The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I just saw the film Edge of Tomorrow (2014) last evening. Holy crap, it was really enjoyable. I'm always dissatisfied with most movies Tom Cruise is in, but I liked this one from the very first scene. Loved seeing Bill Paxton on screen again, too. Anybody else have an opinion on this movie? For it's combination of action and humour + succinct storyline, it's a B+/A- for me.

I've now bought the book it's based on.

2. ofer

ofer Regular Member

@Boreas pretty much like you- B+. Cool movie, good acting (Cruise has both awesome and shitty cliche movies so I'm kind of conflicted about him) and a good idea. Movie was a bit too long though - not tight enough.

I recently tried to watch the award-winning District 9 (2009, South Africa) but gave up after about 15-20 minutes - both because I hate the style (mocumentary) and because the South African accented English got on my nerves (yeah, I know it's shallow but it really did). Wonder if anyone else saw it? It won all those awards...did I miss out on something?

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I hated District 9 with a passion, don't care how many people thought it was great.
    Yikes, was it really that long ago I watched it?
    It's nice that District 9 had a message and all, too bad it was so contrived and ham-fisted that I never really cared about the aliens, or the humans. And I'm done with the whole jittery camera thing. It's been done to death, looks cheap, and when paired with silly dialogue and actors who try too hard to be *real*, it just makes my head swim. Besides which, any alien species that makes it here from goodness knows how many light years away, would have no trouble taking the planet from us apelike creatures.

Don't get me going on Interstellar either. That movie received rave reviews and I almost turned it off before the ending. Is Hard SF dead?!

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I have watched it and sat through the whole thing as I was told I was going to love it. Mmmmm, not-the-case. I found it flat, predictable and a complete bore. On top of that, the main male character was incredibly annoying.
    Spoiler...

In fact, I liked him far more once he metamorphosed in to a mute, dumber cucaracha...

5. Diziet Sma

I have no doubt I'm really behind as far as, new and not so new releases, are concerned. As I hardly ever watch telly, I get really excited when I watch something that I think is Ok. The Walking Dead, season 1, episode 1. Looking forward to episode 2!

6. Boreas

I've not seen District 9, but I heard so many good things about it. So, it's disappointing to find that it wasn't received well by you guys. I saw the same director's other movie Elysium, and I didn't particularly like that, although I did enjoy Copley's performance. I've been hoping that District 9 would be better. Will see how I find it...

7. Sparrow

I thought of the two, Elysium was the more entertaining... but no less farfetched than District 9. Elysium at least works on a more visceral level. I will say though, I thought the aliens in District 9, both visually and anatomically, were well done and believable. It was their contrived social hierarchy that I couldn't accept.

8. David Bridger

David Bridger Full Member

I'm housebound with a chronic illness so very rarely get to the cinema, which hurts because I used to love going so much. These days I watch DVDs on my Mac after the rest of the family's gone to bed.

Didn't watch any in May because I've been recovering from eye surgery.

In April I watched The Martian, which I enjoyed despite having read the book a while back and which I look forward to seeing again, and Blade Runner, which is my favourite film of all time. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it, and it never loses its power. Love it! :)

9. Boreas

I just saw Interstellar. What. The. Actual. Fuck. I am so mad right now, I can't even organise my thoughts coherently to say all that I want to.

Beautiful score, lovely visuals, a few great scenes....but that ending almost completely negated any previous enjoyment I was experiencing. I've said I like metaphysical themes, but in a hard SF context it still has to make sense. Nolan completely lost the bloody plot. Give up your Kubrick-like delusions of grandeur ol' son and stick to what you actually do well - psychological thrillers a la Hitchcock. Your attempt to usurp the Kubrick mantle has fallen flat.

I'm disappointed. If not as much as when I saw Ridley Scott's Prometheus, then still very close.

TomTB likes this.
  10. Boreas

I saw The Grey. A film that had potential but ended up being terribly cheesy. It had been described to me as a fantastic man vs nature film, and whilst I certainly liked the premise, I found so many things about the film unconvincing. The person whom I saw the film with said it was somehow 'poetic'. The only thing 'poetic' about any of it was the mauling and subsequent death of each annoying character, incidents I cheered on. I like to think that Liam Neeson dies horribly at the end. I enjoyed this film about as much as Deadpool and it, too, barely escapes a fail with a D- because I was looking forward to those maulings. But honestly, I'd give both Deadpool and The Grey big fat Fs.

11. Diziet Sma

Uy! I remember attempting watching The Grey. I failed miserably.... I just don't like L Neelson. He bores me, and considering my bias towards anything fury and toothy, well the film was doomed in my eyes.

12. Boreas

I remember watching Rob Roy for the first time and thinking Neeson a good actor. Nowadays, all he puts out are these inane action flicks. It's sorta embarrassing.

13. Diziet Sma

Last night I watched The life of Others. A German film set on the former DDR. A member of the Stasi set to surveillance an artist. Gripping!

14. Sparrow

The Peanuts Movie.

Very disappointing, it was a mashup of old stuff, like a trip down memory lane instead of a real story.
    As a kid I enjoyed the comic strip for it's subtle humor, as an adult I appreciated Charlie Brown and his friends for the humanism. They had such a great opportunity to do something different and take some risks.

15. Boreas

I saw two movies this weekend, both of which I enjoyed.

Hardcore Henry. I've been waiting to see this film since last year (I thought it was going to be titled simply Hardcore, but they changed it). It's basically a science fiction first-person shooter game, but told as a film. Will obviously appeal to gamers (I'm actually not one, though I've enjoyed playing some first person shooters like Duke Nuke'em and Unreal Tournament and Counterstrike in the past). This is action packed from the get go. Sharlto Copley is excellent, and the nature of the [admittedly] thin story allows him to play multiple roles, all of which he does with panache. I've only seen him twice now, first in Elysium and now in this film. Definitely like him a lot. Be warned: the whole film is in first person perspective, so there is jittery camera. The violence is over-the-top, cartoonish and just super fun, though the fight scene at the end does go for a bit longer than I'd have preferred. Top marks for action and stunts.

The Hateful Eight. I knew it was a Tarantino's latest and that it had Kurt Russell in it, and I was marginally aware that it was a western. Tarantino is a mixed bag for me. I think his earlier movies like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were excellent. Then he went the parody and exploitation way with Kill Bill and beyond, and these have been fun, but nothing substantive like his earlier flicks. The Hateful Eight is another exploitation feature with a western theme, but a lot smaller in scope than the last few he's done. And I liked it. It's over-the-top, like most things Tarantino, but not as much as the blackploitation Django Unchained or the alternative history Inglorious Basterds. I liked the set-up, the dialogue, the freakishly grim humour. Jennifer Jason Leigh was bloody brilliant.

Great movie.
    I didn't know there were new films being made. Always loved Peanuts and used to adore those old Charlie Brown animated movies. We had had quite a few of them on VHS at our house. I remember three favourites that I watched so many times: Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown, when they go off to camp (Snoopy's on his Harley) and have a river raft race; Snoopy Come Home, when Snoopy and Woodstock go off in search of Snoopy's old owner and they keep encountering discrimination ("no dogs allowed"); and a third one that I think was a Christmas Special (can't remember the title) when they whole gang is on a trip in France (it was a little gloomy in both the tone of the story and the visuals).

16. Sparrow

That was my feelings on Interstellar... that silly ending, that silly-silly-silly ending!
    Part of what makes 2001: A Space Odyssey so memorable is that while it's metaphysical and deep, is that the metaphysical bitter sweet ending makes sense. The alien presence in 2001 is remote and incomprehensible, they've put down breadcrumbs for us to follow, but that's it. Also, though it's in outer space with a misbehaving Artificial Intelligence, a mysterious perhaps long dead alien species, it's still a very human story. The astronauts in 2001 actually seem like honest to goodness astronauts. No hyper-emotional nonsense, they had the kind of temperament you'd expect from a NASA employee!
    Sort of sad that decades after 2001: A Space Odyssey was released, and all the computer generated effects available to moviemakers, no SF movie has told a better story than did Kubrick & Clarke. Hell, the original Planet of the Apes was better than almost every modern SF movie!

17. Sparrow

I've always appreciated how Schulz never caved in to cheap sentimentality like all the other comic strips of the day.

18. Diziet Sma

Really liked it. I remember watching it with some friends and the reaction was very extreme. Very few loved it, most couldn't even finish it. I guess the subtlety of the events and of its message disappointed many viewers expecting your stander action SF film.

I'm into war films as well as I have always liked war literature (Bellicose?? is this how you categorise it?) I'm about to star a mini German series "Generation War" My father really liked it, at least from the historical point of view must be accurate, as he is is extremely intolerant about romanticising historical facts.

19. Sparrow

2001:A Space Odyssey isn't a movie that could be released to today's over-stimulated moviegoers... no explosions, no terrifying aliens, no superheroes.

I'm not overly fond of war movies or for that matter military SF. I think probably the only movie I've watched that I could recommend is, The Grey Zone. A movie about the holocaust that never even has a pretense of hope for the characters in the story. Very powerful.

20. Diziet Sma

Regarding War/Holocaust literature, there are truly wonderful books. However, one must be definitely in the mood for it…