SF Signal to close its doors, permanently.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, May 6, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I wasn't even aware of SF Signal till a little over a year ago...

3. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I've followed them on twitter for years now and often click their links .. They regularly put up interesting posts .. definitely a loss to the SF community, but alas, I fully respect their decision to wind it all up rather than just put less effort into running the site (although I don't necessarily think the latter option would've been a bad thing).

4. Boreas

Another blog I've never heard of closes. Did you know this one too, @TomTB?

I think the reason I'm not bothered by any of this is because I was never involved/aware of organised fandom till I finally joined the BFB forum ca. 2 years ago. I've read SF&F since I was a kid and occasionally came across others who did too, but it was mostly a personal interest as I went hunting for such books in the various franchise/used/speciality book stores. The only person I knew who shared my interest (though much more heavily slanted towards fantasy) was my brother. There was a brief time when I knew a major David Gemmell fan whilst doing A Levels and it was fun chatting fantasy with him for a while. At university, I had two friends who were big time SF&F fans.

Since joining BFB (and other forums), the information, discussions, interviews and commentary I've come across on the industry, authors and their books has been frankly overwhelming. It's been great to finally find a lot of people (albeit online) who share the same reading interests, and my to-read list has certainly gotten higher than I ever thought possible. It used to be a real treat when I came across extraneous information on authors whose works I really liked reading - like coming across their picture to find out what they looked like or those rare video/audio interviews - but that atmosphere of mystery and that exhilaration of new discovery has all but disappeared now. It's gotten to the point where, because of the now easy accessibility of information, I'm beginning to almost feel entitled to know something about an author or opinions on their work before I commence reading, when just the book cover and back blurb used to suffice before.

5. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Very sad. I've guest posted for them and done a mind meld and they were supportive of new authors (within the limits that anywhere can be) and fun to read.

6. Boreas

Wot? Is this a secret Vulcan cabal?

7. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Yes. The initiation hurt.

It was a weekly column where they asked about four or five people to comment on a subject. Mine was authors you were glad you gave a second chance to and I went for Bujold. :)

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

Ah, Bujold. You're going to have to give me some encouragement with her Vorkosigan books. But I'll start a new thread in the mostly empty 'Featured Authors' section with my spiel on the three books I've read and not really been able to get past.

jo zebedee likes this.