Short and sweet SF

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Sep 6, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Can anyone recommend some really good series made up of relatively short instalments? I recently finished the Lost Fleet books by Jack Campbell and really enjoyed them, and whilst not being shining beacons of SF excellence, they were fun, so I'm looking for something similar I guess.

And I'm not really interested in unfinished series. Apart from that, I'm not fussy :)

2. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison.
    Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.
    Star Wars extended universe. Timothy Zahn's fun trilogy would be a good starting point.
    A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams
    Known Space novels by Larry Niven. Not exactly a series, but connected books (novels and short stories) that make up a sprawling universe.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the perfect series for you!
    Written by Jack McDevitt, his Alex Benedict stories are nothing Earth-shattering, just very solid (fun) reads.
    Alex Benedict, with his pilot Chase Kolpath, go off in search of ghost ships, lost colonies, alien artifacts... Alex sells antiques, but not the kind of antiques we're familiar with; a plastic cup with a NASA logo can fetch a small fortune, if it's from a lost spaceship. You can read the stories in any order as they're pretty much episodic, but if you decide to give them a go, read 'Seeker', it's probably the best book of the bunch and a Nebula Award winner for best novel (2005).

5. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Err .. this is really weird. I just bought 15 Mcdevitt books last week because they were reduced to 99p each. I have the entire Benedict series. Guess what I'm reading next!