The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Thanks! I will watch it.

I haven't read the books either.

I don't think she did. The way I understood it was Lena (Portland) was allowed to flee (by the way, which Lena??).
    In the final scene, Portland meets up with her husband and asks him "are you Kane?" and he replies "I don't think so" Beyond the fact she viewed the tape when he kills himself.
    However, what I found most revealing of the ending was the last frame when they embraced each other, and the feral look in their eyes is very promising...

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I saw three films over the weekend:

Conan the Barbarian (1982) by John Milius, which was so good!

Conan the Destroyer (1984) by Max Fleischer, which was cheesy fun but very 'meh' compared to the first.

And Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) by Rian Johnson, which I really did not like (but it was visually spectacular).

The two Conan films are re-watches for me, but I had completely forgotten how good the first one is. Parts of it are positively operatic in the Wagnarian sense, and Basil Poledouris' score fully affirms that sensibility.

Seconded. One of the really excellent contemporary SF films I've seen.

3. Jim Johanson

Jim Johanson Full Member

I'm looking forward to this one for when it comes out on DVD.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. Diziet Sma

I have watched it and have enjoyed it. All the laddish bickering was humorous in a perverse way...

I went to see Isle of Dogs by Wes Anderson. An intelligent story infused with contemporary Japanese pop culture. Recommended.

5. Boreas

I re-watched Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy (the uncut, extended versions). Honestly, it exhausted me. The final film (The Return of the King) is four bloody hours long!

6. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

7. Boreas

Re-watched The Hunt for Red October (1990) by McTiernan on a whim yesterday, and I've got to say that this thriller/espionage film holds up well. Aside from attempted Russian speak by Sean Connery and Sam Neil, everyone plays their part very well, and the build-up, the suspense...it's all very tautly wound. Even though Harrison Ford is my favourite iteration of Clancy's Jack Ryan character for the screen, Alec Baldwin does a good job, too.

While I find some of McTiernan's other films fun (of the ones I've seen), my favourite by him is the 1999 re-make for The Thomas Crown Affair.

8. Hermann Morr

Hermann Morr Full Member

Akira at cinema, for the 30th anniversary.

9. Safari Bob

Not that good.

10. Boreas

I have watched three sports-related dramas lately. All very good.

Warrior (2011) by Gavin O'Connor. Sports film about MMA, but really an intense drama of a dysfunctional family: between estranged siblings and their father. MMA scenes are excellent, but even better is the intensity of the character portrayals - dealing with resentment, financial ruin and seeking forgiveness/redemption. Very personal storytelling and a superb supporting performance by Nick Nolte as the father seeking redemption. This film is doubly impressive for being an original script, not inspired by real life nor an adaptation of a previously existing work. This was actually a re-watch, and I liked it as much as before. It gets an A- from me.

Rush (2013) by Ron Howard. A biographical drama centred on the rivalry of Formula 1 racers James Hunt and Niki Lauda. It was very good, but Chris Hemsworth's portrayal of James Hunt was not as good/intense as Daniel Brühl's brilliant performance as Lauda. Could be the writing, or it could just be that Lauda was a far more interesting, intense and driven character in real life. Despite the weaker and unsubtle or overdone performance by Hemsworth, the film is still very good. The cinematography and F1 scenes are superb! Really enjoyed it and I'll give it a B+ (Brühl's performance is A+).

Borg vs. McEnroe (2017) by Janus Metz Pedersen. Another biographical drama centred around the 'rivalry' of tennis players. I say rivalry in inverted commas because it's not an overt and direct rivalry as between Hunt and Lauda. It does suffer from a similar problem as in Rush, where one performance is slightly overdone, dangerously treading into caricature. This would be Shia LaBeouf's portrayal of John McEnroe. I still have to give LaBeouf props, because finding a realistic balance in performing McEnroe's character whilst attempting to not overdo it is very difficult. I think LaBeouf did a fair job, but it could have been just a little bit more toned down. Sverrir Gudnason playing Björn Borg was very good, and his side was the real meat of the story. Also enjoyed it and I'll give it a B+.

11. Safari Bob

12. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

I have never disagreed with someone this much before.

That movie pisses all over the books and throws them in the garbage.

I would honestly say the Eragon movie can pass easier as a movie adaptation of Lord of the Rings

Arnold's notoriously bad acting turned the multifaceted deep and intelligent master tactician, historian, multi language using, stealthy, archeaologist known as Conan , and turned him into a perpetual musclehead who can't turn his neck nor count to five even while using his fingers.

13. Boreas

I saw Everest (2015) by Baltasar Kormákur. It's a biographical film of a disastrous 1996 expedition to Mt. Everest's summit. It was meh. I can't really find much fault with the film, but neither is it particularly good.

There is actually a thread to discuss Conan the Barbarian. Oh, I agree with your point that casting Arnold made a caricature of Howard's character. That does irk me, but I take it in the same vein as I do Lynch's adaptation of Dune. Taken for itself, I think it's a great film.

14. Safari Bob

15. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

fair enough

16. Diziet Sma

Series I have tried and dropped. I'm growing pickier with age and have very little patience: The Alienist, Lost in Space, The Outsider, Crossing Lines and The Frankenstein Chronicles.

17. Safari Bob

I watched Dunkirk last night. I think I am getting old because it seemed so small in scope. Too many old war movies with multiple characters, narratives, and battles.

18. Boreas

I saw Ready Player One, and it is, without a doubt, one of the most boring films I've recently seen. I swear, Spielberg has reached a nadir as a director with this one. Book was entertaining if insubstantial; film is a complete joke. It's a film to watch if you feel the need to test yourself in being able to recognise pop-culture references. And this poster is a perfect metaphorical representation of the film: badly and inattentively executed.

The CGI is so cheesy; yes, I know the cartoon-y effect is intentional, but that makes no difference to me. It's emotional resonance is zero to negligible - I honestly could not care an iota for any of the characters. It attempts to capture nostalgia and fails. Its glorification of fandom feels silly and muddled precisely because of the proliferation of references. Only mildly entertaining part of the film is the drastically changed and slight comic-relief role of the character I-r0k who procures and activates the "Orb of Osuvox". Much of the film is changed from the book if I remember correctly (I read it sometime in early 2012). Perhaps the only smart thing Spielberg did was to avoid referencing his own movies from the 80's (although, I probably would have enjoyed seeing something of Jaws). Or maybe he did sneak something of his in, but I just didn't notice it?

At least I was able to get through it, unlike with Chappie and Jupiter Ascending, both of which I turned off at ca. 30-40 minutes. So, I suppose that's something a little positive? (But if I were watching RPO alone, I probably would have turned it off, too.)

With all of its action, all the CGI, the innumerable spoken and visual references to pop-culture media to make fanboys squeal, it's ultimately a completely hollow film. It looks sweet, might taste sugary on a first bite, but becomes unpalatable in short order. If you want nostalgic fare, watch some of Spielberg's early films, or just watch The Goonies instead for that wide-eyed, innocent adventure.

Ready Player One (2018) 1.jpg

Diziet Sma and Safari Bob like this.
  19. Safari Bob

I watched Residue on Netfix yesterday. It was pretty good, although I felt that what the "residue" was never resolved. I enjoyed the cinematography and the look of the show--especially the first episode. My wife liked it more than I did.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  20. Diziet Sma

The Drop (2014 )by Michaël R. Roskam. This is a solid crime thriller. Slow build up with great acting. However, do not expect lots of action nor a complicated plot.