The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I just re-watched Rogue One.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Just watched The Hunted (2003) by William Friedkin last night. I decided to watch it on recommendation. When I looked it up, I saw that it was unfavourably received by the critics for the most part, but it turned out to be great! Tommy Lee Jones is the tracker who's recruited to help hunt down Benicio del Toro, a man trained as an expert tracker/efficient killer for the military by Jones. This film is not about intimate characterisations; rather, it focuses on the framework and processes of the hunt. Some great action scenes, restrained acting and portrayals of characters, and two excellent military-styled fighting sequences sans flamboyance. I'll recommend this to anyone who likes a good, back-to-basics action-thriller. A-

3. Boreas

Rewatched four action-fueled films: First Blood (1982), Die hard (1988), Aliens (1986) and Edge of Tomorrow (2014).

All great fun. While some of the action in First Blood feels a little dated now, I had forgotten how good Stallone's abrupt and dramatic psychological breakdown is right at the end. That ending is probably one of the few times he's done some bona fide acting. Die Hard is your standard action film. Aliens is, of course, fantastic as always. And Edge of Tomorrow keeps getting better with every viewing (my third) despite the plot-contrivance at the very end. I'm really looking forward to the sequel and keeping my fingers crossed that it's even better than the first. In my opinion, EoT is one of the best book-to-film SF adaptations I've seen since Robert Wise's The Andromeda Strain (1971) and Peter Hyams' 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984). However, while Wise's and Hyams' adaptations follow the minutiae of their source material very carefully, Liman's adaptation is very different in tone, mood and detail whilst keeping the basic skeleton of the plot. For a Japanese story completely adapted for a western audience, it is an A.

4. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I thought The Martian was also pretty darn faithful to the book. As was 300 and Sin City.

5. Jim Johanson

Jim Johanson Full Member

Hush was pretty good. I'm normally not into 'slasher' type stuff, but it's an interesting spin on the "someone is trying to get into my house and kill me" trope, and it's not a gross-out gore fest. Would recommend.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Boreas

The Martian was for the most part, except for the final rescue when the female captain decided to do the EVA instead of the individual whose primary expertise was exactly such EVA manoeuvring. Thought that was extremely Hollywood-stupid and un-astronaut-like. Besides, I did not really like the book nor the film. Sin City adaptation was top-notch, and I say that as previously having been a near-rabid Frank Miller fan. 300, however, sucked ass. I think keeping faith with the style of the comic in this visual adaptation just didn't work, and neither did the introduction of the extra plot element back in Sparta add anything.

7. Boreas

Thanks for the recommendation, and welcome to the forum!

8. Safari Bob

I like this movie:

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Have you watched Bright by D. Ayer?
    I have and I found it very cliche, not particularly funny and somewhat predictable.
    Special effects were good, but beyond that, I would have liked it to focus more on the orcs and elves and less on Will Smith's personality.

10. Safari Bob

I have seen it. I thought it was OK but my wife loved it.

11. Boreas

I saw a fantastic noir crime thriller film yesterday. Drive (2011) by Nicolas Winding Refn. I had vaguely heard of this as a good film and thought it would have lots of driving action sequences. It had couple of such short scenes, but it was actually a slower-paced thriller. And I believe it was the first time I had seen a film with Ryan Gosling in it. Now, I had the superficial impression of Gosling as a romantic lead in films. At least, that's how he'd somehow ended up getting typecast in my mind. I also know he's in Blade Runner 2049. For some reason, I always classed him together with Ryan Reynolds, whom I really don't like, but Holy Cow! Gosling was absolutely great in this film. I loved Refn's direction, loved the colours and atmosphere of Los Angles evenings (if it were high-tech, it could have been a cyberpunk noir film), and loved the story stripped of dialogue to its minimum. And I particularly loved how simple the story was - no twists, no gimmicks, just as simple as can be. There was a wonderful juxtaposition of tender-heartedness with necessary ruthlessness in Gosling's portrayal of his character, and which somehow also seemed to spillover into the overall stark atmosphere of the film. Good acting from all the principals. Also some unexpectedly hard but short bursts of violence. A solid A from me, and a great crime film. I even feel like picking up the book it's based on.

Edit: Also, as I checked Refn's filmoagraphy, I find he directed another film that was a surprise hit for me some years back: Valhalla Rising (2009). I didn't follow through at the time to see what else the director had done, but I'll be checking out more of his features now. There's definitely a similarity between these to features - the slow pace, the camera shots, absolutely minimal dialogue, etc.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  12. Jim Johanson

Jim Johanson Full Member

Just watched The Void (2017). The practical effects were spectacular, and it's so rare to see movies still using practical effects rather than just computer animating everything. That being said, it would have been nice if the practical effects had the tiniest semblance of a plot behind them. It feels like a group of really talented special effects guys decided to make a movie, so they asked a guy from a community college writing I course to come up with a plot and gave him a day to do it. Lots of untapped potential here.

13. Boreas

Finally saw the famous Death Wish (1974) directed by Brian Garfield and starring Charles Bronson. Was very surprised at the extremely brutal violence of that first major scene. Overall, I really liked the whole feature despite its glorification of vigilantism. The film supposedly delivers the opposite message from the book it's based on, which denounces such action (the author criticised the film for this deviation). I've made a note to seek out the book at some point. Charles Bronson plays a 'bleeding heart' liberal and an architect, a conscientious objector of the Korean War (ended up being a CO of a medical unit), and how he slowly succumbs to the notion of taking justice into his own hands in a crime-infested NYC after his wife is killed and daughter left comatose from the trauma of assault. Film was received very negatively by critics for its message but embraced by the audience. This film spawned a few sequels, all of which are supposed to be a lot more generic and exploitative action features.

It reminded me a little of another vigilante film I liked from circa ten years ago starring Jodie Foster, The Brave One. It's very similar in that an everyday civilian resorts to justice outside the law, not individuals with former experience such as ex-cops, criminals, army vets, etc. Okay, Charles Bronson's character was technically an army veteran, but not really a soldier. Neither of the films are flashy.

14. Safari Bob

I watched this over the weekend:

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

And? Any good?

16. Safari Bob

It was good but there is a rape scene. I hate those. But that is why they make the >> button, I guess.