The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I saw three movies relatively recently:

Die Hard 2 (1990) by Renny Harlin. A re-watch. I personally prefer the second instalment over the original.

Lockout (2012) by James Mather and Stephen Saint Leger. An absolute shit science fiction action film. Some of the hardware was fun.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) by Anthony and Joe Russo. Not too bad. Had some fun moments and also some very cheesy ones. Very passé as a science fiction idea - an absolutely basic iteration of Malthusian population control, but what are you going to expect from a Marvel film, eh?

2. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

It has been an animation festival for me. I just finished the Lord of the Rings books, so I re-watched the old animated movies:

Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings comprises the first two books. It is a fairly accurate adaptation of the books combined with rotoscoped animation and solarized live footage. It mostly looks terrible. The editing isn't very good, and the characterization of Sam is embarrassing. While the film has moments that are touching and decent music, the film is not good. Bakshi claimed you couldn't make a movie like this with traditional animation - which leads me to believe that Bakshi's assessment of his expertise in animation may have been off. Not recommended.

In contrast, the Rankin/Bass Return of the King is more heavily adapted story-wise, but a much better film. Animated by the forerunner to Studio Ghibli, the backgrounds are impressive paintings with interestingly stylized characters. The only thing lacking is a somewhat low frame rate, making some action appear choppy compared to the best traditional animation. The directors add several long sequences depicting the hobbits' dreams and dark temptations. Of all film adaptations, I found this one the most artistic and touching. Recommended.

From the same era, Miyazaki animated Lupin III: The Castle Cagliostro. A comedic caper film, the animation is simple but exceptional, full of great details, realistic depictions of period automobiles and truly novel action scenes. It streams on Netflix right now in remastered form. Recommended.

Modern animation:

Appleseed Alpha is the last film adaptation of the Appleseed manga, and the worst. The film uses hyper-realistic video game style animation to tell a prequel story that really doesn't fit with the original storyline. The scope of the story is narrow, the characters stiff in both animation and characterization. All the things that make these characters great is essentially lacking. Not recommended.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a SF drama about a teenage girl in modern Japan who gains the ability to go back in time and prevent things in her personal life from happening. From the same people who did the Summer Wars and the Wolf Children, it shares those films' realistic depiction of characters and life in contemporary Japan. Unlike mainstream anime, female characters, even when wearing short skirts, in the bath or in romantic situations, are not drawn in a sexualized way. All three films manage to feel more like real life than even live action films manage to because the characters are so nuanced that they lack any of the distraction that the audience's knowledge that they are watching actors brings. See all three films - recommended.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Boreas likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

A Quiet Place (2018) directed by John Krasinski.

Saw this "sci-fi" horror film recently and was entertained despite narrative inconsistencies, obvious tricks, and some frustratingly predictable behaviour. There is no explanation for the status quo nor any definitive resolution - the film is a snapshot of a family dealing with the aftermath as best as they can in a rural/wooded setting.

The film is a derivative of a common horror trope, but it does succeed in providing an atmosphere of dread. And it does so with a minimum of dialogue - sign language and sound design are used to communicate and build tension, respectively. Where it fails is in logic. The film has its own internal and inexplicable logic, or lack thereof, that must be accepted with a not insignificant suspension of disbelief if one is to enjoy the experience. Krasinski and especially Blunt are quite decent in their roles, and their characters do manage to garner some investment from the audience. The children less so, and one of them being deaf is an overly convenient and conspicuous gun courtesy of Chekhov.

Overall, it's an illogical, gimmicky but somewhat enjoyable thriller.

Tiran likes this.