The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'd be willing to watch The Browning Version yet again at some point in the near future. Albert Finney and Greta Scacchi give sublime and nuanced performances. Conveying a multitude of complex emotions through facial expressions, simple movements, tone modulation, etc. Really masterful.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Sí, I would like to!

Boreas likes this.
  3. Diziet Sma

Now, I'm off to watch Contact. Lovely evening to everyone still partying!

4. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

I just watched theatrical, and directors, now I'm like

!!!OMG THERE'S A FAN EDIT!!!

Boreas likes this.
  5. Bierschneeman

Also...nect movie club movie should be fan edit dune.

6. Boreas

Ha, yeah. I've had it for a while and have just been waiting for the right time and mood to watch it. But I'll want to watch it after the other two cuts. I wonder if it's a good idea to go directly to the fan edit of Dune for the next movie club selection. I mean, the film (in whichever iteration) is contentious amongst most people as it is, and who knows whether the fan edit really is better? Although, I'm going to give any fanatic so obsessed as to do this project the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, NOT director's cut. It's an extended cut and an Alan Smithee version.

Bierschneeman likes this.
  7. Bierschneeman

Huh, okay.

It might be a little longer, but they cut A LOT out and the narration voice over overlaps and blots out some of the dialogue. So it seems more like an alternate version rather than extended.

8. Boreas

Ah, I say extended because it's longer with added scenes, even if the male narration over still images is different compared to the narration by Irulan in the theatrical. It's not a director's cut because Lynch had nothing to do with how that longer edit turned out. Alan Smithee stepped in instead.

9. Bierschneeman

I didn't mean to sound countrary, that's what the huh was supposed signify. (Me realizing your truth.)

10. Bierschneeman

Side note, lynch was offered to direct return of the Jedi but chose dune instead.

What would you feel about that. Would Jedi be a better movie? Would dune fall into better or worse hands?

11. Boreas

I'm not too sure now. I can't remember if scenes were just added in the extended version or also cut out (aside from the introductory narration). Maybe it is an alternate cut, but I've been so used to simply calling it an extended cut.
    Nah, I think Return of the Jedi was fine as it was (although we could have done without the bloody Ewoks). I had no idea about it, but I'm glad Lynch didn't take up the Jedi project. Imagine the adventures of Luke & Co. but with Dennis Hopper as Vader, Kyle MacLachlan as Luke and Isabella Rossellini as Leia. Holy shit, I would have been scarred for life! Or, on second thought, I'd have liked to have seen what he would've done with those Ewoks. Could have been massively entertaining.

12. Diziet Sma

Poor Ewoks! Why everybody seems to hate them? I found their level of furriness, waddling style and squeaky dialogues extremely cuddly...

13. Bierschneeman

Ahh... The chipmunks movie and sequels are actually really good because of "AWWWS"!! argument.

14. Diziet Sma

Now, *rolling sleeves* I have been forced to watch three of these freaking chipmunks films. Yes! Three! Personally, I would have them BBQ.
    Ewoks, on the other hand, are elements of the landscape of a mysterious, adventurous and spiritual tale. They are indirectly part of the quest. They might not be utterly necessary to the plot, nor the brightest but they are solid, courageous, and irresistibly cuddly. :p

15. Bierschneeman

I literally see no difference between your argument for ewoks and someone else's argument for chipmunks.

16. bzipitidoo

bzipitidoo Full Member

Most recently saw Passengers and Hidden Figures. Both good films.

Hollywood of course can't resist hamming it up in Passengers. Can't have space based SF without space ships in imminent peril of destruction at some point. How many Star Trek episodes feature the ship battling or at the mercy of hostile aliens, or suffering a malfunction that if not fixed real soon will destroy the ship, or they activate the self-destruct countdown, or.... More than half, isn't it?

17. Boreas

I saw the trailer for it before it was released, and I was totally turned off by it. Can't pin it down to exactly one major reason, but it looked a little too clean, I didn't like the ship design, I thought it would be a generic generation ship story with romance, and I don't particularly like either the actor or actress. I'm sure there must be one or two twists in the story, but the trailer didn't do anything to tempt me.

18. Bierschneeman

Researching star trek 5 for the first time in a decade.

I remember hating it less. It does have a few good moments , lots of in jokes and commentary on things not working in the original series set. But you have to be very familiar with the behind the scenes on the show to find this funny, or just not stupid.

This movie really was a giant ego stroke for Shatner (director, and trying to make himself main character in this movie). It has pointless dialogue making sure we know how important his random thoughts are "I miss my old chair". He is given more lines then all his costars combined. (Or it seems that way)

Everything that isn't trying to make a martial aid for Shatner, is laced with horrible ego boasts for everyone else, and absolute silliness. (Three breasted chick, uhuras fan dance, Chekhov as captain, Sulu s impossible driving skills at cetera) lots of jokes that I can see Shatner thinking are the the best knee slapped things ever,. They all groan. Badly. (Did Scotty just turn around and go unconscious?)

Oh and stuff. Special effects are somehow worse than the original series. But its okay because they added random stuff. And zoom in everytime like its (hey look at that, aint it neat?) Push a button chair folds out (hold camera on chair because it distracts you from bad dialogue), sooo futuristic, nothing like that existed in the 80s, certainly not such easily accessible locations as RVs, and jump seats on airplanes. Let's open panels, release safety nets try rocket boots. STUFF STUFF STUFF

truly this is the worst star trek movie. The other bad ones at least have something going for them, this one can't even get the music and sound effects right.

PS I stole the stuff joke from a waterworld review.

19. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

I think Gene Roddenbury himself said that ST5 was apocryphal. We can essentially ignore it. There was nothing good about that movie. I actually read the book in the hope of finding something to like. The plot made more sense in the book. Sybok had been working for decades with the entity on a shield modification so they could travel to the planet to find it. It made no sense on-screen when they just go through the energy field and nobody had thought to bother before. The Klingons scanned the shield frequency and followed them in. That part I liked, it actually forced some sense into it.
    I actually quite like 'Passengers.' It had a very 'Wall-E' sense to it. I liked that essentially the guy was ordinary, he did a very human thing, not a good, moral or correct thing and the consequences were played out. In the end, there was a sense of balance for his action but still, they never tried to elevate him to the level of heroic or excuse what he did. I liked that. It wasn't a classic but it was watchable and better than I thought.

20. Boreas

I just saw Alex Garland's Ex Machina (2015). While all the hype for Arrival was unwarranted and it turned out to be a mediocre film, at best, Ex Machina fulfills its hype. Great film, well plotted and acted, and best of all...smooth, unobtrusive expository dialogue - a near perfect balance between necessary explanation and forward momentum. Absolutely no cheese factor, and no prolonged, hackneyed sentimental scenes like in Arrival, either. 4.5/5.

I didn't realise that it had the same super cute Swedish girl from The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (the remake). But the asshole billionaire outshone them all.