The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer

Discussion in '2015 Published Science Fiction Books - Your Rating' started by kenubrion, Jul 21, 2015.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

This very exciting and scary military sci-fi thriller is a debut effort by Jamie Sawyer that reads like something written by an accomplished author. Think Blood Song quality and similarity in being a first published work. The synopsis on the Amazon page:

"Mankind has spread to the stars, only to become locked in warfare with an insidious alien race. All that stands against the alien menace are the soldiers of the Simulant Operation Program, an elite military team remotely operating avatars in the most dangerous theatres of war.
    Captain Conrad Harris has died hundreds of times - running suicide missions in simulant bodies. Known as Lazarus, he is a man addicted to death. So when a secret research station deep in alien territory suddenly goes dark, there is no other man who could possibly lead a rescue mission.
    But Harris hasn't been trained for what he's about to find. And this time, he may not be coming back . . .
    Artefact is book one of The Lazarus War - an explosive new adventure series from one of the brightest new stars in science fiction."

Me again (I didn't do the bold, just happening. Must be haunted.) Just a can't-put-it-down thriller that has an Alien kind of vibe and scariness. The sequel is apparently written as well as a prequel novella although both are not yet available for pre-order.

9.5/10

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    btkong likes this.
  2. btkong

btkong Administrator Staff Member

Awesome, I'll have to add this to my list. I just wish they had an audiobook out!

3. kenubrion

I can't believe it's only got 9 reviews. But I felt the same about The Martian when I read it in 2012 and it had 17 reviews.

btkong likes this.
  4. btkong

Looks like you're an early adopter. You read The Martian way back then, wow!

5. kenubrion

I came back to add a note and saw you just posted, and yeah, my thing is trying out all the new stuff in sci-fi because the one jem in hundreds of the dross makes it worthwhile, and I'm reading another jem now, another debut called The Linesman by S. K. Dunstall, which I'll review when I'm done. Just fantastic.

6. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

7. kenubrion

8. btkong

Good stuff. I'm trying to combine that Indie list, so keep these recommendations coming. There is no way I can manage to sort through all the indie stuff myself