SF/F Reading in March 2018

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

What science fiction/fantasy books are you reading as we enter the first month of spring?

2. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I am fixin' to start Annihilation here tomorrow.

Hope likes this.
  3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I have finished Galactic North, and it has been a pleasure meeting Mr. Reynolds. I will be reading his Revelation Space.

I am now looking through my shelves dithering what to pick next...

Kanly and kenubrion like this.
  4. Boreas

Which stories did you like most from Galactic North?

5. Diziet Sma

Great Wall of Mars and A Spy in Europa because of their sense of adventure and the descriptive nature of the different parties in the Revelation Space universe. And Galactic North because I could lose myself beyond the limits of time and the rigidity of logic.

6. Safari Bob

I read The Darkside of the Road by Simon R. Green

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Safari Bob

I read Far-Seer last night. I really enjoyed the narrative working through the scientific evidence for a planetary system.

[​IMG]

Boreas likes this.
  8. Diziet Sma

Safari Bob, aka Speedy Gonzales... ;) Did you also read Annihilation?
    Following GR review system (1 to 5 stars) how many would you give to these books?

9. Safari Bob

I have yet to read Annihilation but I should start it soon, although Ready Player One is supposed to arrive in the mail tonight.

I would give Far-Seer 3.5 out of 5. This is simply my opinion, obviously, YMMV. However, they get a full 2 stars just for Dinosaurs--in space!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  10. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I picked up John Steakley's Armor and I'm almost 50 pages in. Seriously enjoying it!

Boreas likes this.
  11. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Galactic North is the most epic of chase stories! How much time passes during that chase? Something like 30 or 40 thousand years, right?

Boreas likes this.
  12. Diziet Sma

All takes place in a blink of an eye: 40.000 years!

Boreas likes this.
  13. Safari Bob

I started Ready Player One last night. As a person who started high school in 1981, I approve of the nostalgia trip.

Boreas likes this.
  14. Diziet Sma

Barrayar, Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold.
    I'm really enjoying Cordelia's internal dialogs: sharp, witty with enough cynicism without becoming tedious.

Boreas likes this.
  15. Boreas

Yeah, that's the hard bit...doing cynicism right without becoming tedious. While I haven't read nearly enough by Bujold to make a solid observation, the first three Vorkosigan books I've read, though riddled with cynical moments throughout, seem ultimately to be life-affirming.

16. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Armor has confused the hell outta me for a bit. After the amazing story with Felix, it has suddenly switched to a completely different story with a morally questionable character called Jack Crow. I even skipped forward to check whether it goes back to Felix and how long it'll take. But now I'm getting used to Crow, and starting to slowly enjoy Crow's story on its own. But I'm hoping the connection will come soon. The Felix part was some seriously awesome military sci-fi with really great characterization.

17. Boreas

I needed something easy to read, so I've picked up The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. I read the first chapter last year but didn't continue. This time, I'm planning on finishing this massive book. It's been a long time since I've read any fantasy, and especially of the traditional epic variety.

Safari Bob likes this.
  18. Safari Bob

I know I should like that book but I just can't. I have tried to read it a couple of times and just abandoned it.

19. Boreas

I tried reading it during my teens, and couldn't get past the 100-150 page mark. I've been told by more than three people that this initial section is the hard bit to get through, and then it really takes off. I get what they mean...I say the same thing about Neal Stephenson's Anathem, which is one of my favourite contemporary SF works and which also needs the first 100 or so pages before it really takes off. So, I'm going to give the Tad Williams book a proper go this time.

20. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I felt the same. Unfortunately for me the book never improved, and I think I ended up giving it a 2 star rating. It's a much loved book though so no doubt I'm in the minority. Again :)