The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I've completely gone off going out to the cinema, but watch movies at home now. Most recent one: The Rocky Horror Picture Show for about the 50th time.

I've got my eye on this one though. Indie comedy/horror

2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I watched The Martian at the weekend, and thought it was unbelievably fantastically awesome! One of the best books I've read admirably translated into one of the best films I've seen. Bravo!

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I saw an unexpectedly good science fiction film two nights ago. Kill Command (2016) by Steven Gomez. I've neither seen it advertised anywhere nor mentioned in any other groups or forums. I came across it by chance and the brief description of the simultaneously standard and unique premise hooked me, because I was in an action mood and hoping for lots of it. Basically, a group of marines go off for a military training exercise and get more than they bargained for. They're testing out hardware developed by a super-advanced weapons corp. and are saddled with a company, civilian observer.

The story is constrained in its setting and very limited in scope, and that's probably a large reason for why it's so successful. And it's about as near future as you can get, so the type of science fiction that's being presented here is quite 'hard' and very, very plausible. I'm not going to say what it is for fear of spoiling the movie. The camera work is beautiful, excellent shots and fantastic use of lighting. Even the special effects are amazing (both the practical and CGI aspects). The set and hardware designs are top notch. I just don't understand how a small film like this managed to make itself look like it came out of $50+ million Hollywood budget. Make sure to watch this film in HD quality. Minimal or I should say lean acting, no 'fat' anywhere. The nature of the plot doesn't depend on it, yet it's not only adequate but fairly convincing, and Vanessa Kirby does especially well as the transhuman civilian. IMDB has this film scored at 5.7/10. I'm giving this film a solid B+ score for all the elements I've mentioned, and especially for being an original, non-flashy science fiction feature that really is 100% actual science fiction.

4. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

I've got a classic movie lined up tonight after the classic conversation which never goes down well with the current Mrs. I was talking about Ghsotbusters and just how unbelievably great that movie was. Did she remember when we watched it that time, etc? Her eyes narrowed until she finally growled, 'That wasn't me.'
    Ooops, but on the plus side, I get to watch Ghostbuster again, I don't even remember how many times this will be but Bill Murray movies are timeless, so who cares?

TomTB and Boreas like this.
  5. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I'm about due to see Ghostbusters (the original) again soon. Thanks for reminding me! So what was the classic film?

Jack Brewhouse likes this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Oh! School boy error…
    I like Groundhog Day, a fun adaptation of eternal recurrence…

7. Boreas

Might be a good idea to drop the 'current' too!

TomTB and Jack Brewhouse like this.
  8. Jack Brewhouse

I'm always looking for a 'future ex-'

Boreas likes this.
  9. Jack Brewhouse

Ghostbuster is the ultimate classic movie. Every time I watch it, I see something else. This time, when Venkman is back in Dana's apartment for the first time, he's using a device with a hand pump. I realised it's an electric 12v tyre pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter of a car.

10. Boreas

I'm sure that could be a basis for a TV mini series.

11. TomTB

I actually used that line in my wedding speech. Classy!

12. TomTB

What are your feelings on GB2? I personally feel it's a massively underrated sequel.

You know, like Aliens is clearly better than Alien. Do one, purists.

13. Jack Brewhouse

I once had a girlfriend who said to me, 'I want to get married.' I looked at her and said, 'I hope you meet somebody nice.' She was not impressed. Actually I've shattered my record, I normally only last about 3 years but we're around the 4 year mark now and have a son. Looks like I'm stuck now and I have no problem with that.

Ghostbusters 2... I think it had some brilliant, excellent ideas. My only gripe with it is that it tried to stick too close to the formula of the first, they had the chaos scene with ghosts over-running the city and the finale with the giant walking thing. Otherwise, in general, I think the two movies stand up very well together.

14. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Yesterday I watched with my daughter Galaxy Quest. I think it is the 3rd time I have watched it (her first though) and, oh we giggled! Alan Rickman and Tim Allen are gloriously funny. If I could keep a pet at home, it would definitely be a Thermian…

15. Boreas

I tried watching Neil Blomkap's Chappie (2015) and was so put out by Chappie's portrayal that I couldn't continue. Just such a stupid execution in all respects. So, that makes two strikes against Blomkamp now: Elysium I didn't much like (aside from Sharlto Copley's performance) and Chappie I stopped watching. I think I do want to give District 9 a go, but I'm getting more sceptical.

When I heard Blomkamp wanted to do an Alien franchise movie, I was hoping that they would do it right. But after having watched one and a half of his films, I'm just NOT optimistic about it any more and want him to stay the Hell away from this franchise.

16. Jack Brewhouse

I like Neil Blomkamp although I will admit that Chappie was a bit silly and wasn't at all what I had expected. Last night I saw 'The Game' from 1999. Not bad but it was a little bit predictable but that was because it was a good idea that other movies have copied since. I saw Star Trek - Beyond this weekend. It was not a Star Trek film, despite liking Simon Peg, his claims that it was going to be more traditional Trek fell completely flat. It was an action movie and nothing more.

17. Boreas

I've given up on the new Star Trek films actually resembling anything of the ethos that Star Trek is founded upon, but I want to see the special effects and this new orbital, so I'll check out the film. Also because it is not Jar Jar Abrams directing.

Chappie was insanely silly, and worse still because it seemed to me that it was intended to be a more serious treatment of artificial intelligence underneath the stupid gangster swagger. But the portrayal of the genesis of AI was cheap, and how Blomkamp anthropomorphised the AI in a humanoid chassis was so damn juvenile that it made the whole experience even tackier. I just couldn't take it. All the side characters were crap, too. Hugh Jackman was the most one-dimensional villain, but I liked him most of all. I was watching it with a friend who'd already seen it when it first came out and after I said I couldn't watch any more, we just skipped all the way to the end to the major, very predictable fight scene. My favourite part of the whole film was when Jackman's robot (very much like the corporate enforcer prototype in Robocop but more advanced)
    tears the American in half.
    Brilliantly, gruesomely funny that was, and the most unexpected element out of everything I'd seen in the movie.

18. Jack Brewhouse

I found the South African gangster take to be jarring but after a while I was just glad it wasn't another American Hollywood movie. With that in mind, the ending seemed to happy, too settled when there seemed to be room for a smarter way to finish the story. I would still give District 9 a try. It's very good.

The Trek special effects aren't great and it all gets a bit tedious by the end. It's not 'Star Trek,' it's a movie based on it, if you can watch them with that in mind then they're ok. They're guilty pleasures, the production values are good, there's a little more depth to them than you'd expect and sometimes they're entertaining too. To be absolutely fair (in my opinion) Trek only works on TV. None of the movies were particularly good, although some were particularly bad.
    I'd love to recommend a movie but lately, it's almost impossible to find something worth watching.

19. Jack Brewhouse

I just watched 'Independence Day - Resurgence.' It was incredibly formulaic, sticking almost exactly to the plot of the original with just barely enough twists and new wrinkles to make it just about bearable. There was some very weak acting performances with one in particular who was just one notch above a plank of wood with a face drawn on it. The special effects were well done with the in-space scenes being among the best I've seen recently, none of the cartoon CGI you normally get, it seemed a cut above most. Still, it was nothing special, just a movie you can watch once as background filler, nothing more.

20. Boreas

I just watched John Carter (2012) by Andrew Stanton last night. I've never read any Edgar Rice Burroughs and I remember thinking the trailer I saw for this film to be unappealing. Later, I heard a lot of people trashing the film. Well, I ended up quite liking it. It was just a pure, adventurous romp. I liked the adventurous premise of it so much, that I've gotten myself the initial few Barsoom books by Burroughs from the Gutenberg site.

Also, this was my introduction to Lynn Collins who played Dejah Thoris and I loved her! I can't believe they haven't cast her as Wonder Woman! She has the look, the poise, the strength and the necessary femininity. Above all, she has a sort of regal elegance that makes me believe she could be a princess. The women they've chosen to play WW for the DC films is undoubtedly beautiful with her model looks and frame, but she seems more like just an athlete and warrior type without much variance in her expressions. There's no suppleness about her features which Collins seems to have in spades. In my mind now, Lynn Collins is Wonder Woman. And when I read the Barsoom novels, I'm going to be seeing Collins' face when I come across Dejah Thoris.

Anyway, not a film with which to expect a great plot, thoughtful dialogue or extended character development. But if you want a fun romp, then I think this film works. Just...what a bland name. Why couldn't they keep the original title like A Princess of Mars or John Carter of Mars?