The Last Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

As the title says.

I've not watched any films in some months now (though I've watched a few episodes of some shows here and there) and as I was looking into the Warhammer 40K universe, I came across a movie that I decided to watch today: Ultramarines (2010) directed by Martyn Pick and written by Dan Abnett (whose Eisenhorn omnibus I've got). It was computer animated and whilst not the best, it kept my interest and gave me visual references as to the W40K lore.

Edit: Thinking on it a little more, I did like it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. Boreas

It seems I've started watching movies again. I recently saw three.

Escape from Absolom (1994) directed by Martin Campbell and starring Ray Liotta, Lance Henrickson and Stuart Wilson. It's set in a dystopian future where those deemed unable to function in society (i.e. criminals) are forever relegated to penal colonies run by corporations as businesses. The warden of one such, where Ray Liotta's character is sent to, regularly dumps his prisoners on a private, highly guarded and secretive island where two groups of humans tenuously co-exist - a primal, savage group of cannibalistic humans and a smaller group that tries to cooperatively build some vestige of community. It was a pretty entertaining movie (not a B-movie, but with flavours of it) and Stuart Wilson did a great job as the sociopathic leader of the savage group. The movie is also called No Escape (the US theatrical release) which is missing circa 10 minutes of footage at the end. Score: B. Based on Richard Herley's 1987 novel The Penal Colony.

The Flight of the Phoenix (1965) directed by Robert Aldrich and starring James Stewart, Richard Attenborough and Hardy Krüger. This was an excellent film. My interest to watch this original was sparked when I saw the somewhat mediocre 2004 remake some years ago (though there were a few really good scenes in that one, particularly a slow motion scene soundtracked by a Massive Attack number from their Mezzanine album). A cargo plane flying to Benghazi in Libya encounters a sandstorm and crash lands in the desert. The survivors spend some days waiting for rescue and when that seems a forlorn hope, they prevaricate between the inevitability of death and a long-shot plan to save themselves. Score: A. Based on Elleston Trevor's 1964 novel of the same name.

Titan A. E. (2000) directed by Gary Goldman and Don Bluth and starring Matt Damon and Drew Barrymore. This is an animated science fiction/space opera adventure that I originally saw in the theatres and decided to re-watch. I remember liking it the first time around and even bought the soundtrack. Though there was a pleasing element of nostalgia as I watched it this time, I wasn't as impressed. There are some cool concepts - the antagonist species' nature as energy beings, some very lush settings and some light-hearted, comedic moments. But, aside from a few scenes depicting zero gravity and one mention of expelling all air from the lungs in the vacuum of space, there is no other attempt at realism. I know, I know, it's not only a space opera, but also aimed at children, but I really wanted something more, and I keep thinking that they definitely can make science fiction with a good dose of scientific verisimilitude even for children. The most egregious scene is at the end when the entire billion year plus timespan of planet creation is condensed into a few seconds. Score purely as a young children's fantasy: A. My score: C-.

3. Boreas

I wanted something mindless to watch and turned to the Marvel franchise. Ended up watching Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) directed by Anthony and Joe Russo and starring Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Robert Redford and Samuel L. Jackson.

I was expecting another subpar fare like Captain America: First Avenger from 2011, but what the Hell! my expectations were completely blown away. This was quite a well written political conspiracy-thriller with superhero elements. Action scenes were very well done (especially the opening raid on a hijacked ship), there was a little more character development and a more mature twist at the end regarding the overall status quo. CGI is naturally a core aspect of superhero films, but it was thankfully toned down with this effort. This movie also finally introduced (though briefly) Sharon Carter from the comics, who was always one of my preferred characters from the Captain America stories (Mark Waid did some great stories on the two). I think this is definitely one of the better Marvel offerings I've seen besides 2003's Hulk by Ang Lee and 2011's X-Men: First Class by Matthew Vaughn. Score: B+ because I went in with very low expectations.

Hail Hydra!

4. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I'm hopelessly out of touch with new movies. Our local cinema is not a comfortable experience so I tend to watch movies at home on a 42 inch screen, which means I wait a while for them to come out on DVD. It occurred to me yesterday that I still haven't seen the second Star Trek prequel, even though I must have watched the first one 80 times by now!

5. Boreas

Same, I basically watch DVDs or stream from sites.

6. MachbooSS

MachbooSS New Member

Chappie was the last one I watched. Same guy who did District 9 which is great. Chappie was not bad. I enjoyed it. But unlike District 9 I most probably wont watch it again. I barely watch movies in the Cinema unless its for some new graphics tech they are trying to pull of. I just set up an IFFF recipe. Every week new movie is release on DVD with a rating above 6 I get sent an email. Those that sound interesting I stream them to my TV. with the lights off, and coke, and some popcorn.

7. Boreas

Haven't seen Chappie nor District 9. The only Neil Blomkamp film I've watched is Elysium, which I didn't particularly like, though there were some enjoyable aspects to it and I did think Sharlto Copley was very good in his role. I'm looking forward to watching District 9 as it's been universally acclaimed.

8. MachbooSS

MachbooSS New Member

Maggie... watched it last night... meehhh it was ok. It felt a little like the Last of us PS4 game... But far away from it... The last of us was amazing

9. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

The Last of Us was stunning .. it's the last game I played on my PS3 before upgrading. I might check out Maggie in any case.

The last film I watched was Jurassic World. It was bloody amazing, I loved it so much. Really enjoyed the links back to the first film, and Pratt was fantastic.

Really hope they make another sequel.

10. Boreas

Did you watch the sequels before it? Besides the original, I saw its sequel The Lost World, but never managed to watch the third film in the franchise. Will have to stream Jurassic World sometime - hope it's not just about the special effects.

I don't know if you ever read Michael Crichton's book, but it was very good! A lot of his early science/historical thrillers were really a lot of fun.

11. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I still need to see Jurrassic World. My partner doesn't want to watch it which makes it awkward.

12. Boreas

Finally watched a movie since last August.

Act of Valor (2012) directed by Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh. Actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a more 'patriotic' vibe and depicts the military via US Navy SEALS in a more positive light. Finally! Honestly, I was getting a little sick and tired of Hollywood's progressive bias where they have to de-construct and criticise every single damn thing and show the more core, 'American' values (or people adhering to them) in a negative light. Sure, it can make for great movies, but I often find it indulgent and smacking of hypocrisy these days, so it's great to find a movie once in a while that's in black-and-white. You know who the good guys are...and you know what, it feels good.

Most of the 'actors' were actual, active-duty Navy SEALS and the cinematography, action sequences and depiction of logistical operations are freaking great. Some of the best I've seen. Acting skills are low and meaningful character development is almost non-existent. The slightly cheesy music also annoyed me at times, but that's a minor issue. Still, I really enjoyed watching it and will see it again for those fantastic and very realistic action sequences. Don't watch any trailers. Let the action, Navy SEAL tactics and logistic operations be a total surprise. It gets an A+ for all these elements. Final score: B- (but I enjoyed it more than a B- would indicate).

13. Boreas

I've been watching more movies lately during my non-reading phase over the last nearly two months. I'll mention a few.

I re-watched Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), both the director's cut versions, and both for the umpteenth time, though I hadn't seen either in quite a few years now. Excellent films, as always. Despite being so different from each other, they approach the particular universe and Ripley's characters equally well in their own ways. James Cameron is very good at keeping faith with the original without attempting to emulate it and develops Ripley's character beautifully (although there are some shots that are a clear homage to Ridley Scott's opening scenes). I love both films and give them an A+ and A, respectively. I have to say that Scott's Alien is an absolute masterpiece, even if it doesn't have the snappy dialogue of Cameron's sequel.

Also finally watched Duncan Jones' Moon (2009). Wow, I had no idea it would be so good. Bowie's kid has great potential as a film-maker. Strangely, I'd gotten the soundtrack for the film when it came out because it was scored by Clint Mansell and performed by the Kronos Quartet, musicians whom I've been listening to for years. I kept telling myself that I'd watch the film but somehow just never got to it until now. All I knew previously was that it was about a lone human on the moon taking care of some installation. I didn't know what the background was or anything else. And I'm so glad I never read a synopsis or watched any trailers. Sam Rockwell performs brilliantly and I loved the slow unveiling of the mystery. I also liked that the movie is quite constrained. It didn't attempt to explain the full ramifications of the overall plot nor what might happen afterwards. It dealt only in the moment for Sam Rockwell's character. Very impressive début by Jones. Score: A-.

14. Boreas

I'm catching up with more recent releases. Finally saw Marvel's Deadpool. A few funny moments, but what a shit story. Tried overly hard with style and absolutely no substance. A perfumed turd of a story is still a turd of a story. Barely escapes a fail with a D-, and only for the presentation of the introductory credits which I thought was fun.

15. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I was made to watch Captain America civil war. 2.5 hours long ... :confused: The only rediming feature for me personally was Antman and Spiderman. Captain America sent me off to a nice siesta. Obviously I didn't get it, I am too old or else because the whole audience was in awe.

16. Boreas

Ha, I'll watch Captain America: Civil War eventually. I've got a friend who's big into the Marvel/DC films. Has most of them on BluRay. Now that Marvel/DC is developing this visual comic franchise, there's going to be a lot more dips in quality (or maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about). I think they could get away with decent to very good quality if they did it every once in a while, but they're going to be having multiple projects on the go, so the pressure is going to be very high. Plus, they might supersaturate the industry and people will start getting tired of superhero films.

I also saw last year's blockbuster action-fest that was Mad Max: Fury Road a little while back. Visuals were stunning, but my head nearly exploded. Too. much. sensory. input. I've never seen an action film with that much non-stop action. There was no time to breathe. I want to say I loved it, but I still don't know how I really feel about the film. It was stunningly made, with such careful, loving attention to detail. I'll need to watch it at least two more times to appreciate the little things, but the ultra fast pace of the movie means I'll have to pick out details in mere seconds or even fractions of seconds in some cases. When the movie finished, it's like how I imagine a come down after doing some lines of coke might have felt. I was totally drained and exhausted and RL felt a little dull and grey for some minutes afterwards.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  17. Diziet Sma

Well, I'm a total ignorant regarding superheroes films. I wasn't sure what to expect about this C America though. Visuals were extraordinary but I was waiting for some kind of story behind it to get my attention: Meh!
    Now, I have heard about Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm waiting for Netflix CH to release it but here in Switzerland things take tiiiiime...
    I have re-watched Alien for the 10th time and still love the tension/atmosphere during the whole film. I still need a big cushion to hide from the truly scary bits.
    I am refusing to watch Games of Thrones till Martin finalises the series. By the time this happens, I think I will have to start from A Song of Ice and Fire again as I know I won't be able to remember all characters and details: gosh! It has been a while since I finished A Dance with Dragons.

18. Boreas

I never get tired of watching Alien. That intro scene with one long camera shot is just so brilliant. The build-up of tension in the whole movie, the play of lights and angles in so many scenes...just fantastic. Scott did all his best work early on. Did you ever watch his début film The Duellists? Fantastic stuff, masterful cinematography, and his resources for the film were small! It's based on a Joseph Conrad story of a long feud between two Hussar soldiers in Napoleon's army.

As for the Game of Thrones TV show, I also stopped after the 3rd season. For two reasons: one, because I stopped reading A Song of Ice and Fire with A Storm of Swords (I decided to wait for Martin to finish the series before I'd read any more - that was around 2002/2003) and two, because I was honestly getting bored with the show. And now it's been so long that I've almost completely lost interest in continuing reading that series. If Martin does finish it, then I think I probably will start the series again from volume one. But while early on (2002/2003), I was still quite excited about future instalments, I no longer care.

Make sure to watch Mad Max: Fury Road in BluRay quality and a BIG screen. The visuals deserve it.

19. Diziet Sma

No, I haven't watched the Duellists but it is noted... By the way, stupid question but, how do you begin. A new thread?:confused:

20. Boreas

You go into your sub-forum of choice, like "Film & TV" or "Other Books", and on the top right-hand side (also bottom right-hand side) you'll see a blue button: Post New Thread.

Diziet Sma likes this.