SF/F Reading in November 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Safari Bob, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I will be starting The Years of Rice and Salt as soon as it gets here. What are you reading or planning to read this month?

2. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Safar, you inspired me to download the sample of Salt and Rice. This will be my first book by Kim Stanley "Stan" Robinson.

Safari Bob likes this.
  3. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Still on Sleeping Giants. It's fantastic!!!

4. kenubrion

Thanks Tom, you're the first to post about it. I bought it here for $1.99 and just forgot about it. You're hard to please so chances are good it's good. If I don't get to it and you are still raving about it maybe it can be a monthly read for us.

5. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I will begin The Years of Rice and Salt this evening.

Dtyler99 and Safari Bob like this.
  6. Asher Ellis

Asher Ellis New Member

Currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. I've had Sleeping Giants on my wish list for a while now, seems to be well received and written in an interesting way.

7. TomTB

Well I thoroughly recommend the Audiobook if you don't mind listening rather than reading. Some of the best narration I've come across!

8. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I finished Winter Tide last night. It is well-written and has a kind of haunting, lament tone that I quite enjoyed.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. TomTB

Immediately started reading (listening to) the sequel to Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel .. Waking Gods.

Hoping for more of the same from WG. Noticed there is mostly the same cast of narrators, so hopefully it will be!

10. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Book of Dust here...

11. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

One of the greatest lines in Science Fiction: "We may be in a hallucination here, but that gives you no right to be delusional!"

Diziet Sma and kenubrion like this.
  12. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

My reading habits got disturbed a little. Security at work tightened yet again, we are effectively intranet only. Last day there was a chance to smuggle books, so I did. That means I am on a fixed diet of reading at work, no new stuff can be brought in. I hope the 85 books or so will last me a while. I should have done it earlier and bring in more, but that would not solve the problem.

Most of my supply are LitRPGs, so I finally read Luke Chmilenko's Ascend Online. It's tightly written, just 10 days of book time or so, but it's a very nice, classical LitRPG read, with some village building thrown in. Just one book so far.
    Also I read Unkillable by Patrick E. McLean, a short zombie story, from the perspective of an undead guy.
    Next I think that I will read End Online by Wolfin D, it's one of the smuggled stuff. Or maybe I shouldn't burn the candle at both ends, and read different things out and inside work.

13. TomTB

Started the audiobook of Dune today. First time I've read it, safe to say I've gone into it with high expectations!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  14. TomTB

And Artemis arrived with me too today .. will likely go straight into it after I've finished all 21 hours of Dune!

15. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

I started "How to succeed in evil" by Patrick E. McLean. While his book "Unkillable" was short and average, this one is in different league.
    It's about an efficiency consultant for supervillains and it's humorous. Not in the LOL or ROFL kind, but the silent comedy of the absurd and subtle parody. Good read, enjoying it so far.

16. kenubrion

I just started Passage At Arms by Glen Cook.