SF TV Series - Your Picks

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by btkong, Feb 29, 2016.

1. btkong

btkong Administrator Staff Member

So what are the best science fiction TV series?

A few of my picks. I'll put down a proper list here soon.

The Expanse (this new series based on the awesome books, so far, rocks).

Battlestar Galactica (many deep themes explored, good characters, lots of action, overall a strong plot though it wandered a bit)

Firefly

Colony (not complex, but I'm liking it so far)

2. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Full Member

I also really do like Battlestar Galactica, have watched it about until the humans get enslaved by the machines (don't remember which season that was).
    Need to pick up the corresponding box sets to continue watching it.

Other than that, I really enjoyed Babylon 5 some years ago.

And a few oldies ... U.F.O., Moonbase Alpha 1, and, of course, the various instalments of Star Trek (my favourite was TNG).

3. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Huge soft spot for Blake's Seven here.

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

One of the absolute best SF shows, I agree! Would definitely like to re-watch it sometime.

5. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

My kids love it - we have the box sets (very, very well loved.)

6. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

Have never seen Blake's Seven, or Red Dwarf, or many other British shows.

I'm old. I grew up watching the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. I was 16 when Star Trek premiered, and shortly after that I started reading SF. Books have always satisfied me more than filmed media, but there have been a few others I have enjoyed. I still love ST:TOS, but consider DS9 the best of the franchise. I liked The Prisoner and Space 1999, but not Lost in Space or original Battlestar Galactica. Love Babylon 5, Firefly, The Expanse, and to a lesser extent new BSG and Space Above and Beyond. Currently liking 12 Monkeys, Orphan Black and Person of Interest. Looking forward to the return of Humans and Mr. Robot, although the latter is not technically SF, but should appeal to most genre fans.

7. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

Blake's 7 had some quite brilliant writing. There was a comeback series planned but it fell through. I'm glad it did, the concept work was terrible and it would have just killed the original. I recently watched 'Twilight Zone' (original) and it was awesome. Red Dwarf is good, some bad episodes but they kept changing the format so it never managed to get stale. It vanished when the main actor was accused of rape by his wife. It turned out she was lying and it came back but you can really see the change in him.
    I haven't seen anything lately which I thought was really good. Black Mirror was very good, some of the stories were really excellent. Utopia was really good but the first series was better. Misfits was good but only the first two seasons, it gets quite poor after that.

8. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

They also did an audio dramatisation of it. I managed to download the audio files some months back but haven't listened to them yet. Only seen a few of the original TZ episodes, maybe a little more than 10 of them? They were very entertaining and I should definitely try watching them all. Never really watched RD, just like I never watched Dr. Who.

9. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

Red Dwarf famously had the worst continuity between series it was possible to imagine. It was quite funny, not always brilliant but pretty good. Twilight Zone was a real jem, almost every episode of the first series was brilliant. It was groundbreaking stuff, watching it with modern eyes is interesting because you can see how many modern shows and stories have evolved from it.