SF/F Reading in October 2018

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Safari Bob, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I am reading this:
    [​IMG]

What are you reading?

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I am still on Bear's The Forge of God and the Strahan edited The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Vol. 12. Reading at a glacial pace.

3. yartsev

yartsev New Member

Reality Dysfunction by P.Hamilton.
    You just have to love the space operas to suffer through them.
    It is an audiobook, and it is THE longest I've ever listened to, and in the 27 hours that have passed not much really happened.
    Just to put things into perspective, The Three Body Problem was about 25-27 hours.

4. yartsev

yartsev New Member

It's a second to Eon , isn't it?

5. Boreas

No, it's an independent work, and it has sort of a stand-alone and far-future sequel called The Anvil of Stars which I'd also like to read. TFoG is fairly contemporary.

6. Boreas

Hamilton's writing has always been bloated. Seriously, his Pandora's Star didn't really start to get interesting until somewhere around page 600 when MLM is introduced. It was all like one long, long set-up until then. In contrast, Neal Asher would have wrapped up an entire book by page 600 with plenty of action, world-building and generally cool shit.

7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Forge of God affected me as few books have. It's the way he tells the story more than the plot. I was sorta stunned when I finished it.

Boreas and Diziet Sma like this.
  8. Safari Bob

I am enjoying this now:
    [​IMG]

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

And...? How are you finding it so far? If it is taking you long to read it, it probably means you are not enjoying it the way @kenubrion and I did.:(

I have read about 65% of Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1)by Greg Bear and I'm thoroughly enjoying it: a very smart thought-provoking story.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  10. Safari Bob

Now I am going to have to get that...

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. Boreas

No, I was enjoying it, but then I just stopped reading. For like a month. Only been slowly reading the anthology, but I'm slowly getting back into the reading groove. Want to finish most of the anthology first for the FB discussion, then I'll get back on to FoG. And maybe even join in with the Shadow of the Torturer re-read if I finish on time.
    Did you also read Anvil of Stars?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  12. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I read the sample but have yet to read the book.

Boreas likes this.
  13. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

*Some mild spoilers ahead*
    Pandemic thrillers are hardly a novelty, and I have always enjoyed a well written biological conspiracy.
    "Darwin's Radio" is presented initially to the reader as such. However, the originality of DR is in the sequential process which reveals that humanity is facing speciation. Is it that time again for human evolution to jump ahead and bring forth the "Homo Sapiens Novus"? What can go wrong? Well, for starters, when humans are confronted with a counterintuitive process, the innate ritual of annihilation is well embedded in our behaviour. Will the old passé humans destroy their future evolved descendants...?

One aspect that bothered me a little was the romantic prominence of the two central characters. I enjoy romantic relationships when well-written; then, was I bothered because of my miscalculated expectations? Has Greg Bear a romantic streak which I missed while reading his other work. Is there room for love in hard science fiction?

Regardless of my previous point, "Darwin's Radio" is a smart, thought-provoking story which will force you to reflect upon some of your ethical values. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Boreas and Safari Bob like this.
  14. Safari Bob