The most unique SF/F you've read?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

The first one that pops into my mind is China Miéville's The City and the City.

The idea of two cities coexisting side-by-side the way Miéville presents them is a mind bender. Two cities that are culturally completely different, including their judicial/legal status and how they are governed, yet they share the same topographical space. A particular street may belong to one city and an adjacent street to the other. Alternatively, a street/area may start out belonging to one and at some point switch to belonging to the other. The inhabitants of either city fastidiously try to 'unsee' the other for fear of committing 'breach', a surreal form of felony. Getting around to the idea of 'unseeing' took some effort in this hardboiled detective tale. And while the protagonist is an official detective, there is still a definite noir ambiance around the whole story. Before reading TCatC, I would have nominated Miéville's Perdido Street Station, which is full of weird goodness. But I think TCatC tops it in terms of uniqueness precisely for being set in our own reality (albeit in two fictional, eastern European cities), which makes this surreal rift between the closely linked cities even more pronounced than if it were set in an alternate fantasy world.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

For me it's the Commonwealth books by Peter Hamilton. No, that's not it. It's the Revelation Space series.

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

The Forge of God by G Bear. Why? Because Bear's story and its unsentimental style and characterization kept me hoping till the very end.
    Then, I think I have most probably read some other better books, but like many other things in life, it is about timing and when I picked The Forge of God, it impacted me strongly.