The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I watched Dark Angel (Dolph Lundgren) last night. Cheesy but a good time.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Saw Marvel's Dr. Strange (2016) which I rather enjoyed. Was never too familiar with this character and consequently found the visual adaptation to be fun. Pretty good, mindless entertainment.

Also saw The Raid 2 (2014), and this sequel to the 2011 film is very different. While the first film was a pure martial arts extravaganza where the skeleton framework of a plot was just an excuse for fight scenes, this second film is a proper gangster/crime narrative that moves a lot more slowly and steadily until it approaches its explosive climax. Enjoyed both films on their own terms, but neither is spectacular in any sense. The Raid 2 is very brutal, though, and not just for the fight scenes (although, that too).

I also really like his low budget 2007 film set in Mongolia, Diamond Dogs.

3. Safari Bob

I'll keep an eye out for it. I love cheesy sci-fi movies. I used to keep a blog about them for a while. I may need to revisit that.

I watched Big Jake (1971).

4. Boreas

Finally saw Marvel's Logan (2017), possibly the only 'superhero' film I was actually looking forward to. And yep, enjoyed it a lot despite little niggling annoyances towards the end. Less a superhero film, and much more character driven. It's the same reason why I thought Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) was one of the better Marvel films from the recent crop. Less emphasis on superhero antics (although there was a lot of action towards the end) and more on character and story. It felt more like a political thriller with a superhero veneer rather than the other way around. In this alternate future that the new Logan is set in, it's more a story of personal redemption than superhero antics. And it's proper R-rated, like I'd expect a true story about Logan to be rather than in the kid-friendly X-universe side of things.

Also saw the ultra cheesy but entertaining John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017). Such absurdity, but so much enjoyable shooting and killing.

Diamond Dogs is not a science fiction movie, though. It's just a standard adventure film. I really enjoyed it.

5. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I have just rewatched Memento by C Nolan. The first time was when it was released and I enjoyed very much this phycological-noir thriller.
    This second time round, I have loved it.
    This is the story of a guy who is unable to form short-term memories and he is searching for his wife killer. Great acting and extremely clever script.
    Highly recommended.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Boreas

I like all of Christopher Nolan's early movies. He channels Hitchcock very well in them. It's later on when he tries to emulate Kubrick that he comes up short. He should stick to the Hitchcock-styled psychological thrillers.

Also check out his first black and white film, Following. But I think my favourite of his films is the adaptation of The Prestige.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Culture_fan

Culture_fan New Member

Silent Hill: Revelations--made after the video game. As you can imagine, it's pretty meh, made for teens, but I was tired so it didn't matter.

Patterson--Jim Jarmusch film about a poet bus driver in New Jersey. Well told independent film.

8. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Started to watch Trainspotting 2 on Friday night but stopped after 15 mins, and watched Trainspotting instead. Great film .. forgot how amazing it was.

Watched Trainspotting 2 last night. A decent follow up with some great scenes. Just didn't have the raw power of the first one.

9. Safari Bob

I watched Iron Sky over the weekend. I am not ashamed. :)

Boreas likes this.
  10. Diziet Sma

I'll be watching it this weekend! I see it is a Finish-German-Australian comedy. I'm not very fond of neither Finish nor German humor but I'm happy to give it a go...

Safari Bob likes this.
  11. Safari Bob

Love it!

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  12. TomTB

Just watched Skyfall again. How can you not love James Bond?

Maybe it helps to be from the motherland...

13. Safari Bob

I watched Mclintock! last night:

Diziet Sma likes this.
  14. Diziet Sma

Are you implying you might share the same gene pool as Daniel Craig? I'm just a bit curious...:)

I’m enjoying at the moment season 4 of Vikings.

15. TomTB

Absolutely! There might be a passing resemblance ;)

I also have two hands, two ears, a nose and hair ...

Diziet Sma likes this.
  16. Safari Bob

I watch Constantine the other night.

17. Diziet Sma

Night Watch (2004) by Timur Bekmambetov. This film is based on the on the book by the same name and written by Sergei Lukyanenko.
    I read it a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it. Somehow, I forgot all about it and haven’t continued with the series. Today I have bought Day Watch (Watch#2)
    I found the film to be a very good adaptation of the novel. It was dynamic, entertaining and visually very clever. I personally find it very refreshing good foreign films, which, obviously don’t fit the more international, standard conventions such as their settings, pace, people’s background, names, physiognomy et al.
    Highly recommended for Urban Fantasy lovers who enjoy a quirky Je ne sais quoi…

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Kanly likes this.
  18. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Did you like it? I really enjoyed watching it even though I thought I wouldn't like it.

Safari Bob likes this.
  19. Safari Bob

I do like it. I thought Keanu did a pretty good job, overall, and Tilda was her weird, creepy self. I am not sure why people hate on it so much.

20. Safari Bob

I watched this last night: