SF story in 200 words

Discussion in 'Writing' started by hrafnwasser, Sep 15, 2017.

1. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

May be a short competition - flash sci fi - 200 words ? No prizes, just fun?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

This is a great idea! Would anyone like to share their flash Sci-Fi stories?

3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Ive never tried a flash story before. It sounds like a bar story (ie the stories I tell at a bar). They all start, "There I was..."

4. hrafnwasser

Sci fi bar stories - sounds good -

Other than sci fi and 200 words or less perhaps the only rule should be the story starts "There I was..."

Thoughts ?

5. Diziet Sma

What about introducing three elements (location, item, and character) to be included in the main premise of the story? We do this during the improvisation class.
    Let’s say 200 words top and:
    • A location: a bar.
    • An item: a toaster.
    • A character: Hal 9000

Who would like to have a go? Whoever writes the Sci-fi bar story gets to choose the new three elements for the following one. Other suggestions?

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

(A bar at the end of the universe)
    Hal: Why are you looking at me like that, Dave?
    Toaster: Dave's not here man.
    Hal: Then who's at the door?
    Dave: (knocking at the bar's door) Open up, man, it's me.
    Toaster: Dave's not here man. He's time traveling to yesterday.
    Dave: No, it's me man. I haven't left yet.
    Toaster: Dave's not here.
    Hal: He hasn't left yet and now he's back?
    Toaster: Now you've got it.
    Hal: You know I can't allow that, Dave.
    Toaster: Have another drink.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  7. hrafnwasser

Just wrote the following; I'll go back and write another with @Diziet Sma 's elements included.

"There I was… and there she was, rather momentarily was, then wasn't. Stepping from the dark into night-tinged orange-grey snow, her long coat open, Tarva looked up and made the hand-code movement Sa’ark. I nodded acknowledgement, signed back Koh and Tarva turned edgeways to vision, invisible, indivisible and she slipped back to into Zaman refuge.

Azama’ had been struggling since Landfall. Struggling for food, water, heat, light. Haraku’un had arrived with warning, but we’d no defences.
    Haraku’un might was embodied in surveillance, technology and a propensity to violence. Our stubbornness made no headway against colonisation. Azama’ was dying; a slow cultural and material murder.
    Tarva came in time and through time; a woman, human but she manipulated time or, perhaps, was time. Tarva taught resistance in a form we hadn't considered.
    Haraku’un management systems were algorithms predicated on logic; logic based on defiance and aggression, reflecting their values.
    Tarva showed us how undermine, to turn sideways to the sun. Between us no digital comms, no writing, minimal speech; we hand-danced speechlessly.
    We confused the Haraku'un though complete n-th degree compliance, adding to speech, chaos, irony, word-gaming.
    Tarva, always in time, taught us Haraku'un would retreat, there’d be a permanent defeat."

Safari Bob and Diziet Sma like this.
  8. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Item: a Frisbee.
    Character: Neil Armstrong

9. hrafnwasser

Ok. New Bar Story, by the rules.

There I was… Of all the gin joints in all the space-ports in all the system, she walked into mine - the Toaster Broad - hot as hell, sleek and polished, damn she was electrifying.
    Sam was playing, Toaster danced alone. I watched.
    “Barman make mine a hydrazine, double, on the rocks”, I was dry as the bottom of a canary’s cage. Wow, the way she moved…

If that that no-good Hal didn't turn up. I hated that Hal. Sleaze-ball, silicon conman. Sizing up all opportunities, blocking all the rest of guys, girls and gizmos. Never lets you in, never gives you an exit.
    I had to make my move.
    “Let me hold you, Toaster?”
    I led and activated my Swell Dancer app.
    Toaster was dizzy. She whispered “Kiss me. Kiss me as if it were the last time.”
    That creep Hal just watched, like he was reading our lips.
    Read this, I thought and kissed Toaster. My lips tingled

“Toaster, can an honest guy buy you a drink?”
    “Why sure, Electron, straight up…”
    “Hey, maybe I'm not an honest guy…”, I said.
    Toaster winked, “Maybe I'm not an honest Toaster!”
    Then I realised she was Sustainable, not just a plug-in.

Safari Bob and Diziet Sma like this.
  10. hrafnwasser

Oh boy, now to comply I've got another to write ... !!!

11. hrafnwasser

Last one - promise.

“Wapakoneta Trojan IX Biodome Alpha point L4, triangulation ping in 3,2,1, Ping and Report.”
    The initial handshake was sent by Armstrong 3.11 - AI Guidance System. Gemma just called it “Neil” for short, which was frankly a little odd since the Armstrong 3.11 vocalised in a gendered-as-a-woman voice. I suppose gendering AI at all is, well, weird but given our social evolution perhaps explicable if not logical.
    Anyway Gemma was boss, so what the hell? On that subject when she was being “Boss” we called her Captain and if we really pissed her off we would call her “Sir”.
    Reminds me of a joke I heard in a bar in Mars-B-6, “What do you call a 6 foot Canary? But really, Gemma was cool. Really cool. We earned well and spent little.

“Handshake Good, Gemma, auto-pilot engaged.” I echoed the automatics as per routine. “Biodome looking good, light off the crystal looks like rainbow halos, Gemma.”
    “Beautiful; been modified since last time?”
    “Dunno - er, Fran, dome been up-graded? I asked.
    Fran answered, “Yeah, remember? They had problems with FRS-A incoming. They’ve gone for FRS-B resilience.”
    “Hmm, Really pretty, wherever that means, Fran, real pretty”

Safari Bob likes this.
  12. hrafnwasser

Item: Steel Doors

Character: Juksakka - a heroine

13. Diziet Sma

Ha, Toaster rocks! I bet her setting changed from 1 to 5.

14. Diziet Sma

There I was… in The Pyramiden Bar in the middle of nowhere: actually it is called Svalbard but apart from an intense sense of beauty with its glaciers and frozen tundra, there is not much to see or to do or people to talk to. Hence my presence in this brand new bar. It stands proudly and tall. It glitters and chimes. It sparkles and bells. I’m weak and I came.
    Rumour has it The Pyramiden was a hot spot for gambling, drinking, and mingling with those who might not necessarily share our same apish ancestry: yes foreigners from outer space. They hate being called aliens and we are extremely PC in Svalbard, all the 2000 odd souls who inhabit these lands.

And there I was… and I came to this bar mainly for two reasons, firstly because my name is Juksakka and I hate kids. And secondly because of the well-known steel doors. Everybody here has heard of these wondrous steel doors, all the 2000 odd souls who inhabit these lands. They take you to places free of whining kids and wicked sisters. And I was determined to get away from both.

One problem though: the steel doors are riddled.
    I’m on my third Dry Martini and I don’t think my deductive powers are sharpening. Can you help me? Any of you? Any of the 2000 odd souls who inhabit these boring, frozen, godforsaken lands…?

In a riddle whose answer is chess, what is the only prohibited word?

hrafnwasser and Safari Bob like this.
  15. Diziet Sma

Character: Musashi, the samurai.
    Item: A ladle

Safari Bob and hrafnwasser like this.
  16. hrafnwasser

@Boreas - much better in a new thread. Great.

17. hrafnwasser

There I was, in the ビットクレイジー, a bar on the GS Lollipop, just waiting.
    We were 8 lm out from Candy Shop Orbital. The GS Lollipop, cool ethno- and glossospheres all bundled up in one sweet hull.
    I'd often beetle over to the 日本 (Japan) sector and chill in the ビットクレイジー also known as Screw Loose Bar. It was run by a crazy jazz-freak, Haruki Murakami. With his affection for vinyl, the tumbling sound of trumpet and sax and a choice of single malts unequaled outside the Alba sector, Murakami ran the coolest bar on the whole ship. Oh yeah, and he made some of the best club sandwiches.
    This time I was there to interview the famous Miyamoto Musashi, known as “二刀一” or Two Swords Musashi. His dual wield Light-katana made Obi Wan look like an amateur.
    Musashi told me of his first duel, at thirteen, and how being a Space-Ronin had now palled.
    He was to rest his katana and take up playing jazz in the Screw Loose.
    “I had no idea you were a musician…”, I bought a Dalmore, straight, for
    Musashi whilst he explained he was learning the Sonic-Ladle and his name would be Aiken Drum.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  18. hrafnwasser

Oops, did I drop the ball?

Character: Suzie Creamcheese

Item: Stratocaster with a whammy bar