't find the 90's David Letterman appearance when the Hip also performed this song on stage. Well, I didn't find it because it wasn't on the David Letterman Show but on Saturday Night Live!

"Grace, Too" is one of their seminal tracks, and it remains one of my favourites despite it being overplayed. It was the first Hip song I heard that just instantly got to me with its lyrics and vocals. And watching Gord is a particular treat (almost as much as watching Ian Curtis). And here, on SNL, he seems much more reserved compared to normal. This live broadcast should have been the point for Americans to get into this Canadian band but, for whatever reason, it just wasn't to be. Mainstream success in the US has always eluded the Tragically Hip.

Diziet Sma likes this.