SF/F reading in October 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by kenubrion, Oct 1, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Started listening to Armor by John Steakley after a few of you waxed lyrical about it. 1 hour in, cracking start, straight into the meaty bit!

2. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

I finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. Started like fun parody, ended up with deep literary brooding about author vs. the characters. No actual scientific explanation involved. If that's your thing...

Believe it or not, I had actually read the Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. That was intense, but fun read. The science wasn't that hard, it was more of a political thriller. Deep, but not over-complicated.

Meanwhile I devoured a LitRPG Super Sales on Super Heroes. This was among the most fun books in recent weeks and of course least serious. Fun level - comparable by The Laboratory by Skyler Grant or the Black Coven trilogy. Both are very original and desirable doses of mental cocaine. It makes me want to read more books from William D. Arand.

3. TomTB

The middle part of this book has been truly awful. Starting to pick up again now I'm into Part 3, but i nearly threw the towel in. It really was drivel, after a really good start.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Any book suggestions for this All Hallows’ Day? Do you all celebrate this festivity?

5. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

What else? The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Irving. :)

R-Hat and Diziet Sma like this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Dulcis aut dolus. :p

Safari Bob likes this.
  7. TomTB

Reading Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel currently. Well, listening really. Absolutely brilliant so far, about 1/3 in. It's about the discovery of ancient advanced technology and the journey to understand it. It's written in the style of various interviews/meetings. Brilliantly narrated by more than one narrator. Top stuff