switching to ebooks

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by bzipitidoo, May 23, 2018.

1. bzipitidoo

bzipitidoo Regular Member

I have a severe shortage of space, and this has driven me to switch to ebooks. What takes a whole wall of floor to ceiling bookshelves in paper form fits on a fingernail sized chip in digital form, and that's just too big a difference for me to continue passing up. Been unloading my collection of SF/Fantasy paperbacks at the used book store as I find ebook replacements.

Of course, need a device and power to read an ebook, but I don't see that as a stopper any more. Lots of people claim they like paper better, like the feel of it, and find it easier on the eyes. Those sound like excuses. Flat screens and other viewing tech are extremely good these days, and will only get better. For instance, might get flexible screens in a few more years.

One real problem is the poor quality of many ebooks. Sometimes they're not even formatted properly. Might have paragraphs and chapters all run together, or no quote marks around speech. Many were OCRed and not proofread afterwards, and so you see lots of errors that are typical of OCR, such as 'm' in place of "rn". But that I think can only improve. I've cleaned up several myself. Can't fix an error in a paperback so easily.

Most of all, ebooks gives me more access. I have been reading more SF lately. Whenever I'm stuck somewhere, waiting on something, just pull out my phone and read a few more lines. Have hundreds of books on my phone.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

The majority of my reading is now done on my Kindle. I have bought paper books on only a few occasions during the last circa 4 years. I find it very convenient for all the advantages you mention. And I have experienced bad formatting, but only a few times and on every one of those occasions with self-published titles. But I think even people who self-publish are now taking great pains to have things formatted properly.

Do you also have a dedicated e-reader or are you currently only using your phone? I have the Kindle Paperwhite and I am extremely satisfied with it - it reads just as if you were reading a real book, and most important for me is that there is no glare.

3. bzipitidoo

bzipitidoo Regular Member

No dedicated reader. Using my phone and desktop. Sometimes I use a laptop or a tablet. At $35 each, low end tablets are stunningly inexpensive.

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Can't do any of those, although I haven't tried reading on my phone. I need the glare-free e-reader. I got mine for Eur 99 in 2014. I'm sure those models must be available for less now. I *think* it was the 2nd generation Paperwhite.

5. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I have the Kindle app on my phone and I have one of the original Kindles somewhere but I much prefer a physical book.

6. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

We are moving next month. After looking at all my books last night, I now wish I had invested more in ebooks. :)

7. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Oh dear! I don't envy you... Good luck!

Safari Bob likes this.