There Will Be Blood (2007) / Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Elvira, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

There Will Be Blood 2008
    Powerful and poignant film. This is not a sugarcoated story for those who enjoy uplifting characters with a moral finding by the end of it.
    What it depicts is brutal, ugly and very dark. The duel between the church and the entrepreneur is one the key points in my view. Both, Plainview and Eli pursue the same goal: power and money. And both seems unrepentant in their acts, neither of them truly needs anyone, nor feel compassion for those close to them.

I thought it was a grand film. However, the end left a bit deflated: “I’m finished” Plainview said. Maybe I was hoping for some redeeming action, some surprising turn beyond just giving up and drink himself to death.

Colossus: The Forbin Project. 1970
    This film really surprised me. Firstly, I had to get over the extremely dated special effects, the bouffant hairstyle and Mary Quant dresses. The 60s social conventions were slapping me in the face and clashing, in my opinion, with the SF setting of the story. Once I got over this hurdle, I enjoyed very much the premise.
    I thought it was very original and well executed.
    The whole episode of “I need a mistress in order to communicate with the exterior” really made me giggle. And the one about “Colossus demands we strip in its presence… “ while a glass of wine is strategically positioned to cover nudity was FANTASTIC.
    The ending surprised me gladly. I was expecting Forbin to save the world while drinking his Dry Martini. However, Colossus stole the show with its final line : "We can coexist, but only on my terms. You will say you will lose your freedom, freedom is an illusion. All you lose is the emotion of pride..." Forbin almost lost his smug smile then. Not quite though...

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm afraid I never got around to watching these this past weekend, but I'll be watching one of them tonight and will get back with my thoughts.

3. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

Very interesting theory on the duality of church and enterprise. I never noticed that.

I did notice that Eli is a true charlatan. He is using faith to achieve his means, knowing that these faithful are willing to walk into deaths arms and are generally unmoving in belief once you tell them what to believe. But in the end he is trampled by enterprise.

I thought the ending was brilliant, I was looking at the whole film as a sort of reverse redemption story, as plainview was clearly using the baby for his own ends near the beginning, a sales pitch weight. But almost seems to start caring in his own callous way. He joins the church just as an ends, but seems to almost embrace it, is he changed? Or is he better at his lies like going quail hunting. In the end the truth is revealed he never loved JW he was never faithful he needs noone, "he's finished" with both of them.

Or was he really was changed , but after slumping into alcoholism and depression over everything he's done. He suddenly changes back when confronted. "He can't be proven wrong now" everything people think about him must be true.

4. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

@Boreas and @TomTB have you watched the films...? Any comments?:)

5. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Not yet I'm afraid, sorry. Not finding much spare time for anything at the moment, even reading.