The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Saw two films recently: a cheesy horror-comedy called Piranah 3D (2010) and a wonderfully cute children's animated feature called How to Train Your Dragon (2010).

2. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

After watching Rogue one, I'm getting the Mrs up to date on Star Wars. She liked the originals, especially the Ewoks (sigh) and was interested in the prequels. Last night we watched the Phantom Menace. I got the 'no cheese' edit for her. A lot of material was taken out, Jar Jar was re-edited with a new voice and his antics were removed, for instance. It actually all felt a bit cursory and souless without all that nonsense. We'll go back to regular version for the next two.

3. Boreas

I watched half of Jupiter Ascending last night. I was warned it was cheesy, but I think I was perversely enjoying bits of it for the space opera spectacle that it is. Will reserve judgement till I can finish watching the second half. I know it gets a lot of hate, and I can understand why. Acting of the principle characters is terrible, and the script is full of holes. But this is the first proper space opera film that I've come across in a long time. That is, until Luc Besson releases his adaptation of the comic Valérian and Laureline this year. And that should be pretty spectacular (fingers crossed).

4. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Arrival

Watched it last night. I feel terrible saying that I found it utterly boring. It gets such good reviews, and I get why, but it did absolutely nothing for me. Anyone else seen it?

5. Boreas

I'll likely watch it in the near future. Yeah, I heard about all the official praise lavished on it, but I've been somewhat suspicious of all the acclaim.

On a side note, I saw a trailer for a different science fiction feature a while back, and it completely turned me off the movie. It's called Passengers. Have you seen/heard of it? I was so thoroughly turned off by what I thought was a cheesy application of an already standard SF cliche (not that cliches are inherently bad) that I'm not going to intentionally seek the movie out.

6. TomTB

I think there was a trailer for this when I saw Rogue One. Is it the one where a couple of people get pulled out of stasis and their ship is out of control and heading into a sun/star/planet (or something similar)?

If so then yes, it's one I'm thinking of watching soon. I may give it a go at the weekend. I used to watch a film at least every weekend, but got out of the habit ..

7. Boreas

Right, that's the one. Will look forward to your opinion.

8. Boreas

Saw two movies:

The Purge (2013) by James DeMonaco. A dystopian, horror thriller with plenty of plot holes but a few good action sequences as the film builds to a climax. Lena Headey's talents were wasted in this slightly absurd and skip-worthy film.

Snowpiercer (2013) by Bong Joon-ho. A post-apocalyptic extravaganza that was just freaking excellent! Relentless forward momentum, fantastic sets & action, and stellar performances by Chris Evans (the current Captain America), Tilda Swinton and Ed Harris. Tilda Swinton was particularly brilliant in her supporting role. Absolutely recommend this film for its tense plot, slanted depiction of 70's era trickle-down economics, extreme class stratification, brilliant fights, and an unkillable Russian (well, in my mind he's Russian). There is one intense scene that almost rivals the opening fight sequence from Scorsese's The Gangs of New York (2002) with "The Butcher" (Daniel Day-Lewis). This is a film I'll watch again and it gets an A- from me. Absolutely one of the most enjoyable recent science fiction films I've seen.

TomTB likes this.
  9. TomTB

I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night. Really enjoyed it ... quite gory at times but if you don't mind that it's well worth the watch. It's got Elrond from LoTR in it too ... his ears have shrunk.

10. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I've got to see this!

11. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

The virus from matrix?. The cross dresser from Priscilla queen of the desert?.

12. Diziet Sma

13. Boreas

Yes, it was one of the films amongst a whole bunch I saw recently. I think it's worth seeing once. Maybe twice to see if you missed something the first time. I don't think it deserves all the accolades it's received. People keep saying, "finally, a smart SF film," as if there have been no previous smart SF films. After having watched it, I think people were calling it "smart" more for the premise than the execution of it, which left a lot to be desired in terms of plot and script. But it's a beautifully shot film, I'll give them that.

I have more things to get off my chest about this film. Will do so later.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  14. TomTB

I thought it was awful. Thoroughly boring and a huge disappointment. Great special effects, and granted, something awesome might've happened in the bit I fell asleep through, but all in all, a big thumbs down from me.

Boreas likes this.
  15. Diziet Sma

Ha! Great rec!;)
    Unless the lingusitic premise offers some real interest. I don't think I will bother with it...

16. Boreas

Some of the films I've seen recently.

Arrival (2016), fair premise, excellent effects & minimal aesthetics, faulty execution, overly sentimental, initially gave this a B-, but as I've thought on it more, it just deserves a C-
    The Girl with all the Gifts (2016), just phenomenal acting from the little girl, it's just another variation on the same point Richard Matheson's brilliant novella I Am Legend makes, C+
    Star Wars: Rogue One (2016), better than Star Wars: The Force Awakens, weak plot, flat characters, excellent 30 minute action extravaganza at the end, C-
    The Raid: Redemption (2011), pure action film with simple premise, just for the martial arts action it's a B

Re-watches:

Tropa de Elite (2007), third time watching it in ten years and this crime drama/thriller on corruption, gangs and police in Rio de Janeiro is almost as impressive as the first time, A+
    Hobo with a Shotgun (2011), one of the most perverse, dystopian exploitation films ever, so over-the-top that it's funny which I suppose is the point, B+
    Prometheus (2012), a friend hadn't seen it and wanted to, and I thought re-watching it after I've cooled down since seeing it at the cinema might make me think it better, nope, F
    Oblivion (2013), liked it better the second time, great effects, great cinematography, good premise, but still a weakly plotted ending with holes, C
    Contact (1997), now this is how you do an intelligent, proper first contact film, eat your heart out Arrival, A-
    Ghost in the Shell (1995), saw it twice, first on my own, then again with a friend a week later, I bought the original VHS at 16, still love it, a seminal & cyberpunk defining film, A-
    The Browning Version (1994), one of my favourite dramas, a remake of the great 1951 film but even better, one negligible point - not a flaw exactly but not up to par with the excellence of everything else, character acting at its finest from two actors who truly deserve the appellation in an age of mediocrity, A++

17. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

I'm still slugging through the Ralph bakshi marathon, hey good looking is a hard one to watch, I plan on cool world tonight and that finishes it.

We are also still marathoning all our 80s movies, so meaning of life, and the best Dune movie (braces for impact from the hate) also if you watched the dialogue on another thread you'll know what inspired me to decide to rewatch perfect blue last night, millennium actress this afternoon, and paprika tonight. I love that director and I just really felt the mood.

Nothing new. Or new to me.

18. Diziet Sma

I have only watched a couple of these movies. I hardly watch any TV nowadays. I don't think I have the patience I used to have when I was younger.
    Prometheus bored me. I found the plot uninteresting and with many holes. The acting was uninspiring.
    I love Contact, in fact I was planning to watch it tonight.
    The rest I haven't watched it I have taken note of a couple of tittles.

19. Boreas

I love Lynch's Dune! I consider it a completely separate beast from the book, though. At some point, I'll have to re-watch it three times during the same week - the theatrical release, the extended cut, and the fan edit. I've not seen the fan edit yet, although I downloaded it two years ago. I prefer the extended cut, although I like the initial narration by Princess Irulan from the theatrical cut.

20. Boreas

It's a shit film in every respect but two - the special effects and Michael Fassbender's role. Worst plot ever.