SF/F Reading in March, 2018

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

For me MST was one of those series which was a bit of a struggle to get through, but once I finished it I looked back and just thought, wow, that was brilliant. One of the best endings to a trilogy I've read too.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Zelazny's Lord of Light. I couldn't resist myself after reading @bzipitidoo's and @ofer's comments.

ofer and Boreas like this.
  3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I read The Icarus Corps trilogy by Zachary Brown over the last couple of days. I got then for a buck at the local library book sale.

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm now well into The Dragonbone Chair - around 35% - and a few chapters into part two. Yes, the first part is very slow, and it takes its sweet time setting up so much background and introducing a plethora of place names that are taxing to keep track of. It also spends a fair amount of time establishing character interactions from a distant perspective and, often, from snatches of conversation (with the main character often in a situation to eavesdrop without such intention). And this time, I didn't mind it all one bit. The great thing is that it's hard to pinpoint when the slow-rolling momentum picks up in some definitive sense. The transition is that smooth. Yes, there is one main plot-point after which the story moves so fast compared to what occurred previously that it almost feels like a roller-coaster for a chapter, but the momentum had been picking up before that, and I just didn't notice.

What I will say is that this luxuriously slow pace over the interval of approximately half a year's worth of time has firmly established behaviour patterns of the protagonist that I find believable. And once he is presented with his out-of-context problem/situation, his actions and thought-patterns seem a natural extension. So, in the end, Williams' slow introduction really seems to have worked.

Also, the descriptions of the castle, all its nooks and crannies and the mood it creates, reminded me a little of Gormenghast from Peake's Titus novels.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  5. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1) by Paul Kearney. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.