This Thread Kills Fascists (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, May 17, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Share music here. Songs that you've loved in the past and continue to love, songs/artists that were just brief phases and which you can't listen to any more, or new discoveries that you just can't get enough of.

I'll start off appropriately with a post-apocalyptic song by the inestimable Jefferson Airplane. "Wooden Ships" is jointly credited to both Crosby, Stills and Nash and Jefferson Airplane, since members from both bands wrote the lyrics and music for the track.

Both versions are excellent, but Jefferson Airplane's version is my favourite. Grace Slick just adds a whole new heartfelt dimension to it. The song is imbued with both a mournful and slightly wistful quality that really appeals to me. They performed one of the best extended versions of this track during Woodstock, and whilst the line-up for the whole festival was pretty spectacular, Jefferson Airplane and the Jimi Hendrix Experience were in a league of their own.

I was long obsessed with Jefferson Airplane. And "Wooden Ships" (from their 1969 album Volunteers) has been one of my particular favourites from their repertoire.

Sir Arthur likes this.
  2. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

I've always had a thing for Grace Slick.

Here's a new one from my current favorite band. I like this album more every time I listen to it.

3. Boreas

Mos def. She was a babe, had charisma and style and, man, could she sing.

What made Jefferson Airplane special for me wasn't just Grace Slick, though. First off, they were unbelievably talented. Second, I loved the fact that they regularly featured dual and treble voices in their songs, mixing psychedelia with blues in their rock 'n roll. Kantner was a very talented song writer, but it was the contrasting voices between Grace Slick and Marty Balin that really made the band special for me. Balin is an excellent singer. His thrumming voice in "Wooden Ships" reaches moments of pure anguish in keeping with the sentiments of the anti-war song, where both sides annihilate each other in a nuclear war, where the "silver people on the shoreline" are people in radiation suits they're asking to "let them be". Where, as they sail away on their wooden ships (all those who make it), they're forced to watch those who succumb to the radiation...

I know I'm not of that generation, but I've been listening to Jefferson Airplane since I was young, and I went through a massive phase of 'rediscovering' them when I got older during my late teens and early twenties. The weird thing is that when I listen to some of their songs, and "Wooden Ships" in particular, I feel this tangible, almost painful tug of nostalgia that shouldn't even rightfully be mine. This song never fails to give me goosebumps every time I listen to it. And I hadn't listened to it for ages until I decided to post it here, and now I've listened to it every time I've logged on here. The Crosby, Stills and Nash version is very good, but the Jefferson Airplane version is definitely superior.

4. Butch Meathook

Butch Meathook Full Member

I am also a huge fan of Jefferson Airplane, and I think the reason for this is Jack Cassady. What an amazing bass player - one of the greatest for sure, and he carries the groove in a very recognizable and awesome way. Grace, Jorma and the other dudes are great musicians too. My favourite songs by them are probably "Crown of Creation" from the same-titled album, "Watch Her Ride" from After Bathing At Baxters, "D.C.B.A." from "Surrealistic Pillow". "After Bathing At Baxters" and "Surrealistic Pillow" are their best albums I think. "Wooden Ships" is a great song too although i don't think Volunteers as a whole matches their earlier stuff. It sounds more streamlined, urgent and political and some of the abstraction and the willingness to sway from normal song structure is lost. But times were changing, they were trying a new direction, which is all fine.
    I dig a lot of their contemporaries like Quicksilver Messenger Service, 13th Floor Elevators, The Velvet Undrground, Grateful Dead, Love, Blue Cheer, Strawberry Alarm Clock, early Pink Floyd and many other psychedelic rock bands later on like Hawkwind, the German krauts Can and Amon Düül II, and the more recent revivalists and continuators like Mercury Rev, Tame Impala, Dungen, Dead Meadow, Ozric Tentacles and many others....

Some other genres I prefer are post-punk (Killing Joke, Wire, Teardrop Explodes, The Chameleons, The Sound and many others), I also listen to a lot of progressive rock and metal, funk and dub, alternative rock and shogaze, jazz, etc.

To finish with a sci-fi classic, befitting the board:

Black Sabbath - Into the Void

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  5. Boreas

After Bathing at Baxter's is probably one of my favourite albums by Jefferson Airplane. The instrumental "Spare Chaynge" was a bit of a psychedelic revelation for me when I first heard it. I must have been, oh, around 12 or so - this was the time I was listening to tons of thrash metal (the big 4), was heavy into Guns 'N Roses, and had just discovered the so-called 'grunge' movement with Alice in Chains and Nirvana through Sub-pop. All this while still listening to the older Beatles albums during their happy-go lucky days (especially the Help album) and listening to my parents play a lot of Bob Dylan (I remember my mother regularly playing Desire in the car) and Loreena McKennit's The Visit.

You're right about Volunteers - it wasn't nearly as experimental as their earlier output and Volunteers was put out during the height of the Vietnam protests, so the political atmosphere dripped into their song writing. But that particular track, "Wooden Ships", really gets me. One of my favourites from their entire repertoire.

Early Psychedelia like the 13th Floor Elevators is the backbone for modern rock n' roll - these were the first wave garage bands. Roky Erikson was an amazing singer but such a troubled soul. Did you ever see the documentary?

I've been into all the post-punk bands you've mentioned, but I had a hard time getting into The Chamealons. They never clicked and I stopped trying after a few listens. Maybe I didn't give them a fair chance?

6. Boreas

I've been listening to a fair amount of The Brian Jonestown Massacre the last little while whenever I've been going out for walks. Mostly their trilogy of albums that they put out in 1996. I've been listening to Thank God for Mental Illness the most with Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request being the next most listened album. The mid-90s was when Anton was at his most prolific creatively and the when the influence from early rock n' roll was most conspicuous, esp. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and also folk roots, though psychedelia has been a constant skein underlying their music. I used to be massively into this band and thought they were one of the most under appreciated acts of the 1990's and even in the 2000's. Anton just never got into the publicity/promotion bandwagon (one of the main reasons the band never took off commercially). And while he's always been musically gifted, being a prick early on to everybody probably didn't help his career, either.

Saw them live in 2007. Really an excellent performance. There couldn't have been more than 400 people at the venue. Compare that to Queens of the Stone Age regularly garnering an audience of 10,000 during their Like Clockwork tour (which I saw).

Their opening track from 2008's My Bloody Underground has always been one of my favourites: always referred to as "Dropping Bombs on the White House" but the full title is "Bring Me the Head of Paul McCartney on Heather Mill's Wooden Peg (Dropping Bombs on the White House)".

7. Boreas

Felix Mendelsohn's famous "Violin Concerto No. 2 in E Minor, Op. 64". Brilliant violin concerto with a great balance between rich melodies and virtuoso sections. Really makes my heart jump and skip. This concerto was composed during the transition from the Classical to the Romantic period. It was common practice in concertos with soloists for the orchestra to introduce the theme and then for the soloist to make their entrance. Mendelsohn begins his composition directly with the main theme played by the soloist, which is more of a Romantic period feature.

The concertmaster here is Joshua Bell, one of the premier violinists alive today, made especially famous outside the classical music community with the busking experiment that the Washington Post staged, which resulted in a popular documentary.

8. Boreas

Yesterday, I was listening to some of those bands that were major influences on me during my earlier, formative years. Here are two tracks.

The third track on their 1987 album Come On Pilgrim, Pixies' "Isla de Enanta".

A friend of mine from New Rochelle in New York introduced me to Pixies with an odd superstition. That whenever he played Pixies, it always ended up raining that day, even if it was seemingly clear. The first few times I played Pixies, that superstition seemed to bear up. Of course, like all superstitions, it was short lived, but I actually gave it credence for a couple of months (I was 15). Listening to Pixies made me a life-long fan of Kim Deal, probably one of the coolest women in rock I'd ever come across (until I discovered P. J. Harvey when I was a little older and was completely enraptured by her musical prowess, voice, aura, personality - whom I finally got to see live in 2008, after years and years of waiting for a chance - I took a 9-hour train journey to another country for the chance to see her perform live).

The ultimate track on their 1992 'compilation' album Insecticide, Nirvana's "Aneurysm".

This was the very first Nirvana album I ever bought. I had already listened to Bleach and Nevermind through my friends. I went into the store wanting to buy Nevermind, but they didn't have it, so I got the recently released Insecticide instead. I was 13. Those were the days where every new album purchase was a major event, where I would hurry home and put it on immediately and was particularly overjoyed if the liner notes were good and thick - full of pictures, lyrics and tons of other information.

ofer likes this.
  9. Boreas

Been listening to All Them Witches pretty consistently over the last couple of months. Band's from Nashville, TN. Great mix of rock (a stoner-rock vibe), blues and psychedelia. Here are two related numbers (the two most low-key tracks) from their début album Lightning at the Door (2013):

#3 "The Marriage of Coyote Woman"

#7 "The Death of Coyote Woman"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  10. Boreas

Damn, this is fantastic! Full concert of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses.

11. ofer

ofer Regular Member

Both The Pixies and Nirvana were among my favorite bands.
    If you're going Come On Pilgrim (which was more like a mini-album and was later included as an addition to their first LP, Surfer Rosa) then I'll have to pick The Holiday Song - 2 minutes of mayhem.

That's rich, especially in the 1990's. Going into a music store and having them say "We don't have Nevermind" is like going into a bookstore which specializes in fantasy/sci-fi today and hearing them say
    "A Game of Thrones? No, don't have it in stock. Maybe in a few weeks". :D

Boreas likes this.
  12. Boreas

I know, right? I didn't think it that strange at the time, but with a couple of decades of hindsight...yeah. They probably had a shipment in transit when I went in to buy. And I did end up getting Nevermind and Bleach some weeks later.

13. Boreas

Sketches of Spain is one of my all time favourite albums by Miles Davis where the music is composed and arranged by the excellent Gil Evans (they made a formidable team). The album was an interpretation of a previously existing classical, Spanish guitar composition (Concierto de Aranjuez). Here is a performance by trumpeter Orbert Davis, who does, what seems to me, a perfect rendition of "Solea" from the album. Just sublime.

14. Boreas

It was difficult for me to get on with Morrisey, but nobody can deny he came up with excellent lyrics (albeit angsty ones and that particular kind of emo that could really piss me off) and had stage presence. The Smiths have never occupied top spot on my radar even for short phases, but there were certain songs that were just fantastic. "How Soon Is Now?" from 1984's compilation album Hatful of Hollow is a classic and one I've listened to a gazillion times and still not gotten tired of. Would definitely include this as a contender for one of the greatest riffs of the 1980's.

Still nothing on Ian Curtis.

Live version

Studio version

15. Boreas

1992, the year I bought Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction...on CD! I remember bringing it back home and rushing to my room to my boombox (a new present with both cassette and CD player with record function! So exciting!).

I had gotten into Metallica's eponymous or the Black album through the older kids at my school when I was 11 and had already acquired Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets over the next year or so. I'd listened to Megadeth, too, but actually buying Countdown to Extinction was my real intro into the second of the core groups of the big four.

"Architecture of Aggression" was not an immediate favourite on the album for me. It wasn't as catchy as, say, "Symphony of Destruction" but it was one of those tracks that slowly crept up to the top, and now it endures as the best track off the album. I've always had this impression that metal is one of the most consistently subversive genres in popular music. Sure, there's punk, but punk always had a very James Dean thing going on - it didn't always know what to actually say in any cohesive way, just that it had to in as extroverted, raw and outrageous a manner as possible (despite the prevalence of more sophisticated bands - both musically and lyric-wise - like Bad Religion later on). Metal could be both more subtle and more scathing. I think Countdown to Extinction was an album that achieved a fantastic balance with just the right level of subversive quality (without getting preachy) together with great musicianship. And compared to their previous output, more radio-friendly, too.

"Architecture of Aggression"

"Symphony of Destruction" (amazing crowd and before the ubiquitous cell phones/cameras!)

The lower tone to this live version makes it sound more menacing

16. Boreas

This music video is pretty CPAF.

TomTB likes this.
  17. Boreas

Contemporary musical influences started to affect me through friends and general social life in school with the likes of Metallica and other heavy metal, but it was really the Seattle scene that came into prominence through Sub-pop that was my musical life-line during my early formative years. Before that, all the music I listened to was through my parents and esp. my father. This was everything from Otis Redding, Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Beatles, Patti Smith, Capercaillie, Led Zeppelin, Son House, Aretha Franklin, Fairport Convention, Ali Farka Toure, Johnny Cash, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Townes van Zandt, Simon & Garfunkel, Sex Pistols, Muddy Waters, Fairuz, Jacques Brel, Steppenwolf, Vaya Con Dios, The Monkees...you name it, my father probably listened to it. It was very varied. There was also classical (both western and Indian) and jazz, though I didn't really take to jazz until my early twenties.

There was one musician my father used to play very regularly and I really couldn't stand it. I hated the songs, the tone of it, the timber, the singing, how slow it was, how depressed it made me, and I used to disdainfully skip those albums over whenever I raided my father's collection. And yet, this poet/musician had a greater impact on my life during my twenties than just about any other musician I can think of. It took around 1.5 decades before my eyes/ears would be opened to such genius. And now, after all these years, he's the musician I most closely associate with my father. Here are three very famous and very intense, brilliant poems by Leonard Cohen:

18. Leuck

Leuck New Member

Seven Nation Army - White Stripes

19. Boreas

Over time, there's been a lot of bands and songs that I used to consider morning pick-me-up music. This, though, is one of the best, instantly pumping me up any time. Originally a psychedelic b-track by Tommy James & the Shondells, Johnny Thunder takes it up to a whole new level with his powerhouse voice. Not to be confused with Johnny Thunders of the New York Dolls.

20. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

That is stunning. Just listened on full volume 3 times! Keep posting these gems Boreas! :)