The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

This week end I have been watching Penny Dreadful Series. After the 3rd episode, I can say it has grown on me and I’m having fun. It is a gothic tortilla, set in Victorian London, with a myriad of real and fictional characters such as Dorian Gray, Viktor Frankenstein, Mary Shelly, Dracula, mediums, a couple of werewolves thrown into the mix...
    I have also started watching The Bridge, a Danish/Swedish crime series. It is early days but it looks very promising.

2. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

The last movie I watched, on AmazonPrime, was "Room," for which Brie Larson won an Oscar this year. It was okay, not great, her performance was good, but there was one major thing about it that didn't make sense.

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

The Martian a couple months ago. My wife wanted to watch it so we rented it from cable. It was worth it but my concern about Matt Damon being miscast as jokester Mark was borne out upon seeing it.

4. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

From Dusk Till Dawn. My other half wanted to watch it again so I got it for her and we watched it last night. I've seen it many (too many) times before and wasn't really up for seeing it again but as soon as it started, it drew me in. It's such a great film, never takes itself at all seriously and is fun all the way through. I recently saw 'The Lobster'. I like weird clever movies that make a point but that one was a complete misfire. It was nicely made, it just didn't end up working.

Boreas likes this.
  5. Jack Brewhouse

If you like comic-books, check out 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' by Alan Moore. I actually don't know how Penny Dreadful got away with it, it's a direct copy of the ideas in this book. Pretty much all of Alan Moore's books are awesome. 'From Hell' is my favourite.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I saw two action movies recently. One that was fun and the other total dreck.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) was great and I really, unexpectedly enjoyed it. I didn't even realise it was a Guy Ritchie film until the credits started rolling. I've never seen the original series, so I went into this remake film tabula rasa with just a vague idea that it's to do with spies. It was necessarily more mainstream compared to Ritchie's Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch but still had some of his trademark touches and humour. Fun action, some good dialogue with one particular line that had me in splits, slight romantic tension and overall just quite a dapper feel to it. And typical of Ritchie's films, a good soundtrack. I'm now more interested in checking out the series.

American Ultra (2015) was total, utter shit. There were two or three slightly amusing scenes, but it was a complete caricature of a film. Felt like they lifted the plot off some really, really bad comic book. I'm waiting for the brain neurons holding the memory of the film to die off.

I'm a huge Alan Moore fan since I first read his stint on Swamp Thing, but TLoWG is the only work that I wasn't enamoured by and gave up reading after the first story arc. I love just about everything else he's done with From Hell and Miracleman probably being my favourites.

7. Jack Brewhouse

Alan Moore is one of my favourite writers. Check out DR and Quinch. It probably hasn't aged well but it was a damn fine comedy sci-fi in its day. If you can't find it, I think I have a scan on my hard drive somewhere. I really liked Watchmen. Just a brilliant work. I liked the movie but they changed the end. The movie ending did make more sense but still, I preferred the original. Otherwise it was a great adaptation, really honest and faithful to the source.
    I wasn't a fan of LOEG either but I loved the concept, a kind of Victorian era 'Avengers'. I had the collected work and he had written some material in a older style, he's a very talented writer and pulled it off well.

I saw the original Man From Uncle series, it's not great. The film was totally different and far better. DId you know Guy Ritchie also made the most recent Sherlock Holmes movies? They were actually pretty good.

8. Jack Brewhouse

PS, if you liked the Man From Uncle, check out 'Kingsman.'

9. Boreas

Same, and read DR and Quinch. I've had his novel Voice of the Fire for ages now, but I've always put it off for some inexplicable reason.
    I saw it sometime back. Enjoyed it, but I liked The Man from U.N.C.U.L.E. more. Colin Firth definitely added a debonair feel to Kingsman and that church scene was brilliantly, psychotically, gloriously violent (whenever "Freebird" comes on, you know it's going to be bloody epic), but I still preferred TMfU; it was more stylish and well-rounded as a film.

10. Jack Brewhouse

Colin Firth seemed an odd choice but he did a bang up job, I was disappointed that he won't be in the sequel, I don't think te young lead is going to be up to carrying it off on his own. I think Kingsman was actually closer to the series that TMFU movie was. I guess we can't have this conversation with asking what you thought of the latest few Bond films.

11. Boreas

I watched Batman vs. Superman. Screw Zack Snyder. The only bits I enjoyed were with Wonder Woman. Love that Amazonian theme. Some of the Batman fight scenes were decent. This mish-mash of story lines from the original comics is clunky and awkward as hell. I didn't like it with Christopher Nolan's Batman films either, but after seeing this film, I have to admit he did a much better job of fusing disparate, original stories for the screen than what Snyder's given us. And this guy playing Lex Luther was beyond bad. Not an ounce of real villainy, cunning and gravitas that Luther is known for. More like a psycho-teenager with daddy issues. I'll give it a D.

12. Diziet Sma

I think you are being too kind... more like a E...
    Last evening I watched The Legend of Tarzan. It was a mix of Noah's Ark, Spiderman with reference to Kunta Kinte... If you can ignore all that, it is not too bad as visually is clever and pretty (intellectually as stupid as it can get though) As far as Tarzan and Jane are concerned, they are two Top models jumping from tree to tree without saying much. Well, they don't need to: far too gorgeous...

I have also watched, following the super good reviews, Stranger Things. I enjoyed it but no way I would get as far as labelling it a master piece. Often cliché: the bad guys are really bad and true friends will overcome every hurdle along the way not matter what. I liked Wynona Ryder and in overall I found it visually very good.

13. Boreas

Ah, you saw it? I'm surprised. As for my not giving it a solid fail: I liked some of the action sequences. Batman's movements were very much like how it would feel in a comic book, so that was nice. And unlike Marvel's stupidly bad Deadpool which had no decent plot (that origin story was absolutely inane) and tried to coast only on elements such as style and low-brow humour, BvS actually had a a somewhat okay-ish plot, albeit a Frankensteinesque mish-mash of a story that got a little preachy and was really stretched out.
    I have so little interest in watching this.
    I've also heard this is very good. Never heard it called a masterpiece, though. The frequency with which superlatives are used these days makes me discount such descriptions.

14. Jack Brewhouse

There's not much worth watching at the moment. I went to see the new Star Trek recently. I heard that it was meant to get back to the roots of Star Trek but it seems I heard wrong. It was just awful, all style and no substance. The story really made no sense and really wasn't a story. I guess Star Trek really is dead.

15. Diziet Sma

I'm watching Luther series one in BBC. I'm liking it!

16. Jack Brewhouse

I liked all of Luther, although the last season felt a bit tacked-on. I think Edris Elba is a bit of a wasted talent taking crappy roles like his character in Thor and the villain in Star Trek Beyond. He's got an impressive screen presence but comes off a little too likeable to really play an effective villain. He's perfect in Luther.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  17. Diziet Sma

I discovered Idris Elba,Luther, when he played Sringer Bell in The Wire. For me the best series ever...

18. Jack Brewhouse

I've heard so many good things about 'The Wire' but I just don't like police-drama. Mind you, I don't like fantasy but I really enjoyed Game of Thrones. I hated the arguments about whether or not Edris Elba should play James Bond. My personal favourite idea for James Bond, (not my own) would be to take it right back to the 50s and make it a period piece. I think that would be amazing. But if they kept it up and kept Bond as a contemporary character then why not expand the universe to include other agents. Some people might not want a black Bond but I'm 100% sure they'd go and see a movie with Elba playing another agent in the same universe. Why not a female agent too with a single story arc crossing all the various agents, each one having their own unique abilities and limitations?
    It's a shame Hollywood thinks so small.

19. Diziet Sma

Well, for me there is police drama and then there is The Wire. In a way, it marked a before and an after as far as watching series is concerned. The reviews are great because is simply a fantastic series. Obviously, this is my very personal view…
    Regarding Elba playing Bond, I think they missed a golden chance. I’m not a Bond girl fan, however, I would have watched Elba playing 007 without hesitation. Mind you, if Elba played Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh, I would watch him too…:)

20. Jack Brewhouse

I'm not a huge fan of James Bond, you kind of grow out of that. I preferred the original Jason Bourne series, I hear the new film is awful. I think Elba would have fitted better into that universe, it was more gritty and he seems a more down to earth guy. I think Bond is played out, done to death, I reckon.
    I might give the Wire a look. I'm hunting round for something to watch.