The Trilogy Meter

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Found this rating for some film trilogies. What do you think?

Trilogy Meter.jpg

Safari Bob likes this.
  2. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I think I agree with most of them.

But for Lord of the Rings, the second should be 100%. Also the first Alien should be 100%. And the second Indiana Jones should around 50%.

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

No bad... I agree with Kanly.
    Besides that, Rocky 1 should be 100% and the sequels were decent but kind of forgettable. All I remember is the Eye of the Tiger soundtrack that my crazy handball coach loved and played before big matches.

4. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

When a director sets out with a trilogy in mind, and paces the films so that the overarching story peaks near its conclusion, then the final film should be the strongest of a trilogy, or at least as strong as its precursors.

Unfortunately, most trilogies are purely born out of the success of the first offering, which rarely leads to a strong set of films.

5. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Star Wars - both I & II should be at 100%
    Indiana Jones - III should be 100%
    Jurassic Park - I should be higher, I still remember the absolute thrill of seeing it for the first time at the cinema.
    Godfather - III gets a bad rap, while it didn't have the same calibre acting as in the first two, the time it was set in and the focus of the story were still quite good. 70%
    Alien - I is 110%, II is 95%, III is 65%, III expanded version is 80% (although I like the birthing scene from the theatrical release more)

I also liked the one in Russia, where he does outdoors training and runs up some freaking mountain.

6. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I would also put Alien at 100%, but Aliens at 75%. Similarly I'd put Indiana Jones 2 and 3 much lower than Raiders. Wrath of Kahn should have a much, much higher rating, and Search for Spock lower.

The Rocky films are surprisingly even and rated about right.

Mad Max 1 should be higher. It is groundbreaking - better than any Peckinpaw film.

None of the X-Men films are very good, or memorable. They are the most amateur of the recent Marvel films.

For Superman, there is a real question which film is the true third in the trilogy, as Superman Returns was meant to do just that.