Summer Reads 2018

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Diziet Sma, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    What books are you taking with you on your holiday? Do you plan your reading or do you make your choices as you go along?

In my case:
    • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga) by L. M. Bujold,
    • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) by S Corey.
    • The Forever War by J. Haldeman.
    • Chasm City by Reynolds
    • Tigana by Gavriel.
    I will be pleased if I manage to read these five books plus some other crime and historical fiction novels I have in mind.
    What about you?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

It's probably good to read those books in the order you've listed them, because if you attempt to read the first two after reading the Haldeman, Reynolds and Gavriel books, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

3. Diziet Sma

Would you swap Scott's Ender's Game for either one of the first two books?

4. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I live in 'Merica where "holiday" is code for "slacker", well, unless you are a "politician" which is code for "git". If I had a holiday I would probably take a series with me. Dang, I wish I had a holiday. :(

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I would switch the Bujold book with Ender's Game.

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I will be reading Neal Asher's new book, The Soldier: Rise of the Jain, as well as his great short story collection, Owning the Future, full of some of his best short stories and introductory information about some of the new characters in The Soldier. I will also be reading Ed McDonalds' second book in the Raven's Mark series, Ravencry, when it drops August 21. Peter Newman (The Vagrant trilogy) starts a new series with The Deathless, release date keeps changing. I am also going to try out Ian McDonald's Luna which has been reduced to $2.99 from it's previous $14.99 which made me give it a miss. Also going to read Cold Iron by Miles Cameron (Red Knight), Bloody Rose the sequel to Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames, Redemption's Blade: After the War by Adrian Tchaikovsky, and Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik which is billed as a new take on Rumpelstilskin. Busy summer of reading.

7. Diziet Sma

Oh dear! Surely you will have a few days off when you can hide with some books, a spade, and a bucket.;)

Safari Bob likes this.
  8. Diziet Sma

I haven't read any of the fantasy authors you have mentioned.
    I have Ian McDonald's Luna. I keep reading good reviews about it. I keep meaning to read it, and somehow, it keeps slipping away.
    By Tchaikovsky, I have The Tiger and the Wolf and The Bear and the Serpent (Echoes of the Fall I & II) as well as Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt #1) After reading and enjoying his Children of Time I'm not put off by the insects-like characters.
    But then, I remember you don't do bugs, do you?

9. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Spiders are the only bugs that bug me. I actually read Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky to prove I could get through a big spiders book but that's it, which is too bad because I know Children of Time would enhance my life. I am reading The Tiger and The Wolf intermittently, as it doesn't grab me yet. Great Ship fans can rejoice over Robert Reed's series of new novellas in the Great Ship world.